• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

mangey coyotes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

starvin'dog

Reaction score
Seems to be more mangey coyotes around this year again. Found a trodden one in with the yearlings today and another crawling around in the bale yard. This cold snap will bring some a mercifull end.
Do you have mange in the South? Does it eventually kill them or do they run around naked for ever?

I've seen mangey and very stinky coyotes in Mississippi. If there's significant loss of hair I'd have to imagine that up there they'd meet a swift end unless they can find really warm quarters.

here in eastern ks they are big and no mange , i have a blue heeler/catahoula dog that runs out and fights em , they are very thick here i have my rifle with me and im hoping to start thinning em out

Those catahoula hounds are excellent dogs....for all sorts of varmits.

8395814021022L.JPG

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:
Denny said:
Mange is a wonderful thing for wolves to get. :evil:

Wonder how thick they have to get before mange hits them hard enough to do some good.

If they got it you would think since they run in pack it might spread through the pack pretty good.

It is my understanding that mange is Mother Nature's way of thinning a population when it gets too thick. I'm not sure that livestock and wildlife populations could handle wolves getting numerous enough to contract mange and spread it far enough to thin the ranks back to acceptable levels.
Our friend Roy is 66 next year. He can remember being a small boy and a hired man bringing in the first deer that had been shot on his father's ranch in several years. According to Roy and others I have talked to the wolves killed all the game and then the wolves starved to death or moved on.

I do know that a dog that has died from distemper is a very effective (and evironmentally friendly 8) ) item to throw out where a pack will find it. Just like a pebble in a puddle. :wink:

Hard to find one, there hasn't been any outbreaks in this country since most people vaccinate their dogs now

starