• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I'm a PURPLE people

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I don't know if this poll means anything or not- but the interesting thing about this article is I finally found out where I fit in the scheme--Remaining Independent-Not being a Republican (red) or a Democrat (blue) on state and federal elections--I and it looks like a majority of the state are PURPLE!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

November 11, 2005

Last modified November 11, 2005 - 12:59 am

Schweitzer gets majority nod in poll
By MARY PICKETT
Of The Gazette Staff

Most Montanans like the way Gov. Brian Schweitzer is doing his job, according to a poll conducted by Montana State University-Billings students.

More than 68 percent of the 401 state residents interviewed for the poll taken the first week in November said that they approved of Schweitzer's job performance. More than 14 percent disapproved, and about 17 percent were undecided.

The highest approval rating that Schweitzer's predecessor, Judy Martz, received was nearly 37 percent in 2001, said Craig Wilson, MSU-Billings political science professor and a co-director of the poll with sociology professor Joe Floyd.

Former Gov. Marc Racicot hit his highest rating of more than 87 percent in 1998.

Results of the MSU-Billings poll were released Wednesday and Thursday.

Students in Floyd and Wilson's classes interviewed people during a statewide, random-sample telephone survey. Survey results have a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percent.

After last year's election in which Montana elected a Democrat for governor and more Democrats than Republicans to the Montana Senate, Wilson was asked if Montana was still a red - that is a Republican - state.

The results of the recent MSU-Billings poll indicate the state can best be described as purple, Wilson said Thursday.

The poll not only indicates some shift of independent voters away from Republicans toward Democrats, but also shows that for the first time in several years a higher percentage of Montanans said they would vote for Democrats rather than Republicans for the state House of Representatives if the election were held today, Wilson said.

About 38 percent of those polled said they would vote Democratic in such a race, and about 33 percent would choose Republican candidates.

More than 66 percent of those polled approved of the job that Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., was doing, with more than 18 percent disapproving.

Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., only received about a 48 percent approval rating. About 31 percent disapproved.

onthenet
Full results of the MSU-B Poll
(pdf)
The state's lone congressman, Dennis Rehberg, a Republican, had a nearly 50 percent approval rating.

The poll also asked how important religion was in the respondent's life. Nearly 42 percent said that it was very important.

Religion correlated strongly to the way some people answered questions. The more religious a respondent was, the higher the job rating they gave Burns, Floyd said.

The poll also showed that:

More than 41 percent of those polled favored raising the state's current minimum wage of $5.15 to $7.15 an hour. Thirty-nine percent said it should be raised to 39 percent and more than 14 percent said it should remain the same.

Nearly 73 percent supported the hunting of some buffalo as they enter Montana from Yellowstone National Park.

Nearly 57 percent favored delisting the gray wolf as an endangered species. Almost 28 percent said they opposed such a move.

Forty percent said the higher price of gasoline had not curtailed their driving. About 27 percent said they were driving a lot less, and nearly 33 percent said they were driving a little less.

Nearly 82 percent supported the state's new law that prohibits drinking from an open alcoholic-beverage container while driving.

I think being purple can be a good thing. I don't want the Dems to take the House, Senate and Presidency. When either party is totally in control it seems things get out of hand. But we need more balance, more willingness to compromise in DC. The Bush Bunch won't compromise on anything; you're either for them or against them. What they've done to the political atmosphere in DC is a shame.

Steve said:
But we need more balance, more willingness to compromise.

and maybe you could show US one example of where you have compromised?????

I can compromise. If Bush would set some sort of guidelines that will indicate when our soldiers can come home from Iraq, compromise might be possible. Until then, I'll edit that to "more willingness to compromise in DC." :p

Latest posts