• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Just Curious????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
Who here can speak a second language fluently? And if you can what is it? I'm sure some of you Canuk's can speak French....but yeah just curious what kind of bilingual group we have here. I am infatuated with languages and wish so much I could speak another one fluently. My goal before I become an old coger is to learn one....

You forgot English...lol

I took 2 years of Spanish in Jr. High. Didn't do me a lick of good. Can't speak it at all. What they teach is what's spoken in Spain. Not what's spoken by Mexicans.

i am fluent in cajun french. it was my dads first language and they used to get whipped in school for speaking it. Alot of the older folks around here still speak it in front of us younguns when they dont want us to know what they are saying.

i also speak a little spanish. enough to speak to the mexicans that work on the farm.

Mr Lilly's uncle was workin cows one day. We stopped by just to visit. Somethin happened..and he needed a rope right away. He was tryin to tell a Mexican fella that works for him that he needed "El Rope" "El Ropo"....getting kinda frantic in his 'asking'.....course we were all laughin, and I turned to the mexican fella and said....Lariat....he understood...

My wife can speak English, Tagalog (national language of the Philippines), and then several of the Northern Luzon dialects...Ilocano, Pangasinan, and Pangalatook.

I understand a bit of Tagalog, and a LOT of Ilocano (her native dialect). I can watch Tagalog movies with no subtitles and get the gist of the flick, and she can't speak to her friends or relatives in person or on the phone and not expect me to have no idea what she is talking about. It's lots of fun to walk in on her and one of her friends yapping and join in on the conversation...in English, of course! Blows their minds every time! :lol:

When I was making deliveries in LA, I got to where I could converse, with limits, in Espanol with the Mexican store owners/employees. Didn't really have much choice in the matter...and Ilocano is heavily based on Spanish, anyway.

I'm fluent in cracker engish and can understand speak mexican spanish fair. When I use to get in my sips my spanish got better. Some say I could raddle it out real romanic. kind of like a old truvador.

cowhunter said:
I'm fluent in cracker engish and can understand speak mexican spanish fair. When I use to get in my sips my spanish got better. Some say I could raddle it out real romanic. kind of like a old truvador.

With a little practice I can read cowhunters posts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
cowhunter said:

With a little practice I can read cowhunters posts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Use the southern accent, it comes easier. :wink: :lol:

Being from a Mennonite background, I grew up speaking a German dialect known as Pennsylvania Dutch. Dad would not let us kids speak English to him so we were all fluent in it.

But it's amazing how quickly one loses it when not speaking it regularly and after he died in '95, my command of it diminished greatly. But I can still carry on a conversation with our Mennonite and Amish neighbors.

I love women who are bilingual...just the thought of that second tounge drives me wild!!!
LOL

English is pretty much my only spoken language. Working in Quebec our staff spoke to us in French and we spoke back in English. I can also get the gist of written French, and German and understand a little German and Spanish. When working around the world in the Eighties pretty much the only language needed was the US $. :)

Danish from living with a Danish fam. and attending a Danish highschool as an exchange student. The fastest way to learn. In only a couple months you can learn it quite comfortably.

However, I can still remember having to look up 81 new words in the Danish dictionary on night for only ONE homework history assignment!! So there was some pain to it.

Tibbs, I imagine you could easily pick up Spanish down there.

Faster horses said:
Reminds me of a song, nr--"It's so nice to have a man
around the house". :p
Faster Horses probably meant to post this under her camera fixing question rather than this thread. And yes, FH there are pluses and minuses to a man around the house and I'm sure he'd say the same about women. Not me of course :wink:

Latest posts