• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JD 6310 Issues

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben H

Reaction score
I have a JD 6310 with power quad transmission., After starting the tractor and idling, the cross or flange on the UJ Driveshaft broke taking out the transmission filter housing. After disassembly, the front of the driveshaft was unbolted and what I believe is part of the flywheel was sheared off. It was a clean break, no signs of former damage. It's the the part the bearing housing slides on over. I'm writing this while looking at the parts diagrams. I don't believe it's the crank shaft that broke, I think this is part of the flywheel, I can't tell from the diagram. I believe my tractor was built with the updated UJ driveshaft, not sure about the flywheel. The parts diagram shows a sub for both. Without the driveshaft attached, I started the tractor tonight and it ran fine, sounds like the engine is ok. What would make this happen? Are there any common problems relating to this with this model?

Ben,
Here a couple other sites where some of the best tractor guys in the country hanging out. New Agtalk machinery forum. and ytmag.com yesterdays tractors.

many thanks.

http://www.todaystractors.com/ttforum/messages/6551.html

Well my so called excellent Junk Deere 6310 is broke again!Yesterday it took out the driveshaft and wiring between the engine and tranny.My mechanic says this is quite common on these tractors.He also said JD could have solved this problem very cheaply with a driveshaft loop.So the Deutz or something else is looking real good today.Any ideas on what else to look at?I just hope my 7010 series holds together awhile longer.And yes my tractors are all well maintained.The dealer comes out every spring and checks them over.I've never had this much trouble from any tractor let alone a JD.

Quite common? My Dealer didn't know anything about it, I'm going to talk to another one who deals with more of the larger farms/tractors.

Ben H said:
many thanks.

http://www.todaystractors.com/ttforum/messages/6551.html

Well my so called excellent Junk Deere 6310 is broke again!Yesterday it took out the driveshaft and wiring between the engine and tranny.My mechanic says this is quite common on these tractors.He also said JD could have solved this problem very cheaply with a driveshaft loop.So the Deutz or something else is looking real good today.Any ideas on what else to look at?I just hope my 7010 series holds together awhile longer.And yes my tractors are all well maintained.The dealer comes out every spring and checks them over.I've never had this much trouble from any tractor let alone a JD.

Quite common? My Dealer didn't know anything about it, I'm going to talk to another one who deals with more of the larger farms/tractors.

Your dealer is full of BS. We have a 6410 that is a piece of junk. What happened to your tractor happened to ours three years ago. A neighbor also has a 6410 and has had the same problem twice. I like operating it but it seems to have been made from used chewing gum wrappers. The JD mechanic told me they see a lot of problems with the 10 series tractors.
They usually break on the engine side U joint, take out a bunch of wiring and crack the bearing housing on the transmission.

Do you have a loader on it? Sometimes a loader puts to much stress on some tractors and causes them to wear out bearings or break shafts.

Yes, there is a loader on it. Funny thing is that it happened while it wasn't moving, had just started it to warm up. I can't believe something like this is a common problem. I'm aware my dealer is full of BS, that's why I want to check with the other one. The shaft broke on the tranny side, then the flywheel stud (I assume it's part of the flywheel) broke. I'm wondering if that broke because the drive shaft was catching after breaking. The big concern I and my mechanic (private) is what caused it to happen. If something is busted in the transmission, I don't want to get it back together only to have it happen again.

Mine broke when it was shifted to a higher gear at low speed and low RPM.
I wonder if the shaft is too light for the torque from the engine.

Ben do you deal with hammond or hall's? I believe they are the 2 john deere ag dealers for the mid to southern part of the state. Not sure about the one in sandford area. You might want to ask the hammond's mechanic's in fairfield about the challenge. Rumor has it that Hall's have an excellent mechanic for the later model JD's.

Halls is who I deal with, was going to check with Hammond since they likely deal with more of these larger tractors. Sanford area I think is just small stuff. Hammonds has the auburn place now, if they don't have the answer I would think they could find out from the other one. I think I may know who you mean at Halls.

Well if it's like my John Deere Skidloader the dealer does'nt give a care. Once you buy a John Deere your stuck with it. I've never been so discusted in any piece of equipment as my John Deere they are like snake oil salesmen sell it to you and forget about you until you need something new.Mine had a ton of hydraulic hose problems the lights dont work the heater does'nt work and now the fuse panel is melted and it is dead electrically the safety brake kicks on all the time when your useing it and it locks up It caught on fire once and like an idiot I put it out should have let it burn. My biggest gripw is the dealer though he got my money and that was the end of it for him.

