• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Inforce 3

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Texan

Reaction score
I did a search for Inforce 3 and see that some of you are using it at branding and/or at weaning. I was thinking about trying it on light, put-together salebarn calves and wondered if any of you had any experience with that?

I've been doing a Bovishield Gold 5, followed by another one in a few weeks, but was thinking about trying the intra-nasal to replace the first round. I like the idea of one less shot for little calves under a lot of stress and the faster response that the Inforce would give, but I guess the main thing that concerns me is not having any BVD protection until they get the second round with the Bovishield. Thoughts?

I used Inforce at branding and have had a lot of trouble with pneumonia since the end of July. I won't be using it again.

Texan said:
I did a search for Inforce 3 and see that some of you are using it at branding and/or at weaning. I was thinking about trying it on light, put-together salebarn calves and wondered if any of you had any experience with that?

I've been doing a Bovishield Gold 5, followed by another one in a few weeks, but was thinking about trying the intra-nasal to replace the first round. I like the idea of one less shot for little calves under a lot of stress and the faster response that the Inforce would give, but I guess the main thing that concerns me is not having any BVD protection until they get the second round with the Bovishield. Thoughts?

Never used it, but have been trying to study up on different vac programs and seems on pfizer's selectvac site they recommend using it in combo with the first Bovi-shield shot, then booster a few weeks later with the bovi-shield.

Required Practices
•7- or 8-way clostridial/blackleg vaccine** (ULTRABAC®, ULTRACHOICE®or ONE SHOT ULTRA®)
•IBR-BVD-PI3-BRSV viral vaccine
- Two administrations of viral vaccine
1. INFORCE™ 3 and Bovi-Shield GOLD® BVD or Bovi-Shield GOLD 5 or CattleMaster® GOLD
2. Followed by Bovi-Shield GOLD 5 or CattleMaser GOLD or Resvac® 4/Somubac®
•Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica bacterin/leukotoxoid (single administration of ONE SHOT® or
ONE SHOT ULTRA)
•Parasite control (single administration with DECTOMAX®†† or VALBAZEN®†††)
Other Recommended Practices•Implant (SYNOVEX® C, SYNOVEX S or SYNOVEX H)

We just used Ultra bac 7 with somnus at branding this year and today gave Vista once and boosted the 7wayHS. Wean also weaned today. We have one bunch that we will try and vaccinate then wean in about 10-14 days. We'll see how that works.
I was considering using the Inforce3 but didn't. I was thinking of using it next spring at branding but maybe that isn't such a good idea. :?

I used inforce 3, polybac and alfa 7 at branding. We had no sick calves on grass, and they are the healthiest bunch of calves at the lot. Pulled less than 10 percent of ours and said all the others have been over 30% pulls. I also buy light calves thru the barn but have not yet used inforce 3 on them. In the past I used nasalgen when they started getting sick and it always has cleared them up.

I used Inforce 3 at birth. This year was terribly dry and I had one group of calves that were on first calf heifers that ended up with pneumonia in about 10% of them due primarily to dust and poorer immunity from the young cows. I have kept them segregated and vaccinated them this fall with Vista Once SQ and Vision 7 w/ Spur and then boosted them with Titanium 5 and Pulmo-Guard and another round of Vision 7. When we boosted them we also gave them a shot of Multi-Min and a dose of Zuprevo. They have cleaned up real nice and I haven't lost one yet. Even the ones that were bad enough that I would typically have lost them in previous years are recovering and looking like they might amount to something. Of course after putting all of that in them I was walking kind of funny and had a hard time sitting down for about a week.

The rest of the calves have shown no sign of respiratory problems at all. I will use Inforce again next year. It is a pain to administer and they don't exactly give it away, but last year I had enough trouble with pneumonia at weaning time that it has made it worth the extra trouble and cost to give it.

There have been quite a few producers in my area that used the Inforce 3 at branding that have had trouble with summertime pnemonia(including Big Swede) and myself. Lost half a dozen calves in July, and at least 35-40% sick the day we worked them. Gave them all LA 200 along with booster shots the 20th of July. I know quite a few others that used Vista Once and have had no trouble. Most of the trouble came from a combo of Inforce 3 and OneShot Ultra7 at branding. I won't be using it next year either.

We used Inforce on 60 head of calves at branding and again at weaning along with the Pfizer suggested products listed by BlackCattleRancher. In an extremely hot, dry and dusty summer we didn't treat a single sick calf. Vets in my area are high on the Inforce product. Guess we'll be using it again since we had no problems with the vaccination regime.

river rat said:
There have been quite a few producers in my area that used the Inforce 3 at branding that have had trouble with summertime pnemonia(including Big Swede) and myself. Lost half a dozen calves in July, and at least 35-40% sick the day we worked them. Gave them all LA 200 along with booster shots the 20th of July. I know quite a few others that used Vista Once and have had no trouble. Most of the trouble came from a combo of Inforce 3 and OneShot Ultra7 at branding. I won't be using it next year either.
What did you use for a pasturela vaccine?

strawking said:
river rat said:
What did you use for a pasturela vaccine?
We used One-Shot Ultra 7 at branding and the straight One-Shot in July.

Gave inforce 3 at branding and also at weaning. Didnt treat any this summer besides a couple pinkeye. I think the trouble some have had with pnemonia needs to be addressed with a pasturella vaccine, such as Nuplora PH or Pulmo-Guard PHM. I use Express 5 PHM, but i have heard they are no longer make it, go figure something that works and they no longer make it. Besides inforce 3, i am not a fan of pfizer products, i have had some behind the scenes talks with a few drug reps that have mentioned that pfizer likes to sell vaccines but they love to sell antibiotics!

I used Express 5 PHM for years and had really good results. So what do you do when they discontinue a product? Try something else I guess. When my calves started getting sick I wasn't sure if I would blame the heat and dust or the vaccine. The more vets and producers I talk to I'm leaning toward the vaccine.

I can give you a great endorsement for Draxxin though. :evil: :roll:

Big swede, what did you switch to replace express 5 phm? this year i used express 5 then also gave nuplura ph. would rather have just one shot to give

Thanks for the replies. Even though some of you are reporting problems from using it at branding, I think I'll try some of it on the auction calves.

I really like the Pfizer products and they've always impressed me with their customer service. Since some of you have had problems, I think I'll send a link to this thread to one of their vets and see if he has any input/observations. If I hear anything back from him, I'll be sure to share it with you guys (as long as he doesn't mind me posting it).

Thanks again.

I just used inforce 3 nasal prior to weaning here in about ten days. Also gave a shot of bovi-shield gold. Guess i will have to see how it goes, but we have preconditioned my cousins calves that way for a few years now and it has worked well. The nasal gives them a quicker immune boost and the sub-q shot works long term. We wean and ship the calves over 60 miles of dirt roads and they usually do great.

Latest posts