• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Let the Games Begin!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
This morning the first heifer calved :D .

Looking good... coming out right, and the feet aren't too big :wink: .
Calving2009006.jpg

"while visions of afterbirth danced in his head..." :roll: . Between afterbirth and calf manure, it really doesn't get much better for a ranch dog :lol: .
Calving2009003.jpg

Very vigorous heifer calf... I hope the rest go this easily :wink: .
Calving2009014.jpg

Suppose to snow tonite, so I left them in the barn. The pasture they'll go into has a lot of great protection, so usually I could turn them out tomorrow, but since they are the only pair, I'll keep them around the corrals until they have company. With the looks of things, they won't wait very long. I'd say the Lutalyse worked :D .
Calving2009018.jpg

Looks like a good mama. Good luck on the rest. :)

How did you syncronize your heifers? I remember you posted about it, but have forgotten.

p.s. Memory loss is the first sign of....of....of....I forget what, now. :cry:

Nice looking pair and the building looks real nice also good luck with calveing.We've got 4 so far but were not due until March 10th other than the bull over the fence calves. :wink:

It's all down hill once you discover the first few are healthy and vigorous. Have a good season. :)

Looks like your off to a busy start..we too have had a good begining...lets hope this little front that is coming through will not be a problem...Good luck!

Triangle Bar said:
How did you syncronize your heifers? I remember you posted about it, but have forgotten.

I gave them a single shot of Lutalyse the day I turned bulls in with them, nothing else.

I just had a cow calve... they seem to be coming early, but are full-term, vigorous babies. Turned the bulls out 5/16 with heifers and 5/18 with cows. Is anyone else starting a little earlier than expected?

WyomingRancher said:
I gave them a single shot of Lutalyse the day I turned bulls in with them, nothing else.

I just had a cow calve... they seem to be coming early, but are full-term, vigorous babies. Turned the bulls out 5/16 with heifers and 5/18 with cows. Is anyone else starting a little earlier than expected?

Good looking pair. Congratulations!!

Nothing here yet, so far they are still holding out on me, but every day there are more and more showing. The heifers have about 7 days to go, and the cows are not due til about Mar 1 so I don't expect anything from them quite yet.

Triangle Bar said:
Looks like a good mama. Good luck on the rest. :)

p.s. Memory loss is the first sign of....of....of....I forget what, now. :cry:

Senility! . . . or . . . dementia, also known as Alzheimer's Disease (Old Timer's Disease :???: :? )

DOC HARRIS

OldDog/NewTricks said:
Nice Clean looking Barn.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, it's pretty clean for the first one! I probably won't be posting pictures of it in April :) . The trick is a lot of straw :wink: . Hopefully not too many will have to go through the barn, but working alone, it's sometimes easier/safer to have them confined.

Looks good. Mine do not get that nice barn or pen wondering if you have been in the sheep business at one time. Some are comming early here a getting up an going on their own. This weeks calves were real small and we had come 10 days early. Got lucky had some real good mothers on the early ones one was just so weak but is up now and she is bring him up.
One of the ones that put me in the poor house was to calve Jan 5th still waiting.. waited so long hoping it just comes out dead or alive. Its not uncomon for a purshcased reg heifer to never have a calve we are told at the sale a good share of those may never got AI bred in the first place.
Our vet is also in the cattle business and his wife told me they are having a weird year. I am assuming everybodys cattle. Several cows in the neighbor tryed to calf during the ice storm but just would not lay down in the ice and shell one out those two days everyone had some issues. since then is been great knock on wood (or plastic key board)

Hay Feeder said:
Looks good. Mine do not get that nice barn or pen wondering if you have been in the sheep business at one time. Some are comming early here a getting up an going on their own. This weeks calves were real small and we had come 10 days early. Got lucky had some real good mothers on the early ones one was just so weak but is up now and she is bring him up.
One of the ones that put me in the poor house was to calve Jan 5th still waiting.. waited so long hoping it just comes out dead or alive. Its not uncomon for a purshcased reg heifer to never have a calve we are told at the sale a good share of those may never got AI bred in the first place.
Our vet is also in the cattle business and his wife told me they are having a weird year. I am assuming everybodys cattle. Several cows in the neighbor tryed to calf during the ice storm but just would not lay down in the ice and shell one out those two days everyone had some issues. since then is been great knock on wood (or plastic key board)

what exactly do you mean by these 2 statements?

I had posted to this author about some heifers that I had bought last fall on another post thats why it is hard to understand.
The heifers only started spring up this week and all missed their AI dates.
If no one told me when they were to calve I would of not thought anything about it. Sometimes these Reg sales get so busy pumping up their cattle the make those so called mistakes by printing the cattle have been AI bred
to get more bidding ..sometimes we wonder if the cows ever made it to the AI chute...
Sorry I get typing like I am talking to that person rather than to everyone on the world wide web.

Hay Feeder said:
I had posted to this author about some heifers that I had bought last fall on another post thats why it is hard to understand.
The heifers only started spring up this week and all missed their AI dates.
If no one told me when they were to calve I would of not thought anything about it. Sometimes these Reg sales get so busy pumping up their cattle the make those so called mistakes by printing the cattle have been AI bred
to get more bidding ..sometimes we wonder if the cows ever made it to the AI chute...
Sorry I get typing like I am talking to that person rather than to everyone on the world wide web.

90% of reg cattle, that sell as anything other than donors or showcattle ,are AI'ed then turned out with a ' cover bull' for a period of time in Pasture Exposure.

The seller should have this in the catalog, in a supplement for the catalog or told you and it should even be listed on the reg paper you got the PE dates, etc.

Latest posts