• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I'm new to farming and need some expert advice.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I don't know about the "paint loving fools" but I bought a 4230 JD with a sound guard (very modern at the time) in 1974 and just sold it. I looked it up and I paid $14,400 for it and put 11,853 hours on it. When I sold it ( my son feels it is to small to work with - - - it also had an AM radio / he felt that was an insult) I got $15,500 :D

I don't know if I could have had that experience with an "off color" machine or not :roll:

George said:
I don't know about the "paint loving fools" but I bought a 4230 JD with a sound guard (very modern at the time) in 1974 and just sold it. I looked it up and I paid $14,400 for it and put 11,853 hours on it. When I sold it ( my son feels it is to small to work with - - - it also had an AM radio / he felt that was an insult) I got $15,500 :D

I don't know if I could have had that experience with an "off color" machine or not :roll:
George - I am just curious. How much does a NEW 4230 JD cost today (with a better AM/FM system)? Or is that still too small to work with? How much did your new one cost? Does it have satellite capabilities? Computer functions? Television reception? Can you work with the Tractor and still be on Ranchers.net at the same time???? - - - and does your wife know??

Denny do you use Belarus tractors? Were do you get parts? They are dirt cheap around here and i think one would be nice for a feedwagon and bale processor. I could buy 4-5 of them with less hours than a CIH of the same era.

JD does not make a 4230 any longer but I will have to ask my son what a newer version cost.

The newest tractor we own now is a JD 8450 MFWD and I believe it is about a 1985 model - - - we also have a 4010, 4020, 4440, and 4640 the 4010 and 4020 are used mostly in hay :D and mowing pastures :) as they don't have cabs - - - I believe both of them would bring as much or more that what we paid for them :D . The 4440 mand 4640 both have GPS guidance systems on them :roll: as well as out spray rig - - - If you can believe sonny boys numbers the savings in chemicalls and seed paid for the systems in three to five years :wink: and boosted yields as well due to compaction control. :D

Sonny just called me , I need to sign for the new combine ( we lease a combine with 2 seasons on it each year - - - that gives us a full warranty and latest updates - - - tax deductible) and we will need to take the dozer over there as it is to high to go in the barn. We lowered the floor to 14' two years ago - - -he says we need at least another 6" to get in the door. I will have to go over and see what the fuss is about. Last year he took out the main power line to the town of Greensboro with the anhydrous applicator :!: and now it looks like the combine might be a little high for my taste. :roll:

George said:
JD does not make a 4230 any longer but I will have to ask my son what a newer version cost.

The newest tractor we own now is a JD 8450 MFWD and I believe it is about a 1985 model - - - we also have a 4010, 4020, 4440, and 4640 the 4010 and 4020 are used mostly in hay :D and mowing pastures :) as they don't have cabs - - - I believe both of them would bring as much or more that what we paid for them :D . The 4440 mand 4640 both have GPS guidance systems on them :roll: as well as out spray rig - - - If you can believe sonny boys numbers the savings in chemicalls and seed paid for the systems in three to five years :wink: and boosted yields as well due to compaction control. :D

Sonny just called me , I need to sign for the new combine ( we lease a combine with 2 seasons on it each year - - - that gives us a full warranty and latest updates - - - tax deductible) and we will need to take the dozer over there as it is to high to go in the barn. We lowered the floor to 14' two years ago - - -he says we need at least another 6" to get in the door. I will have to go over and see what the fuss is about. Last year he took out the main power line to the town of Greensboro with the anhydrous applicator :!: and now it looks like the combine might be a little high for my taste. :roll:
- - - WOW! That is an impressive operation! But - - can you still stay in touch with Ranchers.net while you are working? :lol: :lol: The GPS should allow you to do that!

Latest posts