Pretty bad when my Belarus tractor's are more dependable. I tried calling someone higher up in the company and they did'nt even call back.

We are blesed with two great dealerships in the area. One has 5 locations and the other has 7 - - - I feel the competition for business is what has caused them to be so good - - - -30 years ago we had about 10 different dealerships and several were terrible.

The bad ones went out of business and the better ones expanded.

I have not had that series of JD but a neighbor did and they had the tractor fixed and traded it - - - - the dealer sent it to a local auction and it happened to come back to the area - - - -the new owner said it only lasted about 20 hours and came apart again this time breaking much more - - - -I think it went to a bone yard then.

Ben I would use the fairfield office. When ernie retired auburn lost is good mechanic on that model range of tractor. Auburn still has a good mechanic for the 55 series and before or did the last time I was in.

I got fed up with john deere about 12 years ago,called New Holland and had them pick up all the john deere equipment I had and replaced it with New Holland,it aint the best but it is a helluva lot better than john deere.
well really not all of it,I kept my 4020 and 2 model A's
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
I got fed up with john deere about 12 years ago,called New Holland and had them pick up all the john deere equipment I had and replaced it with New Holland,it aint the best but it is a helluva lot better than john deere.
good luck

You did like my one neighbor - don't tick him off - but the dealer did and he called up a dealer of another brand and told him to bring out a whole line of new stuff, even the lawn tractor!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must be nice to be able to write the check there Hay Maker . . . what, there's lotsa money in raising goats?

burnt said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

You did like my one neighbor - don't tick him off - but the dealer did and he called up a dealer of another brand and told him to bring out a whole line of new stuff, even the lawn tractor!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must be nice to be able to write the check there Hay Maker . . . what, there's lotsa money in raising goats?

Burnt didn't you know Haymaker is cashing in on feeding the growing Muslim population in Texas. :wink:

burnt said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

Well luckily my lawn mower was'nt john deere :D :D I sure was mad at that green stuff but,not mad enough to get rid of my model A's :D
there aint no money in goats,only folks like big dummie will keep em around,reckon he shears em and gets him some woolies made outa them,I gotta remember to stay upwind of him if he and that lil mean wife of his ever comes callin.
good luck

PS check was'nt that bad,got a fair price for the green paint and paid the differnce.

Big Muddy rancher said:
burnt said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

Burnt didn't you know Haymaker is cashing in on feeding the growing Muslim population in Texas. :wink:

I hope I dont get attacked for sayin this but............muslim get pretty skinny waitin on goat meat from me :wink:
good luck

I think the 55 series JD tractors are the best models they ever made. Every time they start messing with the design they take a step backwards. I'd rather have four 55 series tractors than one new one for the same money. Don't have to stop and unhook anything either. :wink:

I just get madder and madder when I hear how many people this has happened to. The tractor is at the closer dealership, cab is off and everything, their best mechanic is working on it but can't seem to figure out what caused it to happen. Hopefully it will be back together by next weekend. When this happens to so many people, I would think they should have a recall or there should be a class action law suit. The main reason we have a JD is the fact the dealer is only 10-15 minutes away. How are newer series for an equivalent tractor? What problems are they know to have? This size of tractor is made in Germany, but did JD USA engineer it? All this electric crap is getting old, this summer we spent like $900 because some stupid motor went on the three point hitch.

Also, I have another question. I have a 640 loader, the left and right side bucket hydraulics don't move at the same rate. The connecting rod is a little worn and I've had to replace the pins a few times. It makes it a pain in the arse to try to switch between attachments. Then, when taking the loader off for this problem, I noticed the loader arms didn't move at the same rate, the left one was angled back further after I de-tatched it. What would make Left/Right move at different rates and how can I fix it?

http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/...pport/6030_7030/6030_7030_serviceability.html

6030_7030_serviceability_tilt_cab.jpg

The tilting cab design allows for easy access to the rear differential and transmission, greatly reducing the amount of time and money spent on repairs in this area.

Does this mean they couldn't figure out how to keep it from breaking and needed to make it easier to repair?

Latest posts