• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

In your travle;

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
have you noticed hay derrick constructed like the following pictures ? The one my Dad built hand pivot point like the one in the picture. In my travels around the country, I've been able to find only two. One in Grantsville Ut and the other in Callao Ut. (on the Nevada border) I'd be interested to know if there are others, in your part of the world.

My older brother told me that my Dad got the idea while in the San Diego ship yards, watching ships being loaded.

SoGrantsville-LarryRussell_Ray_11April07021.jpg

SoGrantsville-LarryRussell_Ray_11April07022.jpg

SoGrantsville-LarryRussell_Ray_11April07019.jpg

LucinToGoldHill15thJan2009057.jpg

I saw one of them once. It was while looking out of a train window. Yes, it was in Utah and years and years ago. Have seen pictures of them since, always wondered how well they worked. They don't look very stable to me. I believe they called them a Pole and Derrick Stacker.

Clarencen said:
I saw one of them once. It was while looking out of a train window. Yes, it was in Utah and years and years ago. Have seen pictures of them since, always wondered how well they worked. They don't look very stable to me. I believe they called them a Pole and Derrick Stacker.

Hey Clarencen,,,
I guess now I'll have to follow the train tracks all over Utah now,,,, :)

I've seen all kinds of mechanisms to hold the boom pole to the mast. In our area the most common is an A frame with a chain to hold the boom pole to the A frame.
My Dad built the biggest and tallest hay stacks in our neighbor hood. (Northern Utah) I would estimate them to be fifty to sixty feet tall. We used Nets rather than the more common Jackson Fork. The Nets took a half load off the wagon at a time. We used a team of horses to pull the load, they were referred to as the Derrick horses. I've never seen this process used anywhere sense.

Latest posts