• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Jump Starting COOL

Help Support Ranchers.net:

This program was set up for our export customer countries that were demanding verification it was US beef- and beef that met certain other BSE specs (UTM, have to be slaughtered in plants that don't slaughter OTM's, have to be in plants that don't handle Canadian product, etc).

So, it has only been since May 20, 2003, that they have been doing this?

Try again!

It has been due to the fact that they could get quality product, at a disocounted raw product price, add value and resell it at a marked up price that has kept US export market growing.

That's fine, believe what you will! We will continue to expand out export market, ship the 10% that you need and ship the exscess quality product to other countries.

We'll add the value here in Canada, keep pushing for protectionism OT, I'm sure it will help you in the long run.

Hey, but short term gain is better, right, the hell with long term gain, for the betterment of the industry.

"I'm OT, I only think of myself, screw the rest"

Murgen said:
This program was set up for our export customer countries that were demanding verification it was US beef- and beef that met certain other BSE specs (UTM, have to be slaughtered in plants that don't slaughter OTM's, have to be in plants that don't handle Canadian product, etc).

So, it has only been since May 20, 2003, that they have been doing this?

Try again!

It has been due to the fact that they could get quality product, at a disocounted raw product price, add value and resell it at a marked up price that has kept US export market growing.

That's fine, believe what you will! We will continue to expand out export market, ship the 10% that you need and ship the exscess quality product to other countries.

We'll add the value here in Canada, keep pushing for protectionism OT, I'm sure it will help you in the long run.

Hey, but short term gain is better, right, the hell with long term gain, for the betterment of the industry.

"I'm OT, I only think of myself, screw the rest"

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings so bad Murgen- but it is fact- there are people and countries out there that are asking for US beef and that do not want Canadian beef... JUST A FACT....

Bruce Peterson on customers: WalMart's success is that it does what's right for the shopper, said Peterson. Produce customers are driven by four key factors: 1) value; 2) convenience - fresh cut and 1-stop shopping; 3) health/nutrition; 4) indulgence - what they buy with their disposable income. Peterson enlarged on this point by saying we (Sunkist growers) need to understand the customer and that our competition is chips and candy. It's easier to grab a bag of Doritos than it is to peel and eat an orange.

Customers in the 18 to 36-year category are pressed for time. And they choose not to cook. Cooking has been relegated to hobby status - weekends and special occasions. They don't buy raw ingredients, preferring to eat out, grab fast food or take already prepared meals home. Consumers have choice: they can decide what they buy, where they'll buy it and what they'll pay.

About suppliers: The thing to remember, said Peterson, is that we (Wal-Mart) are not the customer; our customer is the consumer. That's why he believes the supply chain - from production to end user - is horizontal. It is consumer driven. There's a need to integrate the supply chain with the just-in-time needs of consumer demand.

Food safety, traceability and COOL: Although these topics were covered in separate questions from the audience, they clearly relate and all are extremely important to Wal-Mart's perishables division. Peterson said his company believes in country of origin labeling (COOL), but the proposed law is a bad one. With the bill delayed, they are working with others in the produce industry for a more realistic way to get it accomplished.

Because of food safety concerns, Wal-Mart's [and practically all other retailers] have dropped their fresh orange juicing machines. "No matter if 99% of our stores were doing a good job, it's the 1% that makes the news," he said. Wal-Mart's is not now dictating food safety measures at the producer level, "but we're looking at it - especially on a global basis. Everyone in the supply chain has to raise the bar on food safety, even though the vast majority of food safety problems happen in the home."

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings so bad Murgen- but it is fact- there are people and countries out there that are asking for US beef and that do not want Canadian beef... JUST A FACT....

Didn't hurt my feelings! I know the difference, do you have facts that others would rather buy your BSE infected meat, instead of our BSE infected meat?

Latest posts