• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Linear Measurements

Help Support Ranchers.net:

young rancher

Reaction score
Are any breeders are using linear measurement in breeding selection or when selling their breeding stock? Do you have any advice for a beginning rancher? Is it reliable by itself or better used with EPDs?

Everything is a "TOOL" the more tools you can use the better. I can't remember who it was that posted on here about helping somebody sort off some cows that didn't fit the measurement. The guy was lamenting that they were his best cows. :?
Cows that fit their environment are the best cows. :D

By the way which border is your border town on?

I think linear measurement or objective type scoring has definite merit in context with everything else. I don't think it replaces EPD, but can be used pretty well in conjunction with them, and a good dose of common sense. There are cows that may type score the same, but have very different genetic merit (EPD profiles). If I was starting out in the seedstock business I would probably take a look at ultrasound as well, as a way to 1. differentiate your program and 2. give a fuller picture of your cowherd going forward.
If funds were limited, I would also probably focus on type scoring/scanning heifers before I worried about bulls.
If SK bordertown is Lloyd and not Big Muddy, then Brady Wobeser does type scoring. I think a Ledoen from Speedy Creek also did a bunch several years ago.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Everything is a "TOOL" the more tools you can use the better. I can't remember who it was that posted on here about helping somebody sort off some cows that didn't fit the measurement. The guy was lamenting that they were his best cows. :?
Cows that fit their environment are the best cows. :D

Yep every piece of info is a tool- and you have to figure out which to put the most importance too...
But probably the best is to see how cattle from your own type enviroment- that also fit your management practices- already do- and not trying to reinvent the wheel chasing the commotion and emotion of some of the promotions.....

A frioend and I partnered on a bull to sample a breed a couple years back. He happened to be the highest linear measuring bull in the sale which didn't mean anything to us. He settled one cow-the breeder never ever phoned to ask us about him-so we culled him and his purveyor. I don't think it is much of a selection tool but just a personal opinion. Run them like you run them and let the chips fall where they may seems to work best.

We've done it, and the bulls that score the highest are always the ones that we expect to. We've had some we didn't really like the look of that also scored high, which means you still have to use your eye. Linear measurement is a great ool to use as others stated, but you must take into account many factors and decide with a balanced goal, and an open mind.

Brady Wobeser that RSL mentioned does our measuring.

I was through Wobeser's herd a few years ago with Dennis. They had just started measuring cattle and he was showing me the "elite" cows. I finally asked how many of those type cows they needed as there were still lots of that type of cattle in the Chilcotin at that time. I'm not sure if he believed me. :D

I know Dennis will be reading this as I talked to him yesterday. The Wobeser's are first rate people.
I'm still not sure that our new member is not Brady with a trick question.

Welcome, young rancher. :D

Thank you. Bordertown is LLoydminster. I know about the Wobesers and their connection with Gerlad Fry. I have heard Brady speak in college, which intrigued me to look into it more.

Stop by if you are ever traveling through south of Lloyd (south and west).

Latest posts