• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Iraq oil production

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
Full article; link below; my emphasis.

"Iraqi oil production fell by 8 percent last year, with a sharp decline near year's end that left average daily production at half the 3 million barrels envisioned by U.S. officials at the outset of the war in 2003.
Prospects for improvement this year are slim, according to many experts, calling into question Iraq's ability to support itself and pay for reconstruction efforts as U.S. assistance is scaled back. Reasons for the shortfall include the poor state of the nation's oil fields, a creaky infrastructure, poor management and ongoing insurgent attacks, particularly to pipelines in the north-central region meant to export oil through Turkey.
"There is no instant turnaround," said Paul Horsnell, an energy analyst with Barclay Capital in London. "It could take five years, six years or seven years." As of last month, Iraq was pumping a million barrels a day less than just before Saddam Hussein was toppled from power in the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.
In helping sell the war, Bush administration officials had predicted that a strong Iraqi oil industry could help pay for the nation's postwar recovery. To prime the effort, Congress voted on a three-year, $20.9 billion reconstruction package, of which about $2 billion was dedicated to restoring Iraqi oil production.
Instead of steadily increasing production, the annual output fell in 2005 to 1.83 million barrels a day, including a sharp decline over the final quarter capped by a December dip to 1.57 million barrels daily.
The latest production figures from the International Energy Agency compare with the 2.5 million barrels per day the Iraqi industry was pumping just before the war, a level it nearly equaled in March and April of 2004. Officials said December's figures were influenced by bad weather and a scarcity of tugboats at Persian Gulf marine terminals, in addition to the continuing violence, and poor facilities and management.
Oil revenues contribute 94 percent of the fledgling government's budget. A drop in global oil prices from current high levels could wreak havoc if output remains depressed. The most serious and pressing problem is the lack of adequate security, said Gal Luft, executive director of the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security in Washington.
Insurgent attacks on pipelines -- more than 300 since the March 2003 invasion -- not only have cost the country billions of dollars in lost export sales but also diverted U.S. money and manpower to repair the damage that instead ."

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/nation/13706461.htm?source=rss&channel=duluthsuperior_nation

So what your saying :???: ..... America = BAD, saddam hussien = GOOD?
Coming from you dis I'm not a bit supprised. :evil: :mad: :evil: You can place the blame at the feet of who ever you please but most know better. :twisted:

If a dem ever wins the White House again I bet you'll change your name to agreeable. :shock: Agreeing with everything a lib says. Just another follower huh? :wink:

Oh well.

Mike said:
Some knucklehead wrote:
Saddam was cooperating with the inspectors

What planet are you on?

:clap: :lol: :clap:

Some people just don't get it.
stevec wrote "Actually, Dis didn't say anything", no truer words spoken there. :wink:

It's funny how you accuse me of blaming everything on democrats when they have been doing that exact same thing since the day President Bush took office. And I'm not one of those in lockstep with the Republican party, I don't have a problem disagreeing with the President, but not on this one. Like it or not this had to happened, and probably should have under clinton but I won't get into that, because like you said its not partisan, if 9/11 would have happened under a democrat I would support this war just the same. So there hows that for a mix of fear and pride? I can agree with Democrats, just not on many issues.

Latest posts