• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

***List Updates 01 March 06***

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BBJ said:
Since you are obviously the all knowing "cowboys wife" and I, as you have assumed, have so little experience in the life of being a cowboy, please learn me up real good as to WHY cowboys move around so much. :???:
No I wasn't considering it a boast it was more along the lines of "assuming" he wasn't too good.

I've been around cattle all my life and worked on a few ranches only as day help. Never claimed to be a cowboy, :cboy: Dad and grandpa kept us busy enough at our place. For the most part my dad, brother and I helped out other ranches when they needed it, kind of a neighborly(sp?) type thing and no matter what it was we were doing, the hand you worked with or around always told you how good he was :cowboy: and how he ran the show :hat: and this operation has never been this good before he got there. :lol2: He always seemed to be the top hand on the place.. Never quite understood that, well not that it applies here just my limited experience talking, and given what you know I obviously have limited knowledge. Thanks for setting me straight on that one. :lol: :nod:

As you stated, "I really don't have a dog in this fight" but cowboys in general have always been known to move around a lot. Many think that it is good because you get to see how many other people deal with certain problems. There might just be 5 or 6 or even more, good ways to deal with any one problem that arises in the day to day work on a ranch. The more you learn, the easier it is to figure out a way to solve a problem, whether it be a cranky cow, a watergap that needs repaired or even the easiest way to fix a windmill or water tank. Moving around a lot doesn't mean someone isn't necessarily a good hand. It means he's got itchy feet!
There is a wonderful poem out there by Joel Nelson about "Homegaurds and Movers" in the cowboy lifestyle where he points out that the homegaurd is a mover who finally quit moving! :wink:
By the way, I've never met the man in question or even know his name, but I'll bet he knows several good ways to fix about any problem that comes up.

As for working with people who think they are the best in the world, why I've been around a few of them too and they usually have to brag on themselves as nobody else is going too! :wink:

As Georgie Sicking said an good old hand who she admired, told her years ago, "A poor hand is in the way all of the time and a good hand is only in the way, once in awhile".

Georgie said she tried to only be in the way, once in awhile, after that! :wink:

edited to add: oops, I didn't realize jinglebob had replied before I posted this. :wink:
--=--=--=--=--=--

:???:
I guess I'm not entirely sure what crawled up your backside and died, but I never claimed to be an expert on much of anything. I simply pointed out that "hired man" is a term that is still widely use. I also pointed out that cowboys tend to move fairly often. Good thing? Bad thing? Beats me. Just how it seems to work.

Helping out the neighbors is absolutely nothing like being the hired help. Anyone who has been there knows precisely what I'm talking about, I'll bet. :)
When your employer is also your landlord, and likely your nearest neighbor... well that's just a challenging situation to be in. Good help, bad help. It doesn't matter.
But I will mention he's never been fired, has always moved up in benefits and pay, was running a place by the time he was 29 years old and has two guys who call him now and again trying to convince him to come run their ranches.
In fact, where we're currently at is actually the second job he's had with this employer. He was their herd manager on a buffalo ranch in SD, quit them (after getting fed up with their GM up there) and the main office called and offered him this management job a few months later.

But like I said, the lesser half is humble. It's unlikely you'd ever hear him brag about much of anything.
For that matter, most of the guys I've known don't brag on much of anything. They tend to tell you what sorry ropers they are, all the times they've been dumped off a horse, the cows that run them over, etc, etc... :lol:
It doesn't usually take long to figure out what a truly "sorry" hand they actually are, either. :wink:

btw, does this mean he can't count on your PayPal donation?

theHiredMansWife said:
Soapweed said:
theHiredMansWife said:
you always manage to put your husband down by calling him "your lesser half". He's probably a pretty good guy, and doesn't necessarily deserve your slams.

