• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

IGR for fly control

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but would like to see if anyone has any new thoughts on it. We are considering using mineral with Altosid in it this summer. Who uses it, likes it, doesn't like it, and why or why not?

Seems like Rabon is effective against more species of flies, but there don't seem to be as many companies using it.

Our customers use it with great success, Nicky. Rabon is bitter and it's hard to get the cows to eat mineral with Rabon, whereas the IGR has no taste. It's the horn flies that cause the most economic loss and the reason why cattle bunch up during the day.

You'll see added weight to your calves due to the cows not bunching up. They'll stay out grazing. When cattle bunch up, they aren't making you money. You will always see some flies on your cattle, so don't expect to
eliminate all the flies. That will never happen. The way you will know that your fly control is working, is that the cattle are grazing.

They have to eat the mineral to get the IGR, so be sure to be diligent in keeping it out. Ours is designed so that a 2 oz. intake will provide enough IGR to control the flies.

Notice I said "control", not eliminate. That will never happen.

Has anyone explained to you how the IGR works? It interrupts the life cycle of the horn fly. Put the mineral out when you get a 60 degree day, or a couple in a row and then LEAVE it out til after the first frost. One mistake ranchers make is not keeping it out long enough in the fall. If you keep it out, you won't have the over-wintering of flies and therefore, there will be less hatch in the spring.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. We've worked with IGR for many years now.

You can buy Altosid by the bag and add to the mineral if you think the fly load warrants it. We have one customer who thinks his cows are too big for the 'normal' dose of IGR, so in August, after that second big hatch, he adds a little more to his mineral. FWIW

FH is right as rain.

LOOMIX is available with either Altosid or Rabon. I carry the liquid with the Altosid. Rabon turns the liquid into a substitute for tar. The cows eat it with no problems, but it's a female dog to suck up a trough to move it, and my customers like to move troughs frequently during grazing season to encourage grazing where they may not normally graze. The liquid with IGR pumps and flows wonderfully.

Do you see good results the first year, or is it more of a long term deal? What about if the neighbors cows are against the fence? Most of my pastures are plenty big, where we don't have to worry about it too much, but I do have a smaller pasture, and always end up with the cows against each other for a week.

From the minute you put it out until the first hatch there will be zero improvement. You are interrupting the life cycle of the fly, not killing flies that already exist. The neighbor's cows will always be an issue, but flies don't get much more than 1/8 of a mile away from where they hatched.
The quicker you get it out the sooner the control can begin....and keep it out until the first good hard freeze!

loomixguy said:
From the minute you put it out until the first hatch there will be zero improvement. You are interrupting the life cycle of the fly, not killing flies that already exist. The neighbor's cows will always be an issue, but flies don't get much more than 1/8 of a mile away from where they hatched.
The quicker you get it out the sooner the control can begin....and keep it out until the first good hard freeze!

Loomix guy is right as rain. :D

Horn flies don't travel far from the host animal. If you do see some flies from the neighbors, in a couple of weeks, those flies won't be around in the numbers you saw at first. Really, it's not that big a problem.

And yes, WP, you do see huge improvement the first year because you have interrupted the life cycle of the horn fly. The eggs hatch prematurely and they can't fly and they die. Guess I failed to mention that.

By keeping iit out long enough in the fall, there won't be as many eggs that overwinter and you'll see less of a hatch in the spring.

Good questions!

We used it years ago and when the cattle ate the mineral it worked.

Wish we could still get it across the border.

That is a sore point with me as the USA can use so many products that we can't but the beef trades freely. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:

That is a sore point with me as the USA can use so many products that we can't but the beef trades freely. :?

I wish you could too.
Are you sure it's the USA or is it Canada that won't allow it across?
I think it's Canada. USA gets a lot from Canada but we can't send anything up there. It is the pitts.

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I wish you could too.
I think it's Canada. USA gets a lot from Canada but we can't send anything up there. It is the pitts.

It's Canada. The CFIA won't let us import lots of products that are used on US cattle but they allow the cattle into Canada.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I wish you could too.

It's Canada. The CFIA won't let us import lots of products that are used on US cattle but they allow the cattle into Canada.

Gotcha!

I'm actually picking my first batch up tomorrow.

I fought Eye issues last year. It wouldn't take much mineral with IGR to pay the treatment we had to do back. Plus really nice replacement kind of heifers I would of normally kept.

We changed mineral this winter and have already seen great results. Now fly season is about here. I feel if I can reduce the number of flies, it should make my other measures more effective.

PPRM said:

I fought Eye issues last year. It wouldn't take much mineral with IGR to pay the treatment we had to do back. Plus really nice replacement kind of heifers I would of normally kept.

We changed mineral this winter and have already seen great results. Now fly season is about here. I feel if I can reduce the number of flies, it should make my other measures more effective.

What are you using now?

Vigortone has IGR with CTC and we sell quite a bit of it. It's a very
popular product. The CTC helps with hoof rot and pink eye. Especially
for those whose cattle aren't on a year-round mineral program.

As I said earlier, using IGR will add pounds to your calves so most
people find it very advantageous to using it.

I have a price from Vigertone on some igr/ctc and am also getting my local mineral maker to come up with a price. Buying mineral by the ton is the only way isn't it?? LOL people look at me like I am crazy when I get a ton at a time. To them 2 bags is a lot I guess.

4Diamond said:
I have a price from Vigertone on some igr/ctc and am also getting my local mineral maker to come up with a price. Buying mineral by the ton is the only way isn't it?? LOL people look at me like I am crazy when I get a ton at a time. To them 2 bags is a lot I guess.

Glad to be of help. Some people don't realize what it means to be on a
year-round mineral program. You're just ahead of the bunch. :D Make
sure that CTC is from the USA. Some companies use CTC from China because it's cheaper. It's not a good product.

IGR and CTC work better when it's fed before fly season
Starts. The years I got it out on time it works ok but still had a few flys

One issue is the neighbors that do not use it you still problems with flys

I try to buy the best mineral reguardless of price if the cows eat it
These new ground based Sioux mineral feeders keep the mineral drier
And the calves can get to it hopefully these new feeders will help keep the
Varments out better
The cheaper feed company minerals donot work for me
Cattle do not eat that much mineral so the best you can get in them do it

I am not a mineral salesman

Faster horses said:
4Diamond said:

Glad to be of help. Some people don't realize what it means to be on a
year-round mineral program. You're just ahead of the bunch. :D Make
sure that CTC is from the USA. Some companies use CTC from China because it's cheaper. It's not a good product.

We have always been on a year round mineral problem. Mineral is something that at times is hard to see the positives BUT I think the negatives of not having a program stand out easily. Yes it's expensive BUT lose a calf or 2 or a cow from deficiencies and then tell me how expensive mineral is....

Nicky said:
PPRM said:

What are you using now?

CHS Ultimin 12-6 on the mineral. Piliguard, IBR/BRSV shots, Saber and fly tags on the preventative eye control

Latest posts