• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Looking for Machine Shed suggestions

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nebraska Sandhills

Reaction score
I am looking into putting up a machine storage shed with some office space and possibly some living quarters. Would like to make atleast part of the shop space heated. We have a Morton shop right now that is 15 years old and still looks brand new. It is a very well built building, but after pricing a new Morton building I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a cheaper brand of building without sacrificing quality. Also, any ideas on what you wish your shop had or didn't have would be appreciated. We've been planning for quite a while, but are always open to suggestions on design and features.

Thanks in advance.

Our local JD dealer recently built a new facility and their shop area is heated with in floor tubes and the heat is generated with a used oil furnace. It is very comfortable in the winter and when the overhead doors are opened to bring in equipment you hardly notice the cold air that comes in. The heat just keeps rising from the floor. Sure seems like a good deal. I have no idea of the cost of installation though.

Definitely go with floor heat. I'm just finishing a new shop building. It's an all steel Chief building, I didn't want to put that much money in concrete in a pole barn that has wood posts in the ground to rot off.

My son just put up a new 60 X 100 Morton - - - but it was about 30% cheaper than their normal building as they got a " Country Craft" which has the post ( and trusses ) on 10' centers and 2X4 stringers on the walls instead of 2X6.

We only concreted 30 X 60 in one end ( 70 X 60 floor is gravel for equipment storage ) and built one of the nicer ( 12 X 24 ) offices I have been in. My daughter in law decorated it and we have a high speed internet and dish network there so we can do the work there instead of running to the house. We put in a restroon ( changing station of course ) and baseboard heat so that we can keep the pressure washer warm. Heat is turned to 55 F at night then up to 74 F when the baby is playing there while we are in the shop with 3 hough windows between the shop and office so she can see us and we can see her. With 16' sidewalls and heavy construction we can store barrels of oil and most anything else we need above the office.

By using white tarps we can heat only the 30 X 48 ( office out of the 60' width ) easily with used oil or if something is larger the tarps do not restrict us. Fully open most of the time.

We also poured a 25X20 apron outside the shop door with a good slope to it for pressure washing.

The " Country Craft" building still meets the local building codes and still has a full warrenty and have been one of the main buildings going up in this area as they are the cheapest building in the area. The salesman says he has not sold a conventional Morton building in over a year.

If you go with in floor hydronics some around here heat the apron and side walk out front as well. No snow removal ever. Of course use a separate loop and do this only if you have antifreeze in the system. Keep shut off when snow removal is not indicated. A solar wall on the south side could also be incorporated making use of some of that free heat.

Morton buildings have a good reputation. I have never heard of someone putting one up and then regretting it 5 years later.

Latest posts