• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is the devil in the details?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
That worked probably because CO. has brand laws. What if those cows came out of MO. with a brand that someone used for their own ID and not registered or out of Texas where Haymaker says brands aren't registered even at county level or Montana where I don't think they have their brands on line. Where to start looking?
I have nothing against branding. We brand our own cattle. I got paid for one that showed up at the auction this fall with some other cattle. The NAIS is not just for determining ownership but in the case of disease outbreak to speedily contain it.

Again............we need the brand laws fine tuned mandated and enforced,thats one of the biggest problems folks dont like goverment mandates..........but sometimes they are necessary,if I can brand my Texas pickup and drive it to Montana without problems of identification,I can do the same thing to my cattle.
good luck

The best argument for NAIS that I have ever heard. :D Thanks Haymaker, :D

Your pickup and everyone you own has it's own ID number mandated by the government of TEXAS and it is in a online database so if your truck is stolen and found in Montana they would look at the plates or VIN number and Know who's truck it was. I think your catching on. It's took awhile but I knew you'd come around. :D

I have been sayin this all along...............leave the tags/chips/readers that fall off and or dont work and special interest data base run by the ncba crowd out of it,and we are on,just brand your stock and let a cattlemans assc.control the data as a backup to your paper work.
If you remember we had a majority in the affirmative when NAIS was introduced,then along came the ncba vultures and the fight.
Cattlemen are tired of being scammed by these packer puppets.
good luck

PS and let this post verify how fair minded I am :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
Again............we need the brand laws fine tuned mandated and enforced,thats one of the biggest problems folks dont like goverment mandates..........but sometimes they are necessary,if I can brand my Texas pickup and drive it to Montana without problems of identification,I can do the same thing to my cattle.
good luck

Your pickup and everyone you own has it's own ID number mandated by the government of TEXAS and it is in a online database so if your truck is stolen and found in Montana they would look at the plates or VIN number and Know who's truck it was. I think your catching on. It's took awhile but I knew you'd come around. :D

I have been sayin this all along...............leave the tags/chips/readers that fall off and or dont work and special interest data base run by the ncba crowd out of it,and we are on,just brand your stock and let a cattlemans assc.control the data as a backup to your paper work.
If you remember we had a majority in the affirmative when NAIS was introduced,then along came the ncba vultures and the fight.
good luck

Tags probably aren't the best ID but how can you individually ID every animal is the US with a brand? Montana and Texas probably have lots of duplicate brands. And show me one Cattlemans organization that is pushing for a nation wide brand registry?

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

good luck

Tags probably aren't the best ID but how can you individually ID every animal is the US with a brand? Montana and Texas probably have lots of duplicate brands. And show me one Cattlemans organization that is pushing for a nation wide brand registry?

I thought we just got past this point............the same way we individually ID vehicles,how many letter/number combinations are there ? now how many cattle producers are there ?
I guess its too simple ? I dont think the fight is with IDing stock,I think the fight was who is going to profit from the data base information/electrronic tags readers etc. it became obvious it damn sure wasnt gonna be the cattleman.
There are no cattleman groups pushing M ID why would they ?
good luck

So what are the chances of a ID system posted above ever getting off the ground ?
Where's the gain ? whats the cost ? Its obvious it puts more burden on the cattleman and stress on cattle .
What/who will maintain an expensive data base who pays for the computers/software enters data.
I think the answer is pretty clear,thats why we got what we got.
good luck

A brand like you are suggesting would be quite interesting Haymaker.

PRODUCTOFTEXAS1234567890987654321 Left side

If this was a calf brand, how many would survive the application? :D

gcreekrch said:
A brand like you are suggesting would be quite interesting Haymaker.

PRODUCTOFTEXAS1234567890987654321 Left side

If this was a calf brand, how many would survive the application? :D

It would'nt be that bad................do the math,for example there are about 30000 producers in Georgia,you could almost start at 1 and go in numerical order to 30000 and only use 5 spaces,now add letters.
Im guessin there are around 1300000 producers in the USA
as a yard stick there are 24000000 people livin in Texas not all of them own a vehicle but some own more than one,last time i checked Texas license plates were a combination of 6 spaces letters and numbers.
good luck

Poor Haymaker, still delusional in believing NCBA is controlled by anyone other than cattle producers.

There are over 30,000 NCBA members who strongly dispute that silly claim!

Where are other nation wide cattle producer organizations that come anywhere close to the numbers of adult, dues paying cattle producer members???

mrj

Latest posts