• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Killing Terri

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Killing Terri Schiavo
Thomas Sowell

March 24, 2005

People who say that the government has no business interfering in a private decision like removing Terri Schiavo's feeding tube somehow have no problem with a squad of policemen preventing her parents (or anyone else) from giving their daughter food or water.

Do those who want to keep the government out of private decisions think that the police are not the government? Do they think that the judges who authorized this are not the government?

Sadly, this is not the only Alice-in-Wonderland confusion of words and deeds in this tragic case.

We are being told that Terri Schiavo is being "allowed" to "die a natural death." Such an argument might make some sense if this were a terminally ill person. But Terri Schiavo is not dying from anything other than a lack of food and water, from which any of the rest of us would die.

She is not dying a natural death. She is being killed.

What is being kept alive artificially is the liberal media version of events. One side of this story is being repeated endlessly, as if it were gospel, but anyone saying something different -- including doctors and nurses who have actually seen or taken care of Terri Schiavo -- is unlikely to be reported.

The nature of death by starvation and dehydration is also being depicted as "gentle" in the words of the New York Times -- the same New York Times which in 2002 reported starving people in India dying "clutching pained stomachs."

This "gentle" death is the story line in the liberal media but a priest who has actually seen Terri Schiavo tells a wholly different story of her visibly deteriorating condition. If this is such an easy death, why not videotape it and show those of us who are less enlightened how mistaken we are? Instead, there is a ban on anyone's photographing Terri as she dies.

Despite the oft-repeated claim that Terri Schiavo is being "allowed" to die, supposedly in accordance with her own wishes, the only person who says that these were her wishes is the one person who wants her dead and who personally stands to benefit from her death -- her husband, Michael Schiavo.

When Sean Hannity said this on the Fox News channel's "Hannity & Colmes" program, he was assured by a lawyer who was defending the removal of the feeding tube that Michael Schiavo was not the only one to hear Terri say this. But, when Hannity demanded to know the name of just one other person, the lawyer followed an old lawyer's maxim: "When your case is weak, shout louder!" He shouted and waxed indignant -- but did not produce the name of any other person.

This case is one where many people speak with certainty about very uncertain things -- and the certainties of one side contradict the certainties of the other.

Many seem certain that Terri Schiavo is vegetative, does not understand what is going on around her and cannot respond. But Carla Sauer Iyer, a nurse who attended Mrs. Schiavo for more than a year, has contradicted all of this. Moreover, she has painted a very different picture of Michael Schiavo than the one he presents to the courts and to the media.

But you are not likely to find her eyewitness account of events in the mainstream media.

According to this nurse, Michael Schiavo complained that his wife wasn't dying fast enough -- only the word he used was not wife or woman but a word that cannot be repeated in a family newspaper.

The nurse's sworn statement, under penalty of perjury, is that she reported to the police that she had found Terri in both medical and emotional distress after a closed door visit by her husband -- and that she also found a vial of insulin, as well as needle marks on Terri, after Michael Schiavo's visit.

The same mainstream media that will scour the country to find individuals to quote in support of killing Terri Schiavo will not lift a finger to investigate the chilling charges this nurse filed with the police years ago. It might disturb the picture they are trying to paint.

Terri Schiavo is being killed because she is inconvenient to her husband and because she is inconvenient to those who do not want the idea of the sanctity of life to be strengthened and become an impediment to abortion. Nor do they want the supremacy of judges to be challenged, when judges are the liberals' last refuge.

This whole mess makes me very ill.....

Why is Mike so adamant about killing his wife?? He is already a bigamist with 2 kids. Why doesn't he just divorce his wife and marry his "live in"? Let Terri's parents take care of her? What is the purpose? Is he really afraid Terri will come to grips and tell the truth about the reason she was in this state in the first place?? Did he choke her?? Was she a bulemia problem?? What, What, What?? I am tired of hearing this story, Our Father In Heaven will make the decision. God help the people who want her DEAD.

hanta Yo i think i heard something about their being a life insurance policy he prolly wants to get his hands on.

Thanks Cal for the great post. I believe it is just the beginning of a trend in this country of taking someone's life when they no longer are able to contribute to society. Thomas Sowell is one of my favorite columnists. The MSM does not like him as he is a conservative and black.

Thanks for the post Cal. I think this noose should be hung around Michael Shiavo's neck. All he has to do is let the parents(Terri's) have guardianship and he can go on with his life.

Good post, Cal, as I've already posted, why doesn't he just divorce her (since he is a polygamist or bigamist or whatever) and let Terri's parents take custody and take care of her as they desire??? What kind of skin off Mike C's back? It's been implied there is insurance coming (how apparent and what a creep), or she might wake up and tell everyone how she ended up in the hospital in the first place, or he has a big problem with his inlaws or on and on and on. Letting go of her, giving her to her parents' care is the best choice morally, I think. Taking sides on the different issues I brought up above addresses morality and that is an issue I won't argue. Right is right, wrong is wrong. :!: :!:

Well, it looks like it's maybe in the last remaining hours for her and that illegitimate husband of hers has won. Sometimes we have no choice but to rely on divine justice. Does anyone suppose his common-law wife is smart enough to be a little nervous?

let her die what is natural about being hooked up to machines???

