• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Jinx er...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hereford76

Reaction score
Even tho you know which cows will have calves over the night and you could make tags for them before you go to bed and have them ready for the morning loop - I somehow think it will jinx them or if I take it for granted that she will have a live calf and taken care of it will play into it. Anyone else battle head games with yourself like that?

I been religiously checking my last 2nd calf heifer for a solid week every night and at 2am. I cant quit now cause she'll calve for sure if I don't check her! :D :D :D I feel your pain. :wink:

Hereford76 said:
Even tho you know which cows will have calves over the night and you could make tags for them before you go to bed and have them ready for the morning loop - I somehow think it will jinx them or if I take it for granted that she will have a live calf and taken care of it will play into it. Anyone else battle head games with yourself like that?

Yeah, me too....NEVER make a tag for an unborn calf.

Soapweed said:
How about selling calves before they are even born? That would scare me to death, as it goes right along with "don't count your chickens before they are hatched."

Nephew said they were offered 1.88 @ 675 the other day---neighbor sold for 1.70 back in January----they're calving now. so guess the 'afore they were borned' wasn't the right move this yr----but, nope----I can't make a tag ahead of time---even if I'm waiting and see feet......

littlejoe said:
Soapweed said:
How about selling calves before they are even born? That would scare me to death, as it goes right along with "don't count your chickens before they are hatched."

Nephew said they were offered 1.88 @ 675 the other day---neighbor sold for 1.70 back in January----they're calving now. so guess the 'afore they were borned' wasn't the right move this yr----but, nope----I can't make a tag ahead of time---even if I'm waiting and see feet......

We took a picture one time of Peach putting in an ear tag while I was pulling the calf. The barn was dark enough that the picture didn't pan out too great.

Soapweed said:
littlejoe said:
Soapweed said:

We took a picture one time of Peach putting in an ear tag while I was pulling the calf. The barn was dark enough that the picture didn't pan out too great.

Gives meaning to the saying "ain't enough time in the day".

We started calving on March 9, and on that day I put a cow in a "gonna calve maybe tonight" pen. She calved about an hour ago :? I just knew if I turned her out I'd be saddling a horse a 2 am to bring her in out of the cold. Seeing as we were over half done calving yesterday and she calved today, it's quite obvious I don't know quite as much as I sometimes think I do! Although in my defence, I pulled the calf and it appears to me it should have been born at least two weeks ago as it is about half grown already :!:

Silver said:
We started calving on March 9, and on that day I put a cow in a "gonna calve maybe tonight" pen. She calved about an hour ago :? I just knew if I turned her out I'd be saddling a horse a 2 am to bring her in out of the cold. Seeing as we were over half done calving yesterday and she calved today, it's quite obvious I don't know quite as much as I sometimes think I do! Although in my defence, I pulled the calf and it appears to me it should have been born at least two weeks ago as it is about half grown already :!:

You are an honest man to admit this in front of all of us. Anyone that hasn't "missed" while sorting heavies has never done very much of it. :wink:

Silver said:

i think i was in my mid twenties when i told myself i think i've seen everything a guy can see in regards to a bovine. ya right. a guy never knows whats going to happen when you walk out the door. good or bad i personally wouldn't want it any other way.

Soapweed said:
Silver said:

You are an honest man to admit this in front of all of us. Anyone that hasn't "missed" while sorting heavies has never done very much of it. :wink:

And that is for sure!

Soapweed said:
Silver said:

Aw heck, I have more fun laughing at myself than I do at other people. Dad always said "If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?"

Silver said:
Soapweed said:
Silver said:

Aw heck, I have more fun laughing at myself than I do at other people. Dad always said "If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?"

H

Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:
Soapweed said:

H

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I'm not too worried about jinxing them, but I sure don't want to waste a $.80 tag if something goes wrong.

gcreekrch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:

H

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I only exist to keep you fine folks grinning! :D :D I have enjoyed this thread because it sure seems like that the cow you know will calve first seldom does. Atleast life never gets boring! :lol:

gcreekrch said:
Never make a tag until they've stood up.

That's generally my policy too. However, I had one this year that was born in the morning, up and nursing. I went out after lunch to tag and turn it out, and it was standing up, breathing hard. The next thing I knew he collapsed, did the death bawl and croaked :shock:.

Latest posts