• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Jake Clark's Mule Days

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The Johnson County Fair and Rodeo held in Buffalo, Wyoming each August has always been the ultimate fair and rodeo as far as I am concerned. They managed to pull this off without a carnival...

The rodeo is made up of county residents ONLY and has grown to at least five performances and slack. Wild Cow Milking is one of the events. There was alot of cheating going on (funny stuff, not malicious) so that the bottles were handed out in the arena prior to turning the cows out. Even so, everyone had to turn the pop bottles upside down so there was no pre-arranged milk in any bottles.

Another fun event was the Ribbon Roping. That is where the guy ropes the calf and the wife has to go out and get the ribbon off the calf's tail. She then has to run to the judge with the ribbon. This got real exciting as brothers would go out and rope their sister-in-law to keep her from getting to the judge...

Everyone has such a good time. There are the main rodeo events as well as Horse Racing. The fari/rodeo committee just managed to keep the FAMILIES involved even if they weren't top dog rodeo folks.

One old rancher from Kaycee came in to enter the rodeo. He was fairly old, maybe even 70 at the time. The girls taking entries asked him if he came to enter the Old Men's Breakaway Roping. He was insulted. "Heck no," he says. "I came to enter the CALF ROPING."

There's some pretty tough ole boys in that country!

Several years back a friend was telling me about his wife's adventures with a new pack mule. She was getting ready for a ladie's pack trip in Kananaskis and seen an ad for a broke mule. M. figured this would be ideal for the big trip so drove all night to north of Edmonton and promptly became a proud mule owner. As soon as she got unloaded at home she loaded up a light pack and climbed on her saddle horse to see how her new mule would handle being packed. Seems the mule took exception to the whole exercise and threw a fit getting her saddle pony startled and bucking also. Well M. made her vacation trip with a few bumps and bruises and NO packmule! Seems the light finally clicked on why this mule was named "ANUS"!

Latest posts