• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

livestock dead stock...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
getting cows and calves up to work calves tomorrow, the dang cows busted into the bottom stack yard, one cow dead between rows of round bales. Looks easier to spend a couple days moving bales to another stack yard then try and fix this mess this time of year.

We had that happen last year lost one cow. This year the bales are stacked farther apart. We did have about 30 pairs that kept climbing thru the fence this past week now its a 6 barb fence and post's are 9' apart. I could have ran electric fence but being I'm not there every day a good woven wire or 6 barb does the trick with no more tedious maintenance. I really don't like electric fence period.

gcreekrch said:
We are replacing two of our main yards with 6 log snake fence. Should be good for another 30 - 40 years.

You gonna use pine for that? What do you grow there for coniferous?

burnt said:
gcreekrch said:
We are replacing two of our main yards with 6 log snake fence. Should be good for another 30 - 40 years.

You gonna use pine for that? What do you grow there for coniferous?

All pine for fence logs. Not sure how long these bug kill logs will last. We are putting a green log on top.

Coniferous....... aspen, willow, arctic birch and a few cottonwood showing up.

Those are deciduous species Dave. Conifers are the pines, larch, spruce and such. Our country is 90% pine, little larch and fir. Very few aspen, cottonwood & willow other than along the creeks and rivers. I'd like to help with that snake fence to see how it's done, if you didn't live a thousand miles from nowhere that is. ;-)

Latest posts