• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

info on hancock horses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sorry I have beentrying to get the photos up but working from my phone I can't get it to work.
Anyway I brought the mare home today for a week long trial. And I'm sure I'll probably end up keeping her. Just rode around the arena today. She hadn't been ridden for a month, and she wasn't cold backed at all. She is really green but seems to have a level head and is very willing. Will try to get pics tomorrow, can't seem to get them up here but could email them to anyone interested.

I wish you the best of luck with your new horse. If she is anything like our horses I'm sure you will enjoy her. What are you planning on using her for?

I've ridden a fair number of horses with some sort of Hancock blood line. I can't remember one that wasn't tough. I ride a palimino gelding that is pretty nice, his main fault is he can't run fast enough to save his soul. We came to an agreement when I started him, he decided he could buck me off anytime he wanted and after driving my head in the ground 3 times over the course of a couple of years, I agreed. Now I try to avoid the subject and we get along fine. My 3yr old son rode him today and got along great.

C-E said:
Sorry I have beentrying to get the photos up but working from my phone I can't get it to work.
Anyway I brought the mare home today for a week long trial. And I'm sure I'll probably end up keeping her. Just rode around the arena today. She hadn't been ridden for a month, and she wasn't cold backed at all. She is really green but seems to have a level head and is very willing. Will try to get pics tomorrow, can't seem to get them up here but could email them to anyone interested.

So, how is the new mare working out? Would love to see some pictures of her when you get the chance.

She was a very good looking horse, but looks aren't everything. She was even more green then advertised. I kept her for a week on a trial basis, and I couldn't get her to do anything. From the ground or the saddle. She probably could have been a great horse if she had been started right, I think what it came down to was whoever started her had absolutely no clue what they were doing. And a trip to the vet found that she probably wasn't even breeding sound. I did ride her about 3 times and I don't think she had a ounce of buck in her, she just didn't know anything and I don't have time to teach an old dog new tricks. So the search continues.

C-E said:
She was a very good looking horse, but looks aren't everything. She was even more green then advertised. I kept her for a week on a trial basis, and I couldn't get her to do anything. From the ground or the saddle. She probably could have been a great horse if she had been started right, I think what it came down to was whoever started her had absolutely no clue what they were doing. And a trip to the vet found that she probably wasn't even breeding sound. I did ride her about 3 times and I don't think she had a ounce of buck in her, she just didn't know anything and I don't have time to teach an old dog new tricks. So the search continues.

Well, I guess all is well that ends well. I'm glad to hear that, in finding out that she wasn't what you wanted, you didn't have to come to that decision from her causing a wreck or putting you in a bad spot.

What is it that you're trying to find?

Big Muddy rancher said:
jamiehuggins said:
WHR said:
I just have to ask ,at the risk of starting something. Which are the two bloodlines you are referring to? I would have thought that there were more than two. I realize that there has to be many exceptions Anyway I am curious.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Yes of course Hancock was bred to many mares, if that's what you are saying. What I was referring to, is there seems to be, as I have witnessed and heard several people with experience in Hancock horses say, that there are two main lines that go back to him. One is the line that raises bucking horses, and the other line is the calmer line with little if any buck.

Can you differentiate those lines by name?

I can tell you one thing, the Roan Hancocks are broncy.
And they don't have much heart.

We had a Tom Hancock bred gelding at one time that was a very
nice horse. He was out of Squaw Hancock by Tom Hancock if I
remember correctly. In fact, he wound up being our daughter's
horse when she was about 9 or 10 years old. He was a good one.

Latest posts