The people in this country are more humane to their pets than they are to their family.Why would anyone want to live like that is that really living?

I hope if my family ever faces this that they would be humane enough to pull the plug.

Imagine the bed sores that people like this endure oh yea she doesnt feel it anyhow.

How many of you would what to live the same way she has if thats living and heavens waiting I say let me go to heaven........Shes done enough time in HELL....

Okay Denny and Hat, make sure you write it down in case you're in her shoes with the similar circumstances;

Deny you therapy that could be beneficial to you if it might allow you to incriminate someone else.

Deny all your families wishes for gaurdianship from an unfaithful and abusive spouse.

Make sure your wife and boyfriend gets to spend your settlement or insurance money.

Ignore sworn testimony of anyone witnessing an attempt to overdose you, as well as statements like "isn't that ba****d dead yet?!"

Don't use x-rays of fractures and injuries to incriminate anyone.

Make sure you die of dehydration and starvation.

Get right on it now.

Tough position for all to be in... As County Coroner I used to have to attend and investigate all deaths that did not occur in a hospital- many of these were terminally ill persons who went home to die... I remember while at the scene of one young mans death (died from cancer) a young deputy had questioned whether I wanted an autopsy or fluid samples taken-- When I asked why- he said that with all the narcotic painkillers available to him he could have committed suicide or his wife could have overdosed him...My only thought was what difference would it make if it was suicide and I only hope my wife hands me the drugs if I am ever in the same situation.........

The tough ones to cope with were the individuals that committed suicide after finding that they had cancer or a disabilitating or possibly terminal illness with no or not enough insurance... Took their lives rather than look at their families lose everything- even tho some could have still lived a productive life... When I remember these persons I have a hard time watching our government send billions $ in AID to foreign countries while having no catastrophic care program for our own citizens which would allow a person to get care without his family losing the ranch or bankrupting themselves.......

It is unfortunate that we live in a world where one individual can make the decision to end the life of another due to their inability to perform any activities of daily living. Is she an inconvience? Is she a burden? We are on a slippery slope folks. How severe does the disability need to be to justify ending a life?

There is a big difference between living and being kept alive.

A living will would have soved all of this.

I too have a living will. I went one step further in making my daughter, who is a nurse, the medical executor. My husband has the belief there is always hope, and I didn't quite trust him to be able to pull the plug when needed. He has such a big heart, it would have been too hard on him.

Does the right have nothing better to do than to meddle in a brain dead woman's life? Her husband is only doing what his wife wished, God's will is being fulfilled in this case.

Just some thoughts,

If it was only the right meddling it would not have been a fight to save her life?

Is her husband doing as she wished or as he wishes, and is her $million lawsuit proceedings and life insurance policy influancing how he is acting?

If GOD's will is being done, why has her husband denied her HOLY communion, and the Body of Christ at last rites?

I would not want to live as she is, But how Terri lives is not my choice it is hers alone, I also would not want to die as she is being forced to die. that appears to be her husbands choice, not Terri's.

Had he been compasionate to Terri Families' grief, allowed Terri measures to ease her suffering, and for her faith to be observed I would feel better about his choice,

Moisture on her lips seems like a trivial measure to quivial about, but to a person who has been at the bedside of someone in the hospital and sat thre feeding a seriously ill person ice chips, I can see how much that sliver of cold moisture eases thier thirst, Just as communion would have eased those suffering with hers' grief. No the denial of these simple comfort measures shows me that her former husband is a real @$$..and has little to no feelings for Terri's wishes.

Hat,"That is what the man said. As a result of this fiasco I've told my fiance that if I ever enter this situation to PULL THE PLUG, my father was spewing about this BS and said yes so you all know PULL THE PLUG on me. He said his wife and he had a conversation that if this ever happened to PULL THE PLUG. What is said between a man a wife should be respected, look at your own lives. If he is lying, god will judge him later. Lately the Republican party is blurring the line and that's why I've lost all respect for them. ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY!"

And everything you've staighted in you post is absolutly worthless Hat. I've told....He said...What is said between a man and wife should be respected.

Seems to me your the one that wants government to get in on this. Not one mention of a living will by you. If you've lost respect for the Republican Party because of this go to the other side. My question to you is when will it stop? Who's next on the list? "ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY" Respecting life is CORRUPT???? Better screw your head on straight boy.

Sure is easy to sit back and put the judgement of death on someone else. What right does anyone have to do that?

Latest posts