• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Last American Cowboys.......?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

You know I like the show...I like the concept....but the guy narrating the thing gets on my last nerve. I hate how he builds up drama that isn't even there. I guess they gotta make a show but geeez. Just the way he portrays things....kinda like when you watch a nature show and they narrate saying what the animals are thinking or doing when its not that at all......

You weren't far off, Tibbs. He's 76. I haven't seen him in awhile and he was always one of those guys that never aged. I think his back problem has aged him the most. Kind of hard to see him like that. He always stood straight as a string.

He's genuine. He's the real deal. His wife is a great lady and the
kids are all good hands. I'm surprised they haven't talked more
about Cal. Maybe it's because Cal has 2 girls and Mick and Earlines
son is there on the ranch too, making it 4 decades of Stucky family.

Here's a little about him. He was inducted into the Montana Draft Teamster Hall of Fame in 2008.

Born in 1934, Earl Stucky was raised on his family ranch along the Gallatin River near Gallatin Gateway, driving teams to help with haying and other chores. Upon his marriage to Glenna Krueger in 1954 he purchased his family ranch from his parents, where he lived until the mid-sixties; he then took a job as the cow boss for the Flying D Ranch, near Bozeman. Work horses were used to feed the thousands of cattle on the ranch and Stucky was always on hand, riding his horse out to where the days' work was, instead of loading into a trailer. In 1976 Stucky and his family moved 14 miles north of Avon, purchased a team- Pat and Mike- and have been there for over 30 years. They continue to own and use draft horses at their ranch to this day. Many Percheron horses have been raised and broke by Stucky throughout the years on his ranch, using the horses for ranch work, parades, and pleasure- including winter sleigh rides treasured by his family.

When the first show of the series came on...I kept wonderin who was narrating it. At first I thought it was Mike Rowe...from Dirty Jobs. He does a lot of narration. But it's not him it is some fella by the name of Richard Belzer. And I have no idea who he is.

He certainly is into drama. He dramatizes everything. I never heard so
much about 'diverting disaster', etc. until I watch this show. :shock:

Animal Planet seems to dramatize all the rescue shows too. Gets
kinda old...and it's distracting. It's like we're all too dumb to figure
it out on our own.

I'm going to call Stucky's and ask how long this series runs.
I tried earlier, but no one was home. I'll keep trying.

after watching tonight's show, I understand Tyson's frustration with kids today. It's all I can do to get my son to do simple chores around the house and that's living in town!

Hope everything works out with Cal. When was this show filmed, 2009? No way it could've been 2010.

Watched it again last night. I think it was really neat that they showed how the Stucky's still use the Beaver slide. I'm the only one in the house that knew what it was...thanks to Ranchers.

FIL was watchin it with us..and I had to explain to him how it worked.....(before they actually showed how it's done) He was surprised that I knew what I was talkin bout I think LOL

Cal Stucky's accident doesn't look good. They showed someone puttin a dog into the back of a vehicle too....I wondered if the dog was on the back of his truck..or in the cab? Sure hope Cal is ok. And were there any horses in the trailer? Couldn't tell when he pulled out since that lil two horse had solid back doors.

Lilly, you said the credits said Richard Belzer was the narrator on the show? Richard Belzer plays "Det. Munch" on Law and Order S.V.U. I wonder if its the same guy.

Jersey Lilly, the trailer was filled with hay that Cal was taking to
the annual fair in Deer Lodge. The dogs were on the back of the
pickup when he pulled out of the ranch.

I just watched it today. The inside of that pickup gave me
the shivvers. Makes you wonder how he got out of that alive.

I know that he was life-flighted to the hospital and then
transferred to a hospital in Washington state.

A benefit team roping was held for him and it brought in $67,000
and there was a fund set up at a bank in Helena.

I did find this online:

Cal Stucky of Sage Mountain Outfitters was airlifted to a hospital after a head-on crash just north of Avon August 12th. He is being treated at a Seattle hospital for injuries incurred in the accident. Cal was driving his truck and hauling a horse trailer filled with hay and tackle, when the driver traveling in the opposite direction drove into his lane. The driver of the other truck had fallen asleep and drove into the wrong lane.

Cal was first airlifted to St. Patrick's Hospital in Missoula, and then taken by air to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. A nurse there confirmed that Cal was being treated in intensive care Thursday afternoon, but couldn't release his condition citing privacy law.

A fund named the Cal Stucky Assistance Fund has been set up at US Bank in Helena to help defray Stucky's medical costs.

The bank is at 302 N. Last Chance Gulch Helena, Montana 406-447-5215

Thanks so much Faster horses for findin that....even tho we don't know them....it's nice to know that there are folks out there willin to help a fella in need.

I still say I like the Stucky outfit the best outta these three ranches. Nothin against the other two...I just like the way they do things better.

They are a pretty happy bunch, great family and they do things the
cowboy way, pretty much.

I'm glad Scott Hughes finally laughed a little. He looks so tense.

And those kids at the Galt ranch, I'd have run
them off too. They sure made a mess getting that pickup stuck...
only I'd have run them off for not feeding the horses--they'd
never have had a chance to get stuck with anything.

Cals wife, Renee, was always so pretty. Did you notice her? She was sitting with him
when their daughter was roping. There was a younger girl
sitting between them. Renee is blond (really blonde) and she
was wearing sunglasses. I was glad the producers brought Cal and
his family into the story more than they had. I thought this segment
was the best one yet. I hope city people are watching it.

When "Tucker" commented on Scott's wifes "good job" of drivin the swather. I told Mr Lilly....."That's the nicest thing I've heard that man say so far" And yes..it was nice to see Scott smile. He seems wayyyyy tooo tense. And the way they are making it look...it's all caused by his dad Tucker. It probably isn't that way at all...but that's how the makers are makin it look to me.
I've wondered tho...because he calls him Tucker...and not dad.

Latest posts