• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan and USDA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ranch hand

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
An inspection team from the ruling Liberal Democratic Party that had visited several U.S. packing plants late last week reported back that most U.S. processing companies were employing sufficient safeguards to be qualified to ship beef to Japan.

The finding was in sharp contrast to an earlier report from a team made up of members of the opposition Democratic Party of Japan, which blasted Tyson Foods' systems for removing specified risk materials. Tyson demanded an apology, but none has been forthcoming.

The LDP group visited Tyson's Emporia, Kan., plant Feb. 10, and visited several other plants over the weekend. According to The Japan Times, Toshikatsu Matsuoka, head of the mission, told a press conference in Tokyo that "most facilities are doing enough" but "the irresponsible system of the agricultural department has caused a great deal of trouble for diligent companies." Matsuoka said USDA should be held responsible for the shipment of veal to Japan that included banned spinal material
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
I heard Johanns take responsibility upon USDA and himself for that shipment.

Is anyone at all concerned that the Japanese customer ordered that specific product?

That is one time when the seller should NOT have given the customer what he wanted!

It seems logical to also blame the inspector at that plant, however the product is allowed in US beef trade, and the shipment was bound for California before going on to Japan, so suppose it is somewhat understandable that there were severe failures of compliance in this company, new to Japanese trade.

Hopefully, the Japanese customer will be thoroughly investigated, as well as all other entities involved in this deal.

MRJ
 

Econ101

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,060
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
MRJ said:
I heard Johanns take responsibility upon USDA and himself for that shipment.

Is anyone at all concerned that the Japanese customer ordered that specific product?

That is one time when the seller should NOT have given the customer what he wanted!

It seems logical to also blame the inspector at that plant, however the product is allowed in US beef trade, and the shipment was bound for California before going on to Japan, so suppose it is somewhat understandable that there were severe failures of compliance in this company, new to Japanese trade.

Hopefully, the Japanese customer will be thoroughly investigated, as well as all other entities involved in this deal.

MRJ

The Japanese deal with that embarrasment in a different way.

I haven't seen Johannes change anything of substance in GIPSA yet, have you? I don't mean musical chairs either.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
ranch hand said:
An inspection team from the ruling Liberal Democratic Party that had visited several U.S. packing plants late last week reported back that most U.S. processing companies were employing sufficient safeguards to be qualified to ship beef to Japan.

The finding was in sharp contrast to an earlier report from a team made up of members of the opposition Democratic Party of Japan, which blasted Tyson Foods' systems for removing specified risk materials. Tyson demanded an apology, but none has been forthcoming.

The LDP group visited Tyson's Emporia, Kan., plant Feb. 10, and visited several other plants over the weekend. According to The Japan Times, Toshikatsu Matsuoka, head of the mission, told a press conference in Tokyo that "most facilities are doing enough" but ]"the irresponsible system of the agricultural department has caused a great deal of trouble for diligent companies." Matsuoka said USDA should be held responsible for the shipment of veal to Japan that included banned spinal material

Gee Econ no comment about this :wink: :lol:
 

Econ101

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,060
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
Tam said:
ranch hand said:
An inspection team from the ruling Liberal Democratic Party that had visited several U.S. packing plants late last week reported back that most U.S. processing companies were employing sufficient safeguards to be qualified to ship beef to Japan.

The finding was in sharp contrast to an earlier report from a team made up of members of the opposition Democratic Party of Japan, which blasted Tyson Foods' systems for removing specified risk materials. Tyson demanded an apology, but none has been forthcoming.

The LDP group visited Tyson's Emporia, Kan., plant Feb. 10, and visited several other plants over the weekend. According to The Japan Times, Toshikatsu Matsuoka, head of the mission, told a press conference in Tokyo that "most facilities are doing enough" but ]"the irresponsible system of the agricultural department has caused a great deal of trouble for diligent companies." Matsuoka said USDA should be held responsible for the shipment of veal to Japan that included banned spinal material

Gee Econ no comment about this :wink: :lol:

Tam, in case you haven't noticed, one thing about politics is that an oposition party is needed to keep things honest. We don't happen to have a very good opposition party in the U.S. at the moment and look at all the problems coming out. Heck, we can't even get congressional hearings on some of the issues that have been surfacing recently. Federal workers do not have to testify in private actions so only congressional action will work. I am glad to see a little more on the Japanese political system and that they have an opposition party that obviously causes a little more accountability than what we are getting right now.

I hope we get our act together and take back some of the market share the australians have taken from north america. It is not going to happen with force. What is that mrj said about flies and venigar? Force is a last resort and should never be used first because we can't do a good job selling.

Thanks for asking.
 

Latest posts

Top