• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is this the beginnings of cancer eye?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
2011-01-23-037.jpg

Noticed this when we put out hay the other day. Never have dealt with this.....

I got a couple purebred Black cows with eyes like that so I guess it can't be cancer eye. For what it's worth I don't think it is but I'm not a vet.

It might be , I would get it looked asap Lilly. If caught early it can be taken care of with good success and relatively cheap.

PM the pic to Randiliana, she just had a cow with cancer eye treated.

I had a couple of commercial herfs with it back in 2003 but it was really far gone and we just had the vet out to BSE test them. If it has gone too far they will be condemned at the sale barn ,and even if it hasn't they are docked severely .

We have had LOTS of cancer eye when we ran Herefords and I don't
remember cancer eye starting that way, JL. I think she injured it some way.
When that happens the eye turns blue due to healing.

Cancer eye for us started as a small growth that shouldn't be there and it
was either in the corner of eye or in the back corner of the eye.
Sometimes we could
have it cauterized if we caught it when it was small enough. With this,
you could make a round eye patch out of a pair of jeans, put some good
glue around the edge of the patch and
cover the eye, or you can do nothing and it will most likely clear up
on it's own, it will just take a little longer.

Northern Rancher said:
Usually if you have a cancer eye show up your better to dispose of it at home.

:agree:

She has nice pigmentation though ,so maybe it isn't cancer.

We can at least get the vet out to dispose of them in Alberta and salvage a little bit of money by submitting them for BSE testing.

Spray WD40 in her eye and it should clear up in a couple days... If not, I'd call the vet.

Maybe you should try rubbing some Copenhagen in it. :tiphat:

No, no, no. I would not ever, and do not condone putting anything other than veterinarian-prescribed substances in a cow's eye. Not Copenhagen, not WD 40. This is strictly a joke that has historical ties to this forum. 100% joke. I love cows and I want them all to be happy and healthy.

:cowboy:

Hahaha I remember those jokes too...both the WD 40 ones and the Copenhagen ones. I'd like to get closer to either take a look at it...or take another picture so I can zoom in on it and have a look. But it does kinda in that picture when I zoom in ...look like it has a scratched area or ulcerated area on the actual eye.

If you're talking about her discoloured eye in general, that doesn't look like it.

If you talking about that granulated looking tissue in the corner of her eye, it's possible.

It's hard to tell from this distance.

ReRun said:
Spray WD40 in her eye and it should clear up in a couple days... If not, I'd call the vet.

Yep- everybody laughs-- but I know several outfits that do exactly that...

Big Muddy rancher said:
I will have to defer decision to the Hereford men as I run Black Angus. :?

As a Hereford guy :wink:, I say no, it doesn't look like cancer. Just a cloudy eye for whatever reason. Cancer would have an ulcer and be draining.

This cow might have had pinkeye or foreign matter in the eye at some time. It will probably stay that way but won't get worse.

I wondered if maybe she got stabbed in the eye with a piece of hay. They do go at it kinda wild like...shovin and pushin. Especially when those first bales get put out.

But I will try to get in a little close to see it a lil better in the next day or so.

We have a lot of Russian Olive trees and get the occasional blue eye due to injury. Usually they water for a few days and if they persist I hit them with an antibiotic. They have never resulted in cancer eye.

I am like John SD. I think it's cloudy from either foriegn material or the starting of pink eye. We used to see more than our share of cancer eyed cows in this country back in the 80's. This looks like a cloudy eye but not cancer. I'd still get a Vet's opinion. Good luck.

No, no, no. I would not ever, and do not condone putting anything other than veterinarian-prescribed substances in a cow's eye. Not Copenhagen, not WD 40. This is strictly a joke that has historical ties to this forum. 100% joke. I love cows and I want them all to be happy and healthy.

One of the Vet's in our country prescribes WD-40 for pinkeye. No fooling.

As for the answer to your question, no, not cancer eye. Don't worry about her for a month and check her then, she will either be fine or have pinkeye. Treat her for pinkeye and she will get over it in a month, don't treat her and it will take four weeks.

Doug Thorson said:

One of the Vet's in our country prescribes WD-40 for pinkeye. No fooling.

As for the answer to your question, no, not cancer eye. Don't worry about her for a month and check her then, she will either be fine or have pinkeye. Treat her for pinkeye and she will get over it in a month, don't treat her and it will take four weeks.

If it is pink eye and you don't treat her she will most likely end up blind in the eye or worse the ulcer will perforate and she will lose the whole eye.

The good news is that if the poor ol' dear doesn't get over it you can always replace her with a nice black cow. :p

Thank you very much, I'll be here all week.... :cowboy:

Latest posts