• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I suppose R-calf will get blamed for this.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
:D :D :D

Swift & Company Will Cut Back Shifts
By Pork news staff
(Friday, April 22, 2005)

Swift & Company officials today announced that the packer will cut back production at each of its three pork processing plants by 20 percent during the week of April 25. The officials cited unseasonably high hog prices and reduced industry margins as the reasons for this action.

Each of the company's pork processing plants, which are located in Louisville, Ky.; Marshalltown, Iowa, and Worthington, Minn., will reduce production down to 32 hours for the coming week.

Swift & Company news release

Sounds like those greedy hog farmers are concentrating solely on the checkbooks and not worrying about the house wife trying to feed her kids pork............. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Les said:
just like the greedy r-calfers

I think it a bit odd that some Canadians chastise R-CALF members for advocating keeping the border closed for economic gain as it prevents the economic gains they would achieve themselves by selling their cattle here. :roll: :wink:

Les said:

Layman's terms - it's crap that some Canadians cuss R-CALF members wanting to keep the border closed so they can make more money - yet making money is the very reason Canadians want it opened.

Yup, I remember back in the second half of the 90s shipping hogs to Worthington, prices were going south fast getting into the low teens. Every Monday morning we'd send out a load. At that point they would call and say they couldn't take our hogs, they were full up with Canadian hogs. We always tryed to ship in the 240 to 250 lb range so the delay would put them over 260 we'd get docked later, and when the price is almost at rock bottom there's not much left after a dock.

But the believers in the industry that we were we happily took the prices so single mothers could afford pork. We happily went to the super market to personally watch them happily being able to buy pork. But there wasn't much in the way of poor single mothers at the meat counter. We looked at the prices and pork chops were going for $4.99 a pound and pork roast for $4.29 a pound. I guess we didn't lower our hogs in price enough. Felt guilty to this day. :cry:

Sandhusker said:
Les said:

Layman's terms - it's crap that some Canadians cuss R-CALF members wanting to keep the border closed so they can make more money - yet making money is the very reason Canadians want it opened.

That was a mouth full Sandhusker! Are you saying that by eliminating competition one stands to gain a bigger piece of the pie? Are you saying this is all about money? On both sides of the border? Come on! :shock:

Mike said:
Sandhusker said:
Les said:

That was a mouth full Sandhusker! Are you saying that by eliminating competition one stands to gain a bigger piece of the pie? Are you saying this is all about money? On both sides of the border? Come on! :shock:

Call me crazy.............

Latest posts