• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

looking for Montana vacation tips

Help Support Ranchers.net:

C-E

Reaction score
Looks like we will be vacationing in Montana this year. Thinking of staying in the Whitefish area and seeing Glacier National Park. Just gonna see if anyone had tips for good cheap lodging or things to see off the beatin path. We will be driving from Kansas.

Thanks in advance.

Guess I should also mention we have a 4 year old and 15 month old with us. And unfortunately we haven't gotten our passports so going into Canada is out.

Ok if you want to go to Glacier Park go to Hungry Horse. there is a nice place to stay past the stoplight heading towards Glacier on Hwy 2. It is on the right side of the road and has a fairly steep drive way. Decent prices and nice rooms. Sorry i cannot remember the name of the place
we've stayed there a few times. Nice people.

check out the Hungry Horse Dam. that is pretty neat.
the goat lick along Highway 2 between West Glacier and East Glacier.
We always see grizzlies around Many Glaciers.

Pretty much Glacier is a hiking park. Lower St. Mary's Falls was a nice hike, not too long.

Not sure the Mrs. Knew it was a hiking park. Probably not much fun with little ones this young. Might just stop at Yellow Stone.
Thank you very much for the reply and info.

Lot more you can see at Yellowstone without having to do as much walking... If you go to Glacier- go over the "Going to the Sun Highway"- as that is the biggest part of the view without hiking...
This is Glaciers Centennial year- so they do have some activities going on- but not sure what all...

Depending on your route try to take in the Rangerider Museum in Miles City and Custer battlefield near Hardin....If you go thru Yellowstone- Cody has lots to see also.... Problem I've always found with Yellowstone is there are more people there in the summer than most big cities-- and I'm not too much for crowds...

If going to Yellowstone be ready for the crowds.

Forgot to mention. the boat tour at Many Glaciers Lodge, we missed it by 5 minutes, but it sure looked like fun.
The views can't be beat and the drive over Going to the Sun is worth the trip.
Here are some pics, not all that I took some are on a CD somewhere.

304586-R1-06-8_007.jpg

McDonald Lake

304586-R1-02-4_003.jpg

Black Bear on the road wall

304585-R1-14-15A_015.jpg

Logan Pass

304585-R1-18-19A_019.jpg

Logan pass

304584-R1-16-17A_017.jpg

Below Logan Pass

The Grant-Kohrs ranch at Deer Lodge would interest you,
I think. They have restored that historical old ranch and it is a National Historic Site.
It's a good spot for the kids to get out and stretch their legs.
They hold different special events throughout the summer.
Here's a link:

http://www.nps.gov/grko/index.htm

I Luv Hrfrds just reminded me of a few more things-- if you go thru or near Helena and have a chance - take the boat trip thru the Gates of the Mountains (hard to believe water actually found a way thru those mountains)-- there are also some nice tour boat trips of Flathead Lake if you're on the other side of the divide, but they are nothing like those trips thru the Gates of the Mountains... If you like western art-- then the CM Russell Museum in Great Falls is a must see...And if you come back along the Hi-Line the Musuem of the Plains Indian in Browning is pretty good...Been a few years since I was there- but I heard they've added quite a bit more...(But don't spend the night in Browning)..

If you put up dates when you will be in Montana- a guy can give you some heads ups on whats happening....

If you are coming up through Billings on I-90 stop at Custers Last Stand at Crow Agency. You can no longer walk through the markers on the hill side but it's not too bad. They already had the re-enactment though.
One group stole my idea of having a guy wearing a wig and getting "scalped" by the indians. Got a distant cousin that does Custer.
There's Pompey's Pillar outside of Billings that Clark carved his name into.

The Beartooth Highway is an awesome drive. Red Lodge was always a great place to visit.

One suggestion I would make is pick up one of those red Montana Atlas and Gaztteer books. It shows you roads less traveled.

Go to Martinsdale and go through the Bair Family museum. That is an interesting family history there.

If you go to Gates of the Montains you will have to ask to be shown Mann Gulch and ask about the story there.

Like OT said if you can give updates we can get you going to different things. And if you are close enough maybe meet up with some of us on the board too.

Beartooth Pass! OMG. We drove up that thing once, and that was enough for me. I don't handle altitude very well, and you go from zero to 12 thousand in no time flat. :shock: :shock: :shock: If you aren't bothered by thin air and high climbs though, it's quite the drive. It's the highest road in North America.

Southwest of Columbus Montana is the small town of Absarokee. We went whitewater rafting there and it was awesome!

http://www.absarokariver.com/

I think class 3 is as wild as it gets, and even my non-swimmer husband was ready to go back and do it all over again as soon as we were done.

Oh come on, it's not that bad since the State of Montana widened the road. There is one spot, if you know where to look, you can still see the pavement roller that went off the road.
try driving the one lane dirt road on the other side.

You want it really bad? try going over it when it is closed, on a snowmobile and I think the winds were going somewhere around 55-60mph. We went over snow drifts that were 14' high. My snowmobile froze on me, we had to leave it til the next day.

I grew up down there so I know a bit about the "Pass".
You have to admit though the Grasshopper Glacier sure did a neat job forming that valley.

Oh if you drive it in the dark watch out for the moose. I about got one years ago in a car.

Thank you all, the info has been a great help. I knew I could count on Ranchers to the rescue. I think we have found a cabin near Cody, and we are planning a day trip into Montana to the Little Big horn battle field and maybe some other places. I think we will be there August 1-4.

Cool.
Definately hit the Cody Museum. Plan at least a full day there. Just the gun collection alone takes a few hours and that is not reading everything.

Try going through Sunlight Basin. it connects to the Pass. it also will take you to Cooke City and the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Cool.
Definately hit the Cody Museum. Plan at least a full day there. Just the gun collection alone takes a few hours and that is not reading everything.

Try going through Sunlight Basin. it connects to the Pass. it also will take you to Cooke City and the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone.

You keep coming up with ideas I Luv Herfrds and pretty soon I'm going to be wanting to take a vacation... :wink: :p :lol:

But after today just travelling about 20 miles on Highway 2- in car after car of strings of tourist traffic- I think I'll just stay home- work a few cow projects and really vacation... :) I may have to slip down and take in a couple days of the Wolf Point Stampede tho in the next couple of nights..

I believe it is off the HWY 72 in Wyoming that there is a Japanese internment camp.
I remember my Dad pointing to the east of us and telling me that is where the camp was. I think i read a story on it about how some people were trying to restore it.
I know it is north of the Sunlight Basin road turn off.
Maybe ask around Cody somebody might know where it is and if you can visit it. Interesting part of history.

A drive through Wapiti valley towards Yellowstone is nice. Do not stop at the last resort before the park entrance. Trust me on this.

There are boat tours out on Yellowstone Lake. A lot of information about the parks history.

I don't know if Cody is still having the nightly rodeo.

Have fun.

Latest posts