• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Just wondering,,,, Agman?????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
Sometimes you her something and hold onto it pasdt the shelf life of it being fact.......

I had heard we are impoorting more beef from Canada in the box than we where getting in both the box and live form prior to the ban...... Is this still true, maybe it never was true.

If it's true, then a lot of perceptions are severely misguided. The perception that the closed border is the reason we have high prices is blatantly wrong if the above is true. Also, the closed border for depressed prices in Canada would be wrong....

Since the new Cow, The US loses the Taiwan market, I'd think a drop in the bucket????????? But it has been blown to new proportions by those that live on fear,

Just wondering,

PPRM

And with all the doom and gloom,,,,,,,,,

At 9:20PST, mthe source I use showed August LC up .275,,,,

Hmmmm, My bet is good Slaughter Cows may still be $60/cwt this week,,,,,

A lot of the news of the BSE cow was priced into the futures prior to Friday,

in the Cash market, people are still eating beef and I think the retailers are still somewhat short bought,,

PPRM

PPRM said:
Sometimes you her something and hold onto it pasdt the shelf life of it being fact.......

I had heard we are impoorting more beef from Canada in the box than we where getting in both the box and live form prior to the ban...... Is this still true, maybe it never was true.

If it's true, then a lot of perceptions are severely misguided. The perception that the closed border is the reason we have high prices is blatantly wrong if the above is true. Also, the closed border for depressed prices in Canada would be wrong....

Since the new Cow, The US loses the Taiwan market, I'd think a drop in the bucket????????? But it has been blown to new proportions by those that live on fear,

Just wondering,

PPRM

We are NOT bringing in more beef from Canada then combined beef and cattle production equivalent before the ban. Anyone suggesting otherwise is simply wrong.

The reasons for the higher prices were due to an extremely tight front-end fed cattle supply in the summer and fall of 2003. Combine that with exceptional domestic beef demand and exports to Asia and no imports from Canada and you get the price results of the second-half of 2003.

During 2004 domestic slaughter and beef production recorded the second largest annual decline on record. Domestic cow slaughter declined 1.0 million head from the previous year accounting for the firm cow prices. YTD cow slaughter is 6,000 head per week below last year and domestic beef production is down 270 million pounds. Total slaughter of all cattle YTD is down 639,000 head.

What is changing? Cattle slaughter will increase the balance of this year. domestic beef demand peaked in 2004. Thus any gains in slaughter will pressure cut-out values and fed cattle which has already occurred. Next, well if you ever stacked domino's you understand that feeder and calf prices will eventually reflect the mounting losses in the fed cattle sector. Remember we are exporting more beef this year than last year. As such, declining domestic beef demand is the main factor contributing to lower cutout values and fed cattle prices. Beef cutout values have declined $30/cwt from their winter/spring peak while fed cattle prices have declined approximately $12/cwt during the same period. Have a great day.

Latest posts