• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Impaled on a piece of protruding pipe

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
This is a neighbor's cow that I saw while driving down the highway. It was such a unique death, that I had to drive over to capture the moment with the camera. The cow had evidently jumped up on another cow, and came down on top of an old well pipe. It would be a bad way to die.
Impaleduponapieceofprotrudingpipe.jpg

Poor old cow
Deaderthanadoornail.jpg

Deader than a doornail
Deadcow.jpg

She's a goner. Her troubles are over.

Oh my god...That is something that would happen on this farm.. If cow can get hurt on something it will but I have never seen anything like that,

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I have never seen anythin like that before. What a way to die. Bet she never knew what happened.

Yep I 've seen and investigated 100's of cow deaths- but that has to be the most unique...

That is something else. Too bad for the ole cow.
I'm glad you showed us the picture, Soap, but srue feel sorry for the cow.

We had an old scale on the ranch in Wyoming and the hole was still
in the ground. There were some boards covering it, but not completely.
We were missing a calf and could not find it. Somehow, and I don't remember how, we found him in that hole under the old scale.
We did get him out alive. Seems like they look for ways to perish
sometimes.

I've seen cows get into barns and die before the neighbor knew she was missing. I've seen them choke on various items. I've heard of cows stuck with their head hung in a fork on a tree. Other than getting killed by a falling star I guess this would be hard to top.

What a picture Soapweed.

We had cattle on summer range years ago, and had a wild char. calf that had lost his mother. I decided to rope the calf and bring him home with a couple other calves we were bottle feeding. When I got this calf home, he fought like a bearcat, and it took me days to finally get him to take the bottle. He was as tough as you would find to get to suck a bottle. But finally I succeeded. After a while I turned these 3 calves out in a small lot, and unbenounst to me there was a 2 1/2 ft. steel post sticking up in the weeds, and you know the rest of the story. I think he must have been riding another calf, and impaled himself on it. I sure watch for such things better now though. :(

Oh, God......what a terrible accident! Sure makes ya take a closer look at your critter's homes, to make sure there isn't something they can get hurt or worse, on.

Great pics, Soapweed.........just wish it had of had a better outcome........ :(

AAAAAA that is terrible. It's like watching a train wreck, can't help but looking. We live smack dab in the middle of an oil field and although have never had a cow die like that, we have had several from oil hardware, one heifer this spring was rubbing or laying under the head of an oilwell when it came down it killed her. There is no end to what can happen in a closed off enviroment, so it doesn't surprise me what happens elsewhere.

Years ago, I had a horse that came down on a post in his midsection on his side -- thank goodness. Figured him and another horse were messing around and he reared up and came down on it.

By the time the vet got there, it was too late to stitch it, so we just kept doing the "hydro" therapy and it healed from the inside out and didn't leave a scar...we were lucky.

Darn shame to see that cow die that way. Hopefully it was a quick death...

That pipe was about chest high to me and Soapweed and we aren't stumpy fellers so she had to have gotton up pretty high to get on it.

Mrs. Saddletramp thinks it was a whirlwind that picked her up and dropped her........I say it was Aliens that dropped her from a space ship after they examined her. I'm sticking with my story..... who ever heard of a whirlwind picking up a cow? :lol: :lol:

man that is pretty sad. I remember when I was about 10 they had in western horsemen a picture of a horse who ran a fence post clean through from front to back. There is no telling how these animals can get into trouble.

saddletramp I can tell you didnt see Twister.....they had a cow in one of the twisters........ :wink:

Saddle Tramp........I don't suppose you could talk the ranch picturetaker into camping out and bringing genuine photographic proof to the boards of just what is tossing these Nebraska cows around!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

My lord... I sure hope he takes the poor old dead cow off the post/pipe whatever it is!!!

Just seems disrespectful some how... :???: :???: :???: ..pull her off and drag her to someplace for buzzard bait.

Your neighbor soapweed could sell her to some merry go round manufacturer . If the pipe went out the top you could just put her in place on the merry go round and let the kids ride her.

Well I for one am glad Soapweed took photos. It's things like this that really make a person stop and think about what they may have in their pasture that could cause a death or injury that could have been otherwise prevented. Critters can do some strange things, sometimes we, as their keepers, need to be reminded of that fact. Somethin we see everyday and think nothin about might end up like this case.

Latest posts