• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JD 4430 problem....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I just suggest plugging it in well before you need to use it, using ether, and possibly using a sunflower heater under the oil pan to make sure the oil is good and warm. The only tractors we have that start hard are a 6060 Allis (needs ether in anything colder than 60 degrees) and a 4440 with 11,000 hours on the original starter (we don't want to work that starter too hard).

Just buy a Belarus -20 you would'nt even need to plug it in heat the glow plugs and start it up.I have'nt plugged in my Red Russian yet this season.Now my John Deere skid loader is a different story..gosh I hate that machine it's at John deere racking up a bill right now.

McGee213288 said:
Richard Doolittle said:
McGee213288 said:
Sooooooooooo... does dyed diesel gel up?? :eek:

Yes. You can get #1 or #2 dyed diesel the same as road fuel. You certainly shouldn't be cold enough to worry about gelled fuel.

Weather Man is talking single digits... :shock:

Well if it's hard to start at 50, then you won't have a thing to worry about :wink:

If it's going to be that chilly and you're going to be using it, either put some conditioner in it or blend some #1 in.

Some of the old ways just work. I used to have loaders that had "pony" engines - - - a 2 to 4 cylinder gas engine you would start and the exhaust would heat the intake manifold on the diesel - - - after leaving them running at a fast idle for about 5 minutes you would pull a hand clutch, engage a starter gear and slowly release the hand clutch. This would start the diesel turning over at about 1,000 RPM with the warm intake air and they would start right up ( about a 10 minute procedure )

Then they went to Glow Plugs and electric starters and cut the starting time to about 2 minutes.

Now most of the commercial diesels have progressed to the point they start right up if you have good non gelled fuel and good maintance.

I had to start two loaders yesturday that I had not planned to, I did not plug them in as it was a spur of the moment thing and about +9F and both started right up - - - I would have pluged them in if I had known I was going to use them. I left them both running at a fast idle for about 30 minutes after the two minute job I had before shutting them off. They are where I can put trickle chargers on them as they might not get started more than 3 or 4 times all winter.

But no matter how you accomplish it they need to spin over not slowly crank to get going!

Been reading the comments on starting your tractor. Just a couple of
quick thoughts. On a 4430, if it is a powershift transmission, there
should be a leven on the left side of transmission between cab door
and oil filters, if you move one was it will disengage the trans so just
the motor is turning. You have to shut the engine back off to reengage.
Another thing to check is if it has lots of hours on it, check the timing
on the injection pump. 1/2 to 1 degree will make lots of difference
in this kind of weather. My 4255 wouldn't start today but checked the
batterys and they were put in in Oct. 02. I''ll start there.

Well...I have not had time to tear her down...BUT!!..I did park her on the side of the house outa the north wind...and pluged her in...I could hear her a gurglin'..came back to her that afternoon and the engine was warm to the touch..altho the thep. had failed to reach 32*F...with a jump from my truck,,and a bit of ether she fired right up... :)

Talked to the JD House yesterday..and they will have to order all three of the battery cables...waiting on those

As for the transmission ...that took me forever to figure out..some called it a maze...one side selects the gear..lowest, low, little faster, fast, and OMG!! slow down...each one of these gears has another side of low, high and reverse.. :roll: ..Shuting off the engine to reengage anything could be a problem...last time I killed it...oops.. :oops: ...I had to jump it.. :?

Latest posts