• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kids Prohibited From Farm Work

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
A proposal from the Obama administration to prevent children from doing farm chores has drawn plenty of criticism from rural-district members of Congress. But now it's attracting barbs from farm kids themselves.

The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families' land.

Under the rules, children under 18 could no longer work "in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials."

"Prohibited places of employment," a Department press release read, "would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions."

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government's approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-kids-parents-angry-about-labor-dept-rule-banning-farm-chores/#ixzz1t3aCMuNI

More evidence of just how out of touch Obama is with most of America. I spent my summer vacations and days off from school helping my step-dad who was a hog buyer at the sale barn.

From the article:

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government's approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course.

This is just the lefts way of turning hard working self respecting farm kids into more good for nothing couch sitters. If they grow up looking for hand outs from their parents instead of working hard for what they recieve they will transition easier into grow up looking to the government to GIVE THEM a welfare check without having to WORK FOR IT.

:mad:

Seems to me a law like that would have to be enforced on a local
level. What lawman in a rural area would enforce it? Most of them
worked on ranches/farms/livestock auctions/feedlots/ when they
were kids.

I remember the sheriff in W. Montana coming out and running the
chute for us. He went to brandings, got in the rodeo, etc. etc. And
the one here has a ranch himself.

Obama has no clue, not one, of what goes on in the real world,
especially the RURAL real world. He's a joke that's not funny.

Faster horses said:
were kids.

Can you imagine a lawman coming in and telling a branding crew that the 16 year old that is healing calves from his horse is breaking the law. I don't see that going very good for the lawman do you? :lol:

Faster horses said:
were kids.

they would try to enforce it through fear-
what if a kid gets hurt on your place- could you loose your place?
what if it's your kid that gets hurt- can child services take him away?
could you go to jail for child endangerment? hospitals will be required to report these things if they take federal dollars (which they almost all do)

Liberty is when government fears you- Tyranny is when you have reason to fear your government!

You are right they will most likely step in and take a child away from parents that make their children learn to have some work ethic as a young adult but they will stand by while drug addicted Welfare bums living off the tax payers teach their children how to work the system to pay for their drug and booze filled lifestyles. :mad:

Mike said:
A proposal from the Obama administration to prevent children from doing farm chores has drawn plenty of criticism from rural-district members of Congress. But now it's attracting barbs from farm kids themselves.

The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families' land.

Under the rules, children under 18 could no longer work "in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials."

"Prohibited places of employment," a Department press release read, "would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-kids-parents-angry-about-labor-dept-rule-banning-farm-chores/#ixzz1t3aCMuNI

Starting with your post "children under 18" then afterwards I see no specifics as to whether children that live on the farm can't work on the farm. I can't see a NY city teenager having been raised in the city all his life being allowed to do all kinds of work on the farm. Pros and cons here imo.

So let's get this right. The government thinks they can manage children even after all their governmental failures even including social services. i have seen the many failures in the Social Servicews sector and if the government implements that type of oversight the kids are in a lot more jeopardy than in their parents hands. We don't need the government raising our kids.

TSR said:
Mike said:

Starting with your post "children under 18" then afterwards I see no specifics as to whether children that live on the farm can't work on the farm. I can't see a NY city teenager having been raised in the city all his life being allowed to do all kinds of work on the farm. Pros and cons here imo.

Dept of Labor: Kids can't work on family farms....

from Democratic Underground website. Notice where it says rule would apply child labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from preforming a list of jobs on THEIR OWN FAMILIES FARM.

Kids that grow up on farms can't work on those farms because the nanny state dems want them all sitting on the couch playing video games and getting fat so they can blame the parents for allowing their child to become Obese. :roll:

My third try to post. I see nothing wrong with family members working on their own farm--the parents/guardians will have to assume the responsibility for their own kids(can one parent sue another for negligence in a catastrophic accident)? I do see a problem with other children working as liability rates would rise helping those "poor insurance co.s" not to mention the lawyers, it would just be a matter of time.

TSR said:
My third try to post. I see nothing wrong with family members working on their own farm--the parents/guardians will have to assume the responsibility for their own kids(can one parent sue another for negligence in a catastrophic accident)? I do see a problem with other children working as liability rates would rise helping those "poor insurance co.s" not to mention the lawyers, it would just be a matter of time.

Well it is good to hear you don't have a problem with children working beside their loving parents and learning work ethic from somebody that is going to care about their safety BUT you are not the one trying to write these insane laws, some loon in the Obama Administration Labor Department is. ANd until those that supported him raise up and finally say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH these types of rules will not stop and the US will be regulated right into the deepest darkest hole you have ever seen in you lifetime.

Oh and just so you know these are the types of regulations you are going to get when the radical government behind them can say

If we are paying for your healthcare than you have to live by OUR RULES.

When a government wants to write rules to limit your activities they will use your healthcare cost to justify ANYTHING.

If farms kids can't work on the family farm then city kids shouldn't beable to skate board as how many skate boarding accidents wind up with the kid in a cast. NO skiing either, NO swimming as kids drowned, and No play grounds as kids get hurt on monkey bars all the time. FAIR IS FAIR if you are going to limit farm kids activities then city kids should have their activities limited for the same safety reasons. :x

Farm safety, in regards to children is the "fake cause", unionized labour is the real goal.

Look at which groups are pushing this. The Dems. are once again, trying to buy votes, with support for the union lobbyiests

America's farm workers have always had it tough, toiling for endless hours in the fields under brutal conditions. But those workers do benefit from a unique income subsidy in the country's industrial farming system: children.

In every region of the country, bountiful harvests are regularly gathered by the tender hands of child poverty: several hundred thousand kids work on farms, typically to help their families survive. Those children who deliver crisp peppers and sweet grapes to the mouths of other kids every day represent the devastating social toll of the dysfunctional food industry.

http://www.unions.org/home/union-blog/2012/03/28/citing-%E2%80%98tradition%E2%80%99-big-ag-fights-reforms-for-child-farmworkers/

Tam said:
Oh and just so you know these are the types of regulations you are going to get when the radical government behind them can say

If we are paying for your healthcare than you have to live by OUR RULES.

When a government wants to write rules to limit your activities they will use your healthcare cost to justify ANYTHING.

If farms kids can't work on the family farm then city kids shouldn't beable to skate board as how many skate boarding accidents wind up with the kid in a cast. NO skiing either, NO swimming as kids drowned, and No play grounds as kids get hurt on monkey bars all the time. FAIR IS FAIR if you are going to limit farm kids activities then city kids should have their activities limited for the same safety reasons. :x

how many kids are hurt and killed in cars ?

We already have an overreaching federal government powerfull enough to take private property (money) away from someone and give it to someone else. Then what is to stop them from becoming strong enough to take private property (land) away and give it to someone else?

kind of like stealing GM from the stockholders and giving it to the unions.

they already have programs rewarding you to turn in your neighbors- how about "see your neighbor letting his children work on a farm- report it and we'll give you 1/4 of his farm." ( and keep the rest for ourselves)

Latest posts