• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

IBM - More U.S. Jobs Lost to Offshore

Help Support Ranchers.net:

agman

Reaction score
reader (the Second) said:
Market Pulse: IBM to hire 14,000 in India, NY Times reports
Friday June 24, 6:21 am ET
By Abby Deveney

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- IBM plans to increase its payroll in India this year by 14,000 workers, even as it cuts 13,000 jobs in Europe and the United States, the New York Times reported on its Web site Friday. "IBM is really pushing this offshore outsourcing to relentlessly cut costs and to export skilled jobs abroad," said Marcus Courtney, president of the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers, or WashTech, a group that seeks to unionize such workers. "The winners are the richest corporations in the world, and American workers lose."

Airbus announced a new $600 million dollar plant to be built in the U.S. Interesting how that never made the headlines of the news. BTW, Hyundi is also building a new plant in the U.S. Insourcing never seems to make the headlines of the news, I wonder why?

Per the Labor Department the annual job loss to outsourcing approximates 100,000 per year, generally low skill jobs. Insourcing results in the hiring of skilled, more highly paid workers. How do you explain the continued job growth in this country, 180,000 per month on average per the payroll survey and 350,000 per month basis the household survey, when the headlines always discuss outsourcing-just curious? Why does total employment keep rising? Have a great day.

agman said:
By Abby Deveney

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- IBM plans to increase its payroll in India this year by 14,000 workers, even as it cuts 13,000 jobs in Europe and the United States, the New York Times reported on its Web site Friday. "IBM is really pushing this offshore outsourcing to relentlessly cut costs and to export skilled jobs abroad," said Marcus Courtney, president of the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers, or WashTech, a group that seeks to unionize such workers. "The winners are the richest corporations in the world, and American workers lose."

Airbus announced a new $600 million dollar plant to be built in the U.S. Interesting how that never made the headlines of the news. BTW, Hyundi is also building a new plant in the U.S. Insourcing never seems to make the headlines of the news, I wonder why?

Per the Labor Department the annual job loss to outsourcing approximates 100,000 per year, generally low skill jobs. Insourcing results in the hiring of skilled, more highly paid workers. How do you explain the continued job growth in this country, 180,000 per month on average per the payroll survey and 350,000 per month basis the household survey, when the headlines always discuss outsourcing-just curious? Why does total employment keep rising? Have a great day.

You are right. Hyundai is building a plant not 5 miles from me and Airbus is locating down the road 160 miles to Mobile. But do you know what we are having to give away just for these people to come in? State, County, and City has given/promised over a billion to Hyundai to locate here, I have no idea what the incentive plan is worth in Mobile, but you can bet it's a bunch. It's a joke around here.

I know what you mean. Toyota has plans for a new plant in Ontario, and I understand that it will cost the taxpayer about 125 million. Yippee.

Mike said:
agman said:
By Abby Deveney

You are right. Hyundai is building a plant not 5 miles from me and Airbus is locating down the road 160 miles to Mobile. But do you know what we are having to give away just for these people to come in? State, County, and City has given/promised over a billion to Hyundai to locate here, I have no idea what the incentive plan is worth in Mobile, but you can bet it's a bunch. It's a joke around here.

How long do you think the pay back will take? U.S. companies also get concessions when they locate overseas. The battle for dollars is from states and communities who want the jobs and the inherent long term gains. Why can you not focus on the results? How do we as a country create more jobs than any country and many industrialized combined countries exclusive of China? With all the non-believers, negative attitudes and negative press coverage we should have been in a permanent depression for the past 75 years. The facts prove quite differently-why?

agman said:
Mike said:
agman said:

How long do you think the pay back will take? U.S. companies also get concessions when they locate overseas. The battle for dollars is from states and communities who want the jobs and the inherent long term gains. Why can you not focus on the results? How do we as a country create more jobs than any country and many industrialized combined countries exclusive of China? With all the non-believers, negative attitudes and negative press coverage we should have been in a permanent depression for the past 75 years. The facts prove quite differently-why?

My point is, that the excessively priced job buying that has sprung up in the last few years are all going to out-of-country companies. We both know that small business employs a hell of a lot more people than the "biggies". Why not take that "job buying" money and invest in smaller local business?
By making low interest loans you could grow the local economy without the risk of the biggies pulling out. Like Hyundai did in Canada.

it's okay boys, looks like the chinese will be hiring americans!!!!

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050624/D8ATU5RG0.html

Mike said:
agman said:
Mike said:

My point is, that the excessively priced job buying that has sprung up in the last few years are all going to out-of-country companies. We both know that small business employs a hell of a lot more people than the "biggies". Why not take that "job buying" money and invest in smaller local business?
By making low interest loans you could grow the local economy without the risk of the biggies pulling out. Like Hyundai did in Canada.

Don you are correct in that small business are the job creation machine in this country. There are many programs in place to assist small business also. You don't hear about them for the same reason most people are not aware that the bulk of job creation is by small companies. It just is not big news. Larger domestic companies have access too and obtain the same support as foreign countries investing in the U.S. I know of no distinction, domestic versus foreign.

Latest posts