• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Licking snow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

canadian angus

Reaction score
We have done swath grazing since 94, first in the area, so we were living on the edge. Licking and eating snow is what they do.

Oct. 20 we get a foot of wet snow and much more since.

Last Thursday get a call cattle broke through ice on slough. After some tense moments, seeing one heifer drown and another on two lariots tied together and can't get her out, back tractor and shedder in to pull and drop it through. My what a day, phone local shop and his two sons and a neighbor brought 100 feet of rope and got her out. Rolled her into bucket, lifted her and rolled the very cold heifer into our cattle trailor and hauled her home. After this we went back to find two more heifers in water but they did get out on their own.

As we moved them to a new field, we discover half of them were in the drink that day.

Lucky we only lost one of sixty bred heifers.

Point of interest is they have been on that field for thirty days and last Thursday was the first time they did this!

CA

sounds like not enough water to me . My young cows have to travel a mile in the open to get water in the winter . If the wind blows & its real cold they will stay put & lick snow . As soon as the wind quits they are home for water .

I would say not enough water to.The snow was pretty crusted over,at least around here.Last thursday was pretty cold to,not so much the temp but that wind was a b*tch.Glad you only lost one heifer,could have been a lot worse

Latest posts