• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Leachman?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

eatbeef

Reaction score
Anybody use Leachman of Colorado genetics? I am going to AI some heifers and have a neighbor that is a rep for Leachman's and doing the AI'ing just seeing if anybody had any experience with there bulls.

Leachmans has a bull sale in Loma CO. I know one guy that has bought three bulls there. They say the bulls pass a semen test. This guy has had them redone after he has purchased them. The bulls all failed the breeding examine. Leachmans made it right but I wasn't impressed with the bulls.

I got a sale catalog from them. Got my name somewhere. Am I understanding that his $profit figures come from his own made up system?

We have used some of the Leachman of CO Bulls for several years and are satisfied with them.

Not sure what you mean about the $profit system. Guess there are quite a few other breeders using/promoting that system, aren't there? Wherever it originated, there seems to be something to it, IMO. Guess no one is forced to use their bulls, or understand or believe in the profit system.

We will be going to the sale, and the seminar preceding it. I've not gone when others in the family did in previous years, but understand the meeting is very worthwhile.

mrj

mrj said:
We have used some of the Leachman of CO Bulls for several years and are satisfied with them.

Not sure what you mean about the $profit system. Guess there are quite a few other breeders using/promoting that system, aren't there? Wherever it originated, there seems to be something to it, IMO. Guess no one is forced to use their bulls, or understand or believe in the profit system.

We will be going to the sale, and the seminar preceding it. I've not gone when others in the family did in previous years, but understand the meeting is very worthwhile.

mrj

This was red angus part of the sale. He shows all the epd's and all other info. Then he has $ranch $feed or something and $profit I think. I have never seen anything else like it and wasn't criticizing as I know nothing of the outfit just curious of where those numbers come from. His own figures or something else I have not heard of.

Maybe I did sound a little abrupt. There has been quite a bit of criticism of successful bull sales and breeders in several places lately. It isn't always totally reasonable, and smacks of some envy, maybe.

Anyway, my point was intended to be that the $profit concept seems to be quite new and may not be well understood, certainly I don't know much about it, but what I do know makes some sense. I want to learn more, and hope to do so at the sale.

mrj

Yes they have a private company do there own set of epds and dollar values which I think is real fishy. I am not real happy with a few other things, for instance some of there bulls aren't even registered and they publish no actual weights on any bulls and tell you when you call that you don't really need them just use epds, which is bullshit.

But I booked a friend to breed 100 heifers and he is a leachman rep so that's why I am asking. The more I find out about there scheme the more I don't like it. Pry won't happen again but I am not backing out on my word this late in the game. I am planning on using Testify, a Simangus, on my blacks and Visionary an Angus, on my baldies and blaze faces.

mrj said:
Maybe I did sound a little abrupt. There has been quite a bit of criticism of successful bull sales and breeders in several places lately. It isn't always totally reasonable, and smacks of some envy, maybe.

Anyway, my point was intended to be that the $profit concept seems to be quite new and may not be well understood, certainly I don't know much about it, but what I do know makes some sense. I want to learn more, and hope to do so at the sale.

mrj

I don't understand what the point of the seminar and their own numbers is. The breed associations aren't good enough??? I say cut the bullshit and let the bulls do the talking.

I have been to a meeting for our local rep and I will probably go again, but not to buy a bull or listen to them preach, but for the open bar. Lol.

Angus 62 said:
Just don't drink the Kool-Aid :D

Is Keeney Kool-Aid better than Kolorado Kool-Aid?

I'm awful thirsty and I only wanna drink the best Kool-Aid available.

eatbeef said:
Yes they have a private company do there own set of epds and dollar values which I think is real fishy.
...and the breed association epds aren't fishy? When the phizer dna data doesn't correlate well with the associations epd's (ones with high accurace) the breed associations "incorporate" the dna data to ad accuracy to their epd's ???? hogwash. It's all salesmanship from the AAA or leachman. What's the difference?

redrobin said:
eatbeef said:
Yes they have a private company do there own set of epds and dollar values which I think is real fishy.
...and the breed association epds aren't fishy? When the phizer dna data doesn't correlate well with the associations epd's (ones with high accurace) the breed associations "incorporate" the dna data to ad accuracy to their epd's ???? hogwash. It's all salesmanship from the AAA or leachman. What's the difference?

To my understanding the DNA tests are incorporated too all epds, no matter what the accuracy. It may move the epds up or down, I have seen both. And yes it increases accuracy. The more that is known the more accurate you can be. It is a tool just like ultrasound data to make epds more accurate, whether it raises or lowers the epds.

Hereford76 said:
nortexsook said:
Angus 62 said:
Just don't drink the Kool-Aid :D

Is Keeney Kool-Aid better than Kolorado Kool-Aid?

I'm awful thirsty and I only wanna drink the best Kool-Aid available.

I woulda think that primo brand woulda been a quencher.

I will stick with black velvet. Fits my budget.

Latest posts