• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Life is Good

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
The shop is finally closed in as of today, Can start insulation and sheeting the inside now.

Last bull showed up on his own. No 4 wheelers, dogs, livestock or broken down cowboys were injured in this voluntary gather. :lol:

Replacements are staying healthy, the cheap calves we are putting in are doing great and the cows are still on grass.

The wood shed is nearly full. Beef and lamb yet to hang up and the freezer will be the same.

His Blessings never end.

WW 33 started a few weeks ago with the trapper we use taking out a pack of 5. Mommy and Daddy were wearing radio collars that MOE put on 2 years ago about 10 miles south of the ranch. They have been quietly monitoring this pack eat beef without saying anything.

The runny stuff is about to hit the fan over here.

gcreekrch said:
WW 33 started a few weeks ago with the trapper we use taking out a pack of 5. Mommy and Daddy were wearing radio collars that MOE put on 2 years ago about 10 miles south of the ranch. They have been quietly monitoring this pack eat beef without saying anything.

The runny stuff is about to hit the fan over here.

:shock:

That makes me so mad I can't even come up with anything to say :!:

we had a deal like that here a few years back . Neighbors calves were being ate up & the federal boys said it was coyotes not wolves . When all the covers were pulled back it was a collared wolf that had been released 3 miles from this guys ranch 2 years ago & had been in the area grazzin on livestock all the while the DNR checked him with a plain once a week .
AND no one ever said a word about him being here .We named him sparky . The federal boys came & trapped for 3 weeks , Caught Sparkies whole family but not him . Seems his experience with leg irons taught him a lot about trapping ........Seems like we should have some rights too at least as many as a wolf . The DNR lost what little ground they had with local cattleman over this deal .

Great example of the strange mentality of wildlife management, at least on our side of the border:

Wainwright Military Base - CFB Wainwright covers 235sq. miles, of which a large portion is bush pasture for air force training, and part of that is leased to a local co-op for community pasture. As you can imagine a big block of land like that ends up housing alot of wildlife. When elk started coming up the Battle River a few years ago they flourished in the "Park Pasture". No hunting pressure, no predators.

Farmers complained about crop/fence damage until a small number of tags and a short season hunt were opened in the park and surrounding areas. It didn't make a dent and the elk herd has ballooned with splinter herds moving out into farmland areas and it's quite common to see them in the Hardisty area like deer standing in fields and pastures in broad daylight.

Surprise, surprise, wolves are spotted in the area a few years back. The first 2 I know of being shot in the area both had ID tags clipped into their nose. There was no radio device, just a small piece of braided cable with a stainless tag on it running through their nose.

So government was ok with a burgeoning elk population, and warned farmers not to shoot them. If they damage your crops you're supposed to fence off your land with game fence at your cost.

Then they're fine with wolves showing up, or being introduced, and you can't shoot them either. If wolves could be trained to eat only elk and deer I'd be a wolf fan, but it just doesn't work that way.

As with most things political, farmers and ranchers are supposed to shut up and bear the cost.

The wolf thing is just irritating. But I'm glad things are going so well for you and Debbie!

Latest posts