• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

John Deere Expands

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
John Deere has been buying all of the private landscaping nurseries and home/business irrigation supply houses in this area for a few years. They are definitely expanding into different markets.

Deere uses its brand

John Deere entered the landscape distribution game in 2001 when the well-branded company acquired McGinnis Farms, which included Jenco Nursery and Pipe 'N Heads. Its newest venture is called John Deere Landscapes. Next the company acquired Richton International, a publicly traded company that owned Century Rain Aid.

"Century Rain Aid had sales in excess of $200 million," said Michael McGrady, senior vice president of John Deere Landscapes. "We closed on Century Rain Aid last October and combined it and Richton into John Deere Landscapes. Now we're the largest national wholesale distributor of green-industry products."

There are 240 John Deere Landscapes outlets in 39 states and Canada. The stores are set up to expedite jobs for landscape contractors.

"The mechanics of doing a landscape job is a zero-value-added function," McGrady said. "To get the job done, a contractor has to spend a lot of time just acquiring material. But we provide full turnkey kitting -- we assemble all the components for the job and put them in our rewholesale branch."

John Deere Landscapes is expanding into the Midwest, although they already have a presence in the area.

"Our direct sales staff is already up there making sales, we just don't have any physical stores there yet," he said. The benefit of buying from a rewholesaler is primarily convenience, he said.

"Growers tend to specialize, but we buy in substantial volume and can offer a wider variety of products," he said. "It all comes down to a decrease in the contractor's time and expenses."

John Deere Landscape uses a vast number of nursery suppliers and tends to buy locally. The company also does multiyear contracts with some growers, he said.

"We have semi-autonomous branches and each branch is empowered to maintain its nursery product mixes to meet its needs," he said.

The company is contemplating offering benefits to landscape contractors, such as healthcare, he said.

How come no one is concerned about conglomeration and market manipulation in farm machinery, feed sales, fertilizer etc.? :???: Every month somebody else is buying out somebody else. Should we not be concerned about prices we have to pay for inputs as well as being concerned about prices from our outputs? Forty years ago a rancher could make a decent living with 200 cows and 450 pound calves. Now it takes 350 cows and 600 pound calves cause pickups cost about 10 times more, tractors are outragious as is everything else, and nobody says a word, they just buy it and whine cause calves should be worth more. Profit = Income - Expenses. Shouldn't we have R-Tractor fighting for us on this? :???: :???: Or blame it on NCBA (National Corporate Bankers Assoc.) for the low interest loans on machinery or the Multinational corporations building the machines?

sw said:
How come no one is concerned about conglomeration and market manipulation in farm machinery, feed sales, fertilizer etc.? :???: Every month somebody else is buying out somebody else. Should we not be concerned about prices we have to pay for inputs as well as being concerned about prices from our outputs? Forty years ago a rancher could make a decent living with 200 cows and 450 pound calves. Now it takes 350 cows and 600 pound calves cause pickups cost about 10 times more, tractors are outragious as is everything else, and nobody says a word, they just buy it and whine cause calves should be worth more. Profit = Income - Expenses. Shouldn't we have R-Tractor fighting for us on this? :???: :???: Or blame it on NCBA (National Corporate Bankers Assoc.) for the low interest loans on machinery or the Multinational corporations building the machines?

You are getting into the question of parity and the cheap food policy again. Just think about it. The one good thing about John deeres is that they last if you take care of them. Sometimes quality costs more but is well worth the price compared to the competition. I really like my JD.

Sometimes it is not about "blaming" others, it is about realizing what is happening.

Econ101 said:
sw said:

You are getting into the question of parity and the cheap food policy again. Just think about it. The one good thing about John deeres is that they last if you take care of them. Sometimes quality costs more but is well worth the price compared to the competition. I really like my JD.

Sometimes it is not about "blaming" others, it is about realizing what is happening.
What size is your riding mower Econ? :wink: :lol:

I owned a JD skid steer that was built after New Holland quit building them for Deere. It was the worst piece of crap ever built. In 400 hours it lost its oil twice and was in the shop more than it was working.

Deere is just another brand. They have to compete to survive. I wouldn't buy another JD skid steer no matter what the price. Others would buy Deere just because they think it's a prestige item.

Bill said:
Econ101 said:
sw said:

Why? My tractor is not a riding mower. I do have a bush hog that goes on it though.

Jason said:
I owned a JD skid steer that was built after New Holland quit building them for Deere. It was the worst piece of crap ever built. In 400 hours it lost its oil twice and was in the shop more than it was working.

Deere is just another brand. They have to compete to survive. I wouldn't buy another JD skid steer no matter what the price. Others would buy Deere just because they think it's a prestige item.

