• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Just starting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
At the insistence of my daughter and grand daughter I acquired some white German shepherds - - - They are both 2 years old now totally unrelated - - - the next heat we will see if they can deliver on some good pups.

I have had the male (Max) about a month and got him started bringing up the weaned calves - - - SLOWLY AND CALMLY - - - I got the female ( Jasmine) on Tuesday. I have been working with the male and tied the two together the first day. Now after just a couple of times they are trying to work as a pair. Instinct coming thru!

The male is on the left - - - he decided he would take over from my 6 year old male Fritz and now has a slit right ear and a chunk out of he right front leg - - - this took about 30 seconds before I could separate them.

They probably will never be the working dogs a border collie is but I have had several good German Shepherd cattle dogs and 2 outstanding ones over the decades - - - This female had never seen a cow until she came here but really wants to please me and that is half the battle! If a dog wants to learn and you are patient they will out work several good cowboys and do not cost near as much to keep on the payroll!

Jasmine and Max have been doing well in their training - - - Keeping Max slow is still an issue but getting better.

Jasmine has been slowing down as it seems toward the end of November she and Max decided it was time for her first litter - - - She likes to lay around more than work now - - - hoping for a good litter of white pups!

We had German Shepherds that were good cattle dogs in the past. One was given to us by an Ohio hunter and that dog
had been tied up in his yard for a year. When we turned him loose, he went crazy, running for an entire day. Then he
settled down and though he had never even seen a cow in his life, wound up being a very good stock dog.

Can't wait to see the pups!

BTW George, how did you get into this particular breed of dog? I'd be interested in that story.

Faster horses said:
BTW George, how did you get into this particular breed of dog? I'd be interested in that story.

When I was in high school a friend of my step father raised white german shepherds - - - he had a silver gray pup that they ignored as nobody wanted or expected a silver gray. I thought it was neat and he gave it to me. My preacher kept it for me while I was in the USMC and he lived till about 1973 - - - a great dog.

In 1975 I joined the local sheriff's dept and in late 1975 I was dispatched to kill a vicious dog. Upon evaluating the situation I called back to the sheriff to see if I could "rescue" the dog. I was given 2 weeks to rehabilitate the dog. The dog responded well to food and care and became the first K9 dog for the department. He lived till 1988 and was killed by a charolis cow defending her calf. At the time he had almost no teeth, 3 legs and 1 eye but he was still ready to work at all times. The best dog I have ever been around! The cow blind sided him and all I can say is I think he left the way he would have wanted!

I got a retiring silver gray german shepherd from the army about 15 years ago as she was a beautiful silver gray and started breeding them from her.

This is Zealand at about 3 years.

This is Shatta, one of her great grand daughters.

I still love the silver gray!

Latest posts