• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

looking for help in Western South Dakota

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am looking for help to find a place ion Western South Dakota to Deer hunt. I know that this is a huge shot in the dark, but I am desperate to find a place to go, (preferebly private because my dad has limmited amount of ability to walk alot) due to the fact of his age, weight and overall health conditions.
I myself work for a large grocery store chain in Watertown and my dad is a retired Asst. Chief of police for 27 years, we are very seroius sportsman. We are non drinkers and take relationships between sportsman and landowners very, very, seriously!
We are not looking for the opening weekend of the west river deer season, we prefer to hunt after everyone has gone during the week.
I wouldn't be doing this except for the fact of the ranch that we were hunting out in Perkins county has been sold and the new owners are not sure what they are going to do with it yet. So I am preparing for the worst case senario and starting to find another "friendship"with another ranch that will let my dad and I on. (I pray) If anyone can find it in their hearts to give dad and I a chance please drop me a line so that we get get aquainted better. "I have always said to my dad there are alot of good people out west". Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!
Darrin Christensen and Jim Christensen

sticks and strings said:
cummon somebody talk to me!
please? :???:

I'll talk to you- but I'm not from western SD :lol: ...Come a few hundred miles further northwest and you can find thousands of acres of public land to hunt on- and quite a few of these still have areas with a lot of trails you can drive and pickup hunt on...

Thanks for responding to me!
I can understand that people in this day and age that they are fairly leerey about new person asking for what I am asking for.
The thing that people don't understand is that my family is all in law enforcement and I would never do anything to endanger something as precious as permission.
I just like to talk to people I find them facinating, that is why I have the job I do, working with the public is the best job anyone can have!
Having married the woman that I did I take nothing for granted!
She has Lupus, a rare disease with a high mortality rate.
any how enough of the rambling.
What do you do for a living?

What do you do for a living?

Ranch-cows and horses, farm-hay and wheat, retired Sheriff, part time brand inspector, part time city and county Judge, fulltime grandpa.....

My dad ran for sherrif for codington county, won the primary,lost in the general election so he hung it up as law enforcement and now he is like you, fulltime grandpa. I think that my son likes him better than me!
But you know how grandpas are... "softies"
Just about what ever Ethan wants he gets. After dad hung it up in law-enforcement now mom and him take care of the Prarie lakes caring club house. It is like a privately owned Ronald Mc Donalad house. People can stay there when family members are in the hospital and need a place to stay. It is right across the street from the hospital here in town.

Faster horses said:
...and not necessarily in that order, right OT?

Right FH- I just grab whatever hat fits whatever task as I head out the door-- but if it stays as hot as its been, I may have to do something I never do- buy a straw hat :roll: ....Even with our 5AM rainshower I had sweat running off my brow at 9AM as I made fence repairs where the bulls had been fighting.....Got to 94 today....Supposed to be hotter tomorrow :( I'll haul and stack hay early and plan to be in the air conditioning taking my afternoon nap by 1PM.

Sticks & Strings- Good for your Mom and Dad-- You have to keep involved...And I've found that there are all kind of fun jobs or things you can do after you retire if you want to-- but I can think of nothing better than to take care of grandkids- I feel it is kind of a way of paying back my family for the many years when I wasn't there for days at a time because of work....Grandaughter just called to find out if she could come out tomorrow- but not sure which she wants to see worse, Grandpa or her horse :D ....

it never got that hot here today it was about 83 but the wind was blowing like crazy! Sucking what moisture out of the ground we had left.We tried to go fishing today. The fish were really biting until we got there! :x Everone was having trouble getting the walleyes under the 20 inch size limit, all were in the 20-28 inch range! then the front came through about 10am all fish got lock jaw!
Oh well at least dad and I went for a cruise to check it out... you never know! :)

What part of Perkins County did you used to hunt? If you dont remember, who place was sold? I might be able to give you some names or steer you in the right direction. You could also call the game warden in Lemmon, SD.

Latest posts