• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kaiser pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rkaiser

Reaction score
Thought I would throw a few pictures at you all. I guess that the ranch talk or coffee shop threads may be the place for pictures but I think most of those folks are far too nice for grumpy old me.

This first shot is of some of our pasture that was grazed while we were calving in April and early May, and then left to grow with some nice timely rains through late May and June. Moved about 40 pairs through the a three foot tangled mass on this 20 acre paddock for the last 3 weeks of July and moved them out a couple of days ago. Very little rain here in July but the cover is great and we are seeing regrowth in a matter of days. Hard to tell from the photo but this stand was seeded 15 years ago, and has never seen non organic fertiliser. Again maybe hard to see, but there is alfalfa, brome, timothy, fescue, orchard grass, and some native grasses that I don't know the name of. Even included a nice little dandilion for any grazon folks.

I know Oltimer - makes you wish you lived in good old Central Alberta HAY.

P1011189.jpg

And then some shots of some tanks we call Welsh Blacks and a Blue crossbred with some Shorthorn blood in her just specially for Rod.

P1011200.jpg

P1011191.jpg

[/img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb286/rkaiser_photo/P1011203.jpg

Not only are those white and brown stems from hoof action, we had some major hail action here a couple of weeks ago as well. Did some major destruction of the neighbors cereal crops, but mostly knocked the heads off the mature grasses and kicked the **** out of the thistles trying to hide in our lunch buffet.

rkaiser
I know Oltimer - makes you wish you lived in good old Central Alberta HAY.

Randy them ol short grass easy keepers of mine would probably founder in something like that :wink: :lol:

But green is sure a pretty color...Most of our green has turned pretty brown in this 100 degree heat and no rain-- but luckily there is lots of grass..

I like your cattle, bright green grass, and style of management, even though we might not always see eye-to-eye on other things. :roll: Keep posting pictures, since each one is worth a thousand words. :wink:

Not bad.........Not bad at all,no wonder those packers wanna partner with you :D :D
good luck

Those is some crackin' good cows there Randy. I'll be around in a couple days to pick that old roan up and give her a nice home where she'll be appreciated for those speckles on her butt. :wink:

Rod

:? Here I've been telling the nice people in coffeeshop how dry we are here in East Central Alta. and then you post these :!: Nice looking grass and cattle Randy....uhhhh send us some of that rain you've obviously been hogging

About 100 pairs - 20 yearling heifers and 20 yearling steers on 400 acres of this kind of ground at home. Will graze from mid May til well into December in about 20 paddocks no more than about 20 acres each.
You'll have to figure the stocking rate out yourself Sandhusker. Don't forget this kind of grass and production took years to build. And this year was better than most for early moisture.

Haymaker - you know where them American Multinational packers can pack any offer on my cattle don't you.

Thanks for the compliments from Soapy and the Montana Grouch.

Red Robin - I assume your wink means that you know I have never looked at an EPD that I liked. In fact we have no EPD's in the Welsh Black breed. I like words like "sunshine meat" like the Welshmen use to describe the loin on the cattle rather than numbers that mother nature can throw a curve into any time she pleases. We do linear measure mind you, and have been throwing around some thoughts of building EPD numbers from linear measuring with a friend doing his masters thesis as we speak.

I've warned momma to watch for blue cow poachers Rod - she's pretty good with a .22.

Will try to send some rain out east Ms. Greg. In fact our Galloway herd is out in the Battle River valley, just south of Hardisty on Pure Country land and it's looking a might parched. Good old PC has a handle on pasture management thank goodness and has a quite few quarters of untouched ground to finish off the season.

Randy, not bad looking cows...even if they are black. :wink: :wink: :D
Could have caught ole Blue in a less embarrassing moment :oops: ...but I'm sure you were focused on that bull doing his job!!! 8) ...I like that bull!!!

Don't you and PC know y'all can't do that rotational grazing stuff up there!!! :lol: :lol: The world is full of "can't do it here" people...and it really pisses them off when somebody like you DOES IT!

rkaiser said:
Red Robin - I assume your wink means that you know I have never looked at an EPD that I liked.
I knew that Randy, thus my sarcasm.
We do linear measure mind you, and have been throwing around some thoughts of building EPD numbers from linear measuring with a friend doing his masters thesis as we speak.
It'd help the marketability of more common bulls Randy but I don't personally think it'll improve the breed like actual data will. Looks like you've done pretty well the old fashioned way to me. Good luck either way.

Latest posts