• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Judge these here bulls.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mytfarms

Reaction score
All right, I'm gonna post them one at a time. I got a lot of feedback on that Denver bull, so here are a few more for you to tear apart. OK, this is a Shorthorn called Muridale Buster. I think I can get a pic of one of his sons too.

Muridale_Buster.jpg

Those are good looking bulls! What do their calves weigh at weaning? How do the carcasses grade? Should be some great beef, by the looks of the bulls.

mrj

Only data on the son is a BW of 70lbs. cause he ain't registered yet. The original roan bull only has EPD's which are sorta different for the SH breed. His are:
BW -1.3
WW +14
YW +28
Milk +3
These may look poor, but are apparently pretty good for the way the SH breed's EPD's are figured. Any SH breeders out there who could interpret them?

Ya, I of all people should be critical of that. :lol: Anyway, I'm looking to breed the top one to a black cow. That should throw a black calf with roan points?

mytfarms said:
Ya, I of all people should be critical of that. :lol: Anyway, I'm looking to breed the top one to a black cow. That should throw a black calf with roan points?

Just find a good black bull to breed to your black cow, then there won't be any "roan points" to worry about. :)

Soapweed said:
mytfarms said:

Just find a good black bull to breed to your black cow, then there won't be any "roan points" to worry about. :)

:agree:

Soapweed, my dad gave me a little of the same advice. :D Anyway, I also wanted to know what you all thought of these bulls. There's a char and two Herfs.

ch105_lead_on.jpg

Lead On

kcfm326.jpg

KCFM 326

lagrand80p.jpg

LaGrand 80P
Lets hear it all. Soap, I know. There's too much red and white there. :)

WyomingRancher said:
Soapweed said:
mytfarms said:

:agree:

I've never tasted "roan points" what part of the animal are they cut from. :D

Uniformity is worth as much as anything when it comes to marketing. The more cattle of the same class, color, and weight that you can sell as one "lot," the better.

Soapweed said:
Uniformity is worth as much as anything when it comes to marketing. The more cattle of the same class, color, and weight that you can sell as one "lot," the better.

Point taken.

I can remember years back when this country was all herefords up here- and about the only "other" bulls anyone used were shorthorn bulls...We were one of the first in our area to get an angus bull when Dad bought one in the mid 50's...
Before the angus- Grandpa always kept the roany heifers for replacements as usually they turned into the best cows- raised the bigger calves- probably because of the heterosis of the shorthorns and more milk...
Now you hardly see a hereford anymore- and I don't know of anyone that has any shorthorns...

Welp, the deal is sealed! You'll be looking at some Muridale Buster (Roan bull) calves in spring 2010! :D

Ok here goes. Having black angus cows to cross the bull with my first choice would be LeGrand 80P. It appears to be a longer made bull then KCFM326. Myself I prefer a herford angus cross to a char angus cross. I do think that the char angus will sometimes outweigh the others. Looking to add heifers to the herd I would use the LeGrand bull. However, if looking for pure profit and weight I'd use Lead On. In my opinion using the Murildale Bull will cut into profits due to the buyers leaning toward uniformity in color of hides. Roan cattle might be fun to look at but the odd colored ones are the ones they cut out sale day.

Just my opinion.

CattleArmy said:
Ok here goes. Having black angus cows to cross the bull with my first choice would be LeGrand 80P. It appears to be a longer made bull then KCFM326. Myself I prefer a herford angus cross to a char angus cross. I do think that the char angus will sometimes outweigh the others. Looking to add heifers to the herd I would use the LeGrand bull. However, if looking for pure profit and weight I'd use Lead On. In my opinion using the Murildale Bull will cut into profits due to the buyers leaning toward uniformity in color of hides. Roan cattle might be fun to look at but the odd colored ones are the ones they cut out sale day.

Just my opinion.

Thanks CA. That makes sense.

I'm glad I sell my cattle grade and yield so I don't have to worry about colour as much. What really makes buyers pant is shrink you could sell them purple jerseys at a premium if you give them two extra points of shrink. Over the years we've had a few blue roan cows-bred black you get black claves-the only difference is they outweigh the straight black calves by about 50lbs. They were all pretty good cows I think they all ended up getting age culled. Ten or fifteen years ago straight black bulls could solve alot of problems in some cowherds-now that the milk and marbling futurity is going strong they might cause more problems than they fix. The breed is turning into one of extremes-it's getting harder to find just good middle of the road Angus cattle.

Latest posts