• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I killed Bambi today!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
First day out on the haybine, second round, and I get a bambi. Sunday morning, no less. I am so doomed for the rest of the season!!! If that all doesn't stack up as bad luck against me, I don't know what else could. As a side-note, them little buggers can sure twitch and flop around just like a chicken with it's head cut off when you cut theirs off. :wink: :) (I know. Sick woman, need professional help.) :oops: I just think of it as one less deer we will have to deal with around here later.

Good riddance is the only response necessary. You should see one go through a 12' discbine wound up to 2200 rpm with 115hp on the front end. You have to really be paying attention to even notice it. I've found 140-150lb does lying in the windrow on the next pass without knowing I hit anything.
Taking turkeys off their nests is a good turn too, you can get 7 or 8 of them with one shot.

I wouldnt be spreading this news around DaleK as it is a offence under the wildlife act to kill wildlife with haying equipment.

How the hell are you supposed to avoid some wildlife casualties? I've seen those Canadian bird bars, do they work? I've seen a tough cowboy almost quit us when he clipped the legs off a fawn, and I certainly didn't ask him to get back on the swather.

I agree, we have to be carelful. they don't care about the stories of how we saved a calf, cow, horse, pig, or any other animal. I'm sure you all have a story.

I've got smaller fields than most of you guys but TONS of deer. I've started running my dogs in the field before I cut hay to flush out any unwanted critters.

I've cut up too many skunks over the years...and ....ugh...such a mess!!!!

The hardest tie of year for us as far as wildlife is concerned is that first cutting of Alfalfa hay. And anyone who has cut hay for us always talks about how much it stucks to hit one. Hasn't happened to often but it has happened at least one time I can think of... Pretty nasty to drive by any hay field around here right after being cut, the turkey vultures are there in force cleaning up. I really don't know what you can do to avoid it.. I know of one person who runs a four wheeler infront of his windrower to try to bump the critters up before he can gets there. Our deer population is so darn thick here

Shelley why the heck didn't you tell me the Robin's Nest didn't open till 10'00 on Sunday-I stopped in at 8'30 for breakfast and it was closed. My favorite waitress wasn't there at noon either-what a BUMMER!!!!

I think of myself as pretty tough, but I think that would be hard for me to deal with...

We have lots of pheasants where I live. I often thought it would be something to contact the Pheasants forever group and get some guys with Dogs to run in front of Swathers and Combines. Give the dogs some work and excersize and increase the huntable bird population that fall,

PPRM

Northern Rancher said:
Shelley why the heck didn't you tell me the Robin's Nest didn't open till 10'00 on Sunday-I stopped in at 8'30 for breakfast and it was closed. My favorite waitress wasn't there at noon either-what a BUMMER!!!!

You came on Sunday?? I thought you said Saturday. We must've just missed you, we were out haying and didn't have lunch till 1 or so. And Tori doesn't work weekends. But I sure enjoy the female eye-candy that's there on Sundays! :wink: Gonna miss him when he moves to Alberta come fall.

Shely,

If it helps, we can send a life-size poster of haymaker for you ladies to put up in place of the guy you are talking about.....PPRM ducks for cover, LOL,

PPRM

About this bambi thing yesterday, don't think I wasn't freaking out about it! I hate getting little critters, but it happens.

I don't know who "they" are, but "they" say there is 400,000 deer in Sask., and I think minus the one I got yesterday, the other 399,999 live right here in this general area. They are the scourge of the earth. Ask anyone who lives around here. They are one of the major causes for headaches for farmers. They wreck bales by pawing them up, pissing and crapping on them. They mess in the grain swaths, same way, and it's hard to find a home for grain polluted with feces. Accidents galore on the roads because people swerve to miss one deer, only to hit another.

No, I didn't like taking a life that way, but I see it as one less adult deer that will be a pain in somebody's butt later in life. Nuff said.

PPRM said:
Shely,

If it helps, we can send a life-size poster of haymaker for you ladies to put up in place of the guy you are talking about.....PPRM ducks for cover, LOL,

PPRM

Funny! No offense to Haymaker, but he doesn't hold a candle to this young fellow. Besides, if cowsense and Northern Rancher knew Haymaker's poster was up in Robin's, they'd probably both be stopping in just to throw darts at it!

Shelly said:
About this bambi thing yesterday, don't think I wasn't freaking out about it! I hate getting little critters, but it happens.

I don't know who "they" are, but "they" say there is 400,000 deer in Sask., and I think minus the one I got yesterday, the other 399,999 live right here in this general area. They are the scourge of the earth. Ask anyone who lives around here. They are one of the major causes for headaches for farmers. They wreck bales by pawing them up, pissing and crapping on them. They mess in the grain swaths, same way, and it's hard to find a home for grain polluted with feces. Accidents galore on the roads because people swerve to miss one deer, only to hit another.

No, I didn't like taking a life that way, but I see it as one less adult deer that will be a pain in somebody's butt later in life. Nuff said.

Good for you, girl!!! We should not feel the need to hide from "them"!! Yes, what happened to you was "ugly", but IT HAPPENS!!!! We have had our share of mishaps and they are not always avoidable!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I would'nt even post such a thing.You should edit your whole post title and all it's plain sick.If you have problems with the deer by all means take care of them but not reporting it in this manner.We have enough problems in agriculture without brewing some more..

Thanks, Denny. That was the point I was trying to make. These things do happen, we all hate it. Shelly's original post sounded like she was gleeful that it happened because the deer are such a problem.

Some of these posts make getting rid of bothersome animals, regardless of how it happens, sound enjoyable.

I don't care how many deer there are,
a little animal is a little animal.

I wish Shelly would change the name of this thread. Makes me feel
bad just to read the title.

And ya just can't be too careful, I'm tellin ya.

When something like this happen's to me I feel like a heel for the rest of that day no matter what it was.If someone feels rejoiceful after such an incident that just baffle's me..

Hubby "got" a baby antelope last summer in the alfalfa field with the mower and he was down and out for weeks!! Just could not get over the sight!! Like the rest of us, hurtin' animals really gets to him!! :cry:

ranchwife said:
Shelly said:

Good for you, girl!!! We should not feel the need to hide from "them"!! Yes, what happened to you was "ugly", but IT HAPPENS!!!! We have had our share of mishaps and they are not always avoidable!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
I agree Ranchwife,this stuff happens,not nice but not intentional either! :roll:

Latest posts