He thinks it's funny. He's secure in the knowledge that he's my best friend, but pointed out one day that if I'm his better half, he must be my lesser half.
It's actually his joke, not mine. I just borrow it. :lol:

If you wondered, why didn't you just ask instead of making assumptions? :???:

-----------------

It might be a "joke" to the two of you, but for the rest of us not being "in" on your private joke, it has always seemed like a put down to your husband. :? :???:

I repeat:

If you wondered, why didn't you just ask instead of making assumptions? :???:

BTW, this isn't the first time someone on a message board has told me how "mean" I am to my husband because of that nick name.

Okay, you admit that this isn't the first time people have told you how "mean" you are to your husband because of that nick-name. Yet you think everyone should just instinctively "know" that it is a private joke between you and your husband. And then you have the audacity to think "if we wondered, why didn't we just ask instead of making assumptions?"

I try to be a logical realistic person. To me, if something walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it IS a duck until proven to be something else. You were showing disrespect to your better half by calling him your "lesser half". Accordingly, I have "read" you as being that type of person. You still have to prove to me that you are not a duck, but a beautiful graceful swan instead. I'll believe it when I see it.

Your opinion of yourself is that you are a very humble caring person. You are so proud of this attribute, that to me at least, you come across as very proud and haughty of the fact that you are so caring and compassionate.

Your opinion of yourself is that you are a very humble caring person.
It is? Good thing i have you, a virtual stranger, to tell me these things! I never would have guessed that's what I thought

Yet you think everyone should just instinctively "know"

Actually, I've never really understood why anyone cares.

Isn't it you that calls your wife Peach Blossom? Boy, that's the name for a Golden retriever. Do you pat her on the head, too?

But instead I give you the benefit of the doubt that that's not how you intend it and it seems to work in your family. Ie, it's
really none of my business... Do you see the parallel?

You still have to prove to me

Truth be told, it's never crossed my mind that you're the type of person I would want to prove anything to. :?

Am I too late? Please, please add me to the list!! First, last, in the middle, no preference.

$$ said:
Am I too late? Please, please add me to the list!! First, last, in the middle, no preference.

Glad you have dollars, but we also hope you have some "sense" to be put on this illustrious list. :wink:

P.S. Dollars and Sense is not evil. Rather it is the love of Dollars and the lack of Sense that makes an evil combination. :???: :? :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
Glad you have dollars, but we also hope you have some "sense" to be put on this illustrious list. :wink:

P.S. Dollars and Sense is not evil. Rather it is the love of Dollars and the lack of Sense that makes an evil combination. :???: :? :wink: :)

Well, I think this smiley is a good representation of a talk with stevec:

wall_nut.gif

Does that qualify me?

$$ said:
Soapweed said:

Well, I think this smiley is a good representation of a talk with stevec:

wall_nut.gif

Does that qualify me?

You qualified with flying colors. Welcome to the List. :wink: :)

BBJ...gotchu.

$$...gotchu.

Thanks for your interest. :D

As a side note...

Moneybags ($$), I have to agree with Soapweed...that headbanging smilie qualifies you to make the list without a background check. :lol:

I've never heard of a dog named Peach Blosom. Sorry that dog won't hunt. You were being mean and hateful. Humble and caring my butt. Goes to show what caliber you are. Bottom line is: You mess with rancher net family you will deal with me and a bunch more. :mad:

theHiredMansWife said:
BTW, when I showed him this post, my the lesser half wanted to say he's very touched by all the concern and will be taking donations via PayPal for his therapy.
:( Guess that means you've done gone and ruined him. Now he's a liberal, too. Wanting somebody else to pay his way... :lol:

***This post contains material intended to be of a humorous nature only. No ridicule is either expressed or implied. It was not the intent of this poster to put the panties (if any) of any reader (if any) into a wad(s) (if any). The reader assumes full responsibility for any touchy/feely liberal manifestations incurred by said reader. This concludes this latest disclaimer.

katrina said:
I've never heard of a dog named Peach Blosom. Sorry that dog won't hunt. You were being mean and hateful. Humble and caring my butt. Goes to show what caliber you are.
I agree with you 100%, katrina. I think it is one of the sweetest terms of endearment that I have ever heard. Even though I've never had the honor and privilege to meet her, the beauty and resilience of a Peach Blossom probably describes Soapweed's better half to a T.

