• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japanese Make Gasoline From Cattle Manure

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

March 3, 2006, 6:58AM
Japanese Make Gasoline From Cattle Dung

By KOZO MIZOGUCHI Associated Press Writer
© 2006 The Associated Press

TOKYO — Scientists in energy-poor Japan said Friday they have found a new source of gasoline _ cattle dung.

Sakae Shibusawa, an agriculture engineering professor at the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, said his team has successfully extracted 1.4 milliliters (0.042 ounces) of gasoline from every 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of cow dung by applying high pressure and heat.

"The new technology will be a boon for livestock breeders" to reduce the burden of disposing of large amounts of waste, Shibusawa said.

About 500,000 metric tons (551,155 U.S. tons) of cattle dung are produced each year in Japan, he said.

Gasoline extracted from cow dung is unheard of, said Tomiaki Tamura, an official of the Natural Resources and Energy Agency. Japan relies almost totally on imports for its oil and gasoline needs.

The team, helped by staff from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology near Tokyo, produced gasoline by adding several unspecified metal catalysts to the dung inside a container and applying a 30-atmosphere pressure and heat of up to 300 degrees Celsius (572 Fahrenheit), Shibusawa said. Details of the catalysts could not be disclosed, he added.

The team hopes to improve the technology so that it can be used commercially within five years, Shibusawa said.

In a separate experiment revealing another unusual business potential for cow dung, another group of researchers has successfully extracted an aromatic ingredient of vanilla from cattle dung, said Miki Tsuruta, a Sekisui Chemical Co. spokeswoman. The extracted ingredient, vanillin, can be used as fragrance in shampoo and candles, she said.( Eau de Dung :???: :lol: )

Tsuruta said the vanillin was extracted from a dung solution in a pressurized cooker in a project co-organized by a Japanese medical research institute.

OT.......Have you got your order in for the vanilla yet?Now that would be a real conversation topic around the supper table! Would sure save on dessert! :lol: :lol:

We used to be meticulous about cleaning out our lots. Not any more. We are building mountains there instead of hauling the dirt and waste away. The calves love it. It is warm, blocks the wind, they can get on top of it or on either side of it and lay down. They are always somewhere around those huge mounds.

I know, everyone says the place calves are has to be clean. But we have done this for years and it really works. Haven't seen any sign of sickness from it either. We do keep the ground around them as clean as possible.
This is one of the most effective and cheap windbreaks we have ever found.

Hmmm, and my favorite candles are vanilla......Hey I'm all for it, makin gasoline from cow poop......and the vanilla fragrance would just be an added bonus....where do I sign up?

I've been under the impression for some time that that which spews forth from OT's mouth just has to have some redeeming value. And now we know. 8) :lol:

Latest posts