• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is this the end of brands?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

at long prairie pack, the heads go down one rail the carcus goes down another, number 10 head belongs to number 10 carcus, they do mostly cull cattle there, did you all know there are 9 eyes to the pound

Per may be able to correct me but I understand that the tag number is transferred to a hook number automatically once the animal is in carcass form. There is no way that a dirty ear is going to follow a carcass through a plant.

For tracability past the farm gate the tags do have value. For identification at home there is nothing to take the place of a brand.

gcreekrch said:
Per may be able to correct me but I understand that the tag number is transferred to a hook number automatically once the animal is in carcass form. There is no way that a dirty ear is going to follow a carcass through a plant.

For tracability past the farm gate the tags do have value. For identification at home there is nothing to take the place of a brand.

No correction necessary.

gcreech, you said it exactly right, and with so few words!

For our situation, however, it is quick to identify our six family brands by the different colored ear tags, THEN if it has the right brand, life is good!

Providing the critter is in good health and where it is supposed to be, that is.

mrj

Latest posts