• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Katrina Evacuees - UPDATE!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Feb 4, 3:13 AM EST

Katrina evacuees want money from hotel as incentive to move

NEW YORK (AP) -- A group of Hurricane Katrina evacuees staying at a Queens hotel want it to contribute $2,500 to each family as an incentive to move, but the hotel's owners are questioning their obligation to pay.

Charlie King, a lawyer and a Democratic candidate for New York attorney general who was involved in a meeting this week on the proposal between hotel management and community leaders, told The New York Times in Saturday's editions that the money also would help cover costs for families seeking permanent housing.

The owners of the hotel, Radisson J.F.K. Airport, are expected to meet with the families' representatives on Tuesday.

"What the hotel is wondering is why private citizens are coming forward and asking the hotel for things that are FEMA's responsibility," said Marc Leffman, chief executive of Atlanta-based French Quarter Hospitality, which owns the hotel.

Advertisement

About 30 families remain at the Radisson, the last of about 120 Gulf Coast-area families who arrived there after the hurricane. Their rooms are being paid for by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Many of the families who have left the hotel have relocated to city-managed or permanent housing, or to other hotels in the area.

In January, the Radisson's managers told remaining evacuees that they would need to find new housing by the end of the month because of a scheduled $7 million hotel renovation. That led to a protest in which the Rev. Al Sharpton threatened to boycott the hotel if it forced the evacuees to leave.

I am so glad the rest of the USA is seeing what we live with every day in the south east.
Now see how y'all like it.

So label them freeloaders, irresponsible, ingrates, whatever

third (maybe fourth) generation victims of the enslavement under the welfare state?

yep place the blame where it belongs.....it ain't thier fault they is poor.....

and the system is not taking care of them.....

Thousands of Katrina Victims Evicted
Associated Press ^

Posted on 02/07/2006 3:09:37 PM PST by artsymom

NEW ORLEANS - Hauling everything he owned in a plastic garbage bag, Darryl Travis walked out of the chandeliered lobby of the Crowne Plaza, joining the exodus of Hurricane Katrina refugees evicted from their hotel rooms across the country Tuesday.

More than 4,500 evacuees were expected to check out of their government-paid hotel rooms Tuesday as the Federal Emergency Management Agency began cutting off money to pay for their stays.

Far more people — a total of more than 20,000 storm victims — were given extensions by FEMA until at least next week and possibly as long as March 1, said FEMA spokesman Butch Kinerney.

FEMA said it gave people every possible opportunity to request an extension.

"We've bent over backward to reach out. We've gone door-to-door to all of the 25,000 hotel rooms no fewer than six times. And there are individuals who have refused to come to the door, refused to answer. There are people who have run when they saw us coming — those are the ones that are now moving on," Kinerney said.

While some of the evacuees leaving the Crowne Plaza said they had found other housing, several said they were now homeless.

Travis, 24, and his five childhood friends — all in their 20s — had been living on the floor of another evacuee's hotel room, never having registered.

"All I got is a couple pairs of pants and some shirts. The pressure is on," said Jonathan Gautier, 26, one of the six, who was also carrying a single plastic bag filled with clothes.

Wheeling out her boxes of belongings, 20-year-old Katie Kinkella and sister, Jennifer, were heading back to their ruined house in heavily flooded St. Bernard Parish. The sisters had stayed first at the Marriott, and later at the Crowne Plaza as they waited for FEMA to deliver a trailer. Then they waited some more for FEMA to hook up the electricity at the trailer.

"They just connected it yesterday," Kinkella said as she loaded bags, boxes and suitcases into the back of a pickup on the curb outside the hotel.

In Houston, where 4,000 evacuees were staying in hotels, around 80 percent had received permission to extend their stays until at least next Monday. The remaining 20 percent either failed to contact FEMA or made other housing arrangements, said Frank Michel, a spokesman for Mayor Bill White.

"People need to begin to take responsibility for themselves," Michel said.

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco complained that FEMA was pulling the plug on the hotel program before securing other housing.

Outside the Crowne Plaza, protesters held up signs that said: "No trailers. No eviction."

Brittany Brown, 21, wept as she explained that although she had been given an extension, eviction was now looming next week. She applied for a trailer in October and, although she keeps calling, her trailer has yet to show up.

We had quite a few of the ones sent to charlotte at my school. We now only have 6 families left. Of those one family found housing, a job and is staying here. Both parents are workign full time and even asked to be taken off the free & reduced lunch since they could afford it now. LOL School said its been approved for the year and if they change it then it might cost another family thier benifits..........BS the school is worried about getting below the 98% free & reduced level. We get so much more money with F&R they do whatever it takes to keep it.
One family if you can call them that. OMGAWD the oldest "adult" is 23 and she is in charge of 4 kids ages 6-11. Said parents left months before the storm, but with all the attention she was now getting help so she is taking all she can. Too bad these kids need more than money. BUT the system will throw more money at them uuuggggggg

I cannot help but wonder.....if I purposely built my home on a flood plain and (gasp) my home were destroyed by a flood.....would FEMA and hundreds of celebrities and the Red Cross put me and my family in a $200 a night hotel or provide us with a nice trailer (FREE..no less) and gift cards and food and clothing??????? Hmmmmmm, I think NOT!!! Number One...the hubby is healthy and perfectly willing and able to WORK to get his family back on their own 2 feet!!! Number 2.....the "cycle of welfare" is a crock!!!! I have personally known many folks who were on welfare only long enough to get through a really tough time and then on their own!! Unfortunately, I have also known the other side....folks who LIVE on the work of others....Lifetime welfare recipients who only teach their own kids to do the same!! PATHETIC!!! Our entire welfare system needs a serious overhaul!! I for one am sick and tired of busting my a$$ so that some lazy, do-nothing can have a free ride!!! :mad:

Sorry for venting, but this is one subject that really rides a razor on my nerves!!!!!!!

You better watch it ranchwife or "they" will start calling you names :roll:

sw said:
You better watch it ranchwife or "they" will start calling you names :roll:

Bring it on!!!!!! :wink: I know for a fact that I am not alone in my thinking that something is very wrong, huh???? :D

Latest posts