katrina said:
I've never heard of a dog named Peach Blosom. Sorry that dog won't hunt. You were being mean and hateful. Humble and caring my butt. Goes to show what caliber you are. Bottom line is: You mess with rancher net family you will deal with me and a bunch more. :mad:

YUP!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
I have sat back, quietly (at least here on the boards, but not so much to poor cowboyup--who has had to listen to my rantings) and read HMW's braggings on her wonderful hubby....well, HMW---we ALL think our spouses are "the best", yet we do not feel the need to toot our own horns....our actions speak for themselves!! My hubby was born and raised on a ranch (the majority of it, 38 years, on this one)...he has worked other ranches in his 40 years of life and ALSO never been fired!!! But, 12 or so ranches is not much to brag about!! Yes, cowboys move around, but what we have found in our experience is that most move on because they think cowboying means spending 8 hours a day on horseback, chasing the herd and do not realize that today's ranching encompasses so much more...haying, irrigating, fixing fence (many times, not on horseback), mucking out stalls, picking rock out of the fields, maintaining equipment, etc!!!! Whewwwww.....not I feel better!! :wink:

Just for the sake of the argument, I call my wife "peet swee" which is a play on words, from our courting days, on the word "seetpea". :) She seems to like it.

Oh, and I have met "peach blossom" and think it is a very apt nickname as she is as sweet as a "peach" and pretty as a "blossom".

But if someone wants to call their spouse, "their lesser half", as a joke, I sure don't mind. But I can see where someone could construe it as being mean or nasty, also. Guess we should ask before we make assumptions. :shock: :wink:

I respect my wife and she knows it, but I sure tease her and pick on her alot. But then I usually only tease and pick on those I like and feel can give it right back. If I don't care for someone, I am reeaall polite and careful as I don't want them to have any excuse to get angry at me.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Jinglebob said:
Just for the sake of the argument, I call my wife "peet swee" which is a play on words, from our courting days, on the word "seetpea". :) She seems to like it.

Oh, and I have met "peach blossom" and think it is a very apt nickname as she is as sweet as a "peach" and pretty as a "blossom".

But if someone wants to call their spouse, "their lesser half", as a joke, I sure don't mind. But I can see where someone could construe it as being mean or nasty, also. Guess we should ask before we make assumptions. :shock: :wink:

I respect my wife and she knows it, but I sure tease her and pick on her alot. But then I usually only tease and pick on those I like and feel can give it right back. If I don't care for someone, I am reeaall polite and careful as I don't want them to have any excuse to get angry at me.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

WELL SAID, JB!!!! :D :D :D
A true gentleman!

read HMW's braggings on her wonderful hubby....well, HMW---we ALL think our spouses are "the best"

Oh good grief. :roll:

In the same page I'm blasted for thinking too little of my husband and thinking too highly.
You guys need to make up your minds. :lol:
If you'll look at BBJ's post, wife, you'll see why I posted all of my "braggings".
No I wasn't considering it a boast it was more along the lines of "assuming" he wasn't too good.

So far as Peach Blossom, did you guys completely skip over the part where I said:
But instead I give you the benefit of the doubt that that's not how you intend it and it seems to work in your family. Ie, it's really none of my business... Do you see the parallel?

I don't know the woman. I don't know their relationship. I certainly have nothing against her.

More importantly, it would never cross my mind to offered unwanted advice, suggestions or complaints about someone else's relationships via a forum.

but I sure tease her and pick on her alot

apparently we have similar philosophys in our marriages, jinglebob. :)

BTW, the fact that I have been harrassed for both thinking too highly and thinking too little of someone you people don't even know, makes me think I'm just the latest target for the board bullies.

*yawn*

I'm done with this thread. If anyone truly has something of value to say, please feel free to PM me. :)

Well, guess what it boils down to is that you liberals can all hang together and we conservatives will do the same. I do believe that is where the divisiveness has come about to start with.

You liberals all have a great afternoon, and we of the Republican Redneck Rebellion will do the same. Here's to ya. Cheers. :wink: :)

Latest posts