• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JD 6601's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying some equipment . There are two 6601 combines , pull type of course. Is anyone using them? What value would they have ? 3 or 4 thousand for the pair? They look like pretty decent rigs. Both need a little work but the metal , belts etc are good. They both have JD 4belt pickups on them.

They are a pretty reliable old combine for sure-the ranchers loved baling barley straw because if you pushed them hard they were real duck feeders lol.

We still use a 6601 when we combine feed grains; reliable and cheap to run....get parts from a wrecker mainly............too small and slow for most guys though........they'll sell anywhere from 800 to 2500 (Can.) at auction.

Parts are fairly reasonable for those JD combines,about 1/2 the cost of my Gleaner ( Silver Seeder ) :lol: Good luck!

Thanks folks. Sounds like the way to value them is the scrap iron market. There is a swather in the deal I want. It's a hesston 1200 21ft. I'd like to have it but it's a package deal. I'll bid on the package like I'm buying the swather. Can't get too hurt if I don't get in a wreck pulling them home. I could use the pick up heads and the hydrolic motors. Not much else I could part out. I run Gleaners. Just looking at the straw walkers in those 6601's I wouldn't swap. I bet it's a hot nasty job if you plug one of those straw walker augers...who thought of that invention?

If you wanted to come to MT I could sell you a 6600 with an 18 ft header and an industrial JD 349? its a straight six anyway. I cut seven hundred acres before I parked it. It started right up last summer and is priced reasonable.

Whats a combine??????

Just kidding but I don't have one and I don't want one.

We ran two 6601s here for 5 years. Hated every last second of running those pieces of junk. We'd replaced two 96s, thinking we'd get some extra acres out of them. We managed an extra 10 acres per day with the pair of 6601s versus the 96s. It depends on how much straw you have of course, but you'd never get a 21 foot swathe through one. We had trouble with 18 feet.

Do yourself a favor and find a 751 or 851 Massey pulltype. Prices are lower than the 6601s, and they are a FAR better combine. We can eat a 24 foot, 70 bushel/acre oat crop at 5.5 mph. You wouldn't even get a 6601 to move on a swath like that.

Oh my god. I sounded like a dirt farmer there for a second :lol: :lol:

Rod

Red Robin, I'm dissapointed in you. I thought you only ran the equipmet that didn't have paint on it. Now you've jumped right to the most expensive paint there is??????????????????

Red Robin said:
Thanks folks. Sounds like the way to value them is the scrap iron market. There is a swather in the deal I want. It's a hesston 1200 21ft. I'd like to have it but it's a package deal. I'll bid on the package like I'm buying the swather. Can't get too hurt if I don't get in a wreck pulling them home. I could use the pick up heads and the hydrolic motors. Not much else I could part out. I run Gleaners. Just looking at the straw walkers in those 6601's I wouldn't swap. I bet it's a hot nasty job if you plug one of those straw walker augers...who thought of that invention?
Had a 7700 JD before the L2 those little augers where trouble free except when the shear pin falls out of the little bull gear. Watch out that the pig trough under the augers isn't wore out. Can be a bit of a job taking it out. Bout as much fun as fixing Bush Fence :wink:

I got the stuff bought. I'm going after the swather tonight and I've got interest in the combines already. Nothing would suit me better than to get of the combines Cert... We'll see how it goes. Hey, I even got him to through in a cement mixer.

Wooohoooo. Anyone know where I can get more 6601's ?(kidding) I got those 2 sold where they sat. :wink: 2500.00 for the pair. They were pretty good rigs though and combines down in this part of the world are scarce as hens teeth. Freight from combine country is usually higher than the combines these days. The fella that bought them was glad to get them and I had 2 more fellas wanting to go see them if the 1st man didn't take them.

DiamondSCattleCo said:
We ran two 6601s here for 5 years. Hated every last second of running those pieces of junk. We'd replaced two 96s, thinking we'd get some extra acres out of them. We managed an extra 10 acres per day with the pair of 6601s versus the 96s. It depends on how much straw you have of course, but you'd never get a 21 foot swathe through one. We had trouble with 18 feet.

Do yourself a favor and find a 751 or 851 Massey pulltype. Prices are lower than the 6601s, and they are a FAR better combine. We can eat a 24 foot, 70 bushel/acre oat crop at 5.5 mph. You wouldn't even get a 6601 to move on a swath like that.

Oh my god. I sounded like a dirt farmer there for a second :lol: :lol:

Rod

At the risk of insulting you Rod, I'd say that for a rancher, you sound pretty knowlegable about combines and such like. :wink:

cowzilla said:
Had a 7700 JD before the L2 those little augers where trouble free except when the shear pin falls out of the little bull gear. Watch out that the pig trough under the augers isn't wore out. Can be a bit of a job taking it out. Bout as much fun as fixing Bush Fence :wink:

So you are saying that I have an enviable job to look forward to before harvest on my 7720 TII? The pan under the augers is worn through.

How many hours do you figure for the r and r?

Maple Leaf Angus; Don't recall total hours for job but do remember taking back off of combine to remove augers and cutting the bearings off end of shaft ( behind Bull Gears). Pan itself is not to bad to take out after augers are out of way. Remember not to mix up the augers when taking out and putting back in, 3 are right hand flighting and 3 are left hand flighting. John Deere made good combines but those 7700-7720 's where not the easiest machines to work on :roll: Good Luck :!:

Hey fellas, I have a question. I windrow my fescue seed and windrow some for a few neighbors. I'd like to have a trailer to go behind my grain truck to pull my combine and p/u header so noone has to move me. What's the best way? Can I use something like a swather trailer ?

Latest posts