• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Left or Right?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Left or Right ??

I have often wondered why it is that Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left." By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible:

" The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left ."
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
Thus sayeth the Lord. Amen

Can't get any simpler than that.
-----------------------------------------
(This was an email sent to me). FWIW

glad to see you now think Jesus was a republican....that has to be the stupidest thing on this board now.

once again, the right vs. left is done to fool idiots like yourself. it is not real.

both sides are owned by wall street, special interests, and banks. they do not give a **** about you.

Faster horses said:
Left or Right ??

I have often wondered why it is that Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left." By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible:

" The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left ."

:D

Faster horses said:
Left or Right ??

When you look into the deeper meaning of what was actually meant, this becomes less about the current political verbage and back to the real meaning:

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

A wise man's heart is at his right hand,.... This is not designed to express the direct position and situation of the heart of man, wise or foolish, which is the same in both; and which, according to anatomists, is in the middle of the body, inclining to the left side; but the understanding and wisdom of men, as Aben Ezra observes; which, with a wise man, is ready a hand to direct and assist him in any affair; and which under the influence of it, he goes about with great readiness and dexterity, and performs it with great ease and facility, without sinister ends and selfish views; it inclines him to pursue the true way to honour, heaven, and happiness, which lies to the right; to seek things that are above, at the right hand of God; and, in all, his honour and glory;

but a fool's heart is at his left; he is at a loss for wisdom and understanding to direct him, when he has an affair of any moment upon his hand; which he goes about in an awkward manner, as left handed persons do, and has sinister ends in what he does; and he is to every good work reprobate and unfit, and seeks earth and earthly things, which lie to the left, and in all himself. The Targum is,

"the heart of a wise man is to get the law, which was given by the right hand of the Lord; and the heart of a fool to get the goods of gold and silver:''

so Jarchi,

"his wisdom is ready to incline him (the wise man) to the right hand way for his good; but the heart of a fool to pervert him from it.''

The ancients (o) used to call things wise and prudent the right hand and things foolish the left hand.

(o) Suidas in voce

The right in this case is the principles of the law and the left is the world's golden rule of he who has the gold rules.

Just to remind you, Jesus, when pressed, said the law could be summarized by two main laws. The first was to love God with all your heart, mind and soul and the second was the golden rule of religion of which flows all righteous laws: Love thy neighbor as thyself. All other laws flow from this, Jesus said.

I think we can get really mixed up on this verse if we don't have a deeper understanding. Of course that is the devil's business to trick us all into that shallow but wrong understanding.

Just sayin'.

Tex

Latest posts