Jason, don't know much about the jd skid loaders. Seems like you have had a bad experience with purchasing one.

Just think about what your experience has taught you and how that relates to buying some meat. Green paint doesn't necessarily mean what is under it is quality. Same with painting meat with CO2.

Econ101 said:
Jason said:

Jason, don't know much about the jd skid loaders. Seems like you have had a bad experience with purchasing one.

Just think about what your experience has taught you and how that relates to buying some meat that has the same effect.

Good morning Econ. Just thought I'd see what's up before I get my youngest up as today is the annual Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. Bring back any fond memories?

Skid steer loaders vs meat.........care to expand on your thought?

Econ101 said:
Bill said:
Econ101 said:

Why? My tractor is not a riding mower. I do have a bush hog that goes on it though.
Must be at least 35hp then?

Beefman said:
Econ101 said:
Jason said:

Just think about what your experience has taught you and how that relates to buying some meat that has the same effect.

Good morning Econ. Just thought I'd see what's up before I get my youngest up as today is the annual Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. Bring back any fond memories?

Skid steer loaders vs meat.........care to expand on your thought?

You can "paint" em both, but what matters most is the customer's experience. That is what will sell or will not sell more beef----or green painted items. The beef industry has to make sure that the co2 treatment does not mask bad meat. My wife has seasonal allergies and most of the time she has a good and sensitive nose. When she has allergies or a real bad cold, her sense of smell isn't very good. If the color indicator of freshness is being manipulated, you can't always depend on someone's nose to catch it. It could lead to a bad experience that could lead to less beef bought in the future.

Good luck on the pinewood derby.

BMR this is what you get when a industry is in decline for the reason of everybody getting out of farming and a few getting bigger.Your Comment;I just read a article in the Western Producer where the lack of sales of farm machinery world wide was cause for concern to Deere. *********Thats what happened in the hog equipment industry as their was a loss of sales and not manny farmers were needed anymore to produce the same product.

PORKER said:
BMR this is what you get when a industry is in decline for the reason of everybody getting out of farming and a few getting bigger.Your Comment;I just read a article in the Western Producer where the lack of sales of farm machinery world wide was cause for concern to Deere. *********Thats what happened in the hog equipment industry as their was a loss of sales and not manny farmers were needed anymore to produce the same product.
In Sask. there is more land being seeded back to grass becasue of low world grain prices. If the US keeps subsidizing grain it is going to fuel the increase in cattle in Canada.

Big Muddy rancher said:
PORKER said:
In Sask. there is more land being seeded back to grass becasue of low world grain prices. If the US keeps subsidizing grain it is going to fuel the increase in cattle in Canada.

The WTO has given the U.S. a mandate to end grain subsidies by 2009. Peanuts last year and more to come..........soon.

Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
PORKER said:

The WTO has given the U.S. a mandate to end grain subsidies by 2009. Peanuts last year and more to come..........soon.

Maybe you should try growing peanuts :shock: Farm ''gov.'' payments for peanuts in Ala. for 95-2004 was $239,350,643!!!!!!!!! The top 5 growers collected from $1,644,000-$1,031,000 gives a whole new meaning to the term ''working for peanuts'' :???:

mwj said:
Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Maybe you should try growing peanuts :shock: Farm ''gov.'' payments for peanuts in Ala. for 95-2004 was $239,350,643!!!!!!!!! The top 5 growers collected from $1,644,000-$1,031,000 gives a whole new meaning to the term ''working for peanuts'' :???:

I knew it was bunch but didn't know it was that much. Same way with cotton. The big growers get all the gov proceeds, and they are usually politicians. :???:

Big Muddy rancher said:
PORKER said:
Just got the RITCHE BROS. SALES cataloge in the mail yesterday. Lots of John Deere tractors for sale in there :roll: and Case IH and NEW HOLLAND and VERSATILE. All that nice shiney steel so much to buy and nothing to buy it with :cry:

I recently saw a story on how they are going into raising cotton in KS in a pretty big way.......because it takes far less water than corn. Doubtless, the payments are an influence, too.

BMR, that will also be true in the USA.....farmers have made that work for them a couple of times already in my lifetime......gov't. subsidizes taking land out of grain.......and they put it into grass and raise more cattle. In a few years, cattle prices drop........and there are subsidies to go back to grain!

That may not work this time, as Sportsmens' groups like the return to grass, believing it is better for the wildlife (big game instead of, or in addition to, birds) and they just might have the political power to keep it however they want it! They are vocal and have the time and money to "win friends and influence people", especially state and national politicians!

MRJ

MRJ

I've got a few acres in a wheat and sorghum program that I get a check for now. A very small check.Cows have been grazing it for about 12 years.

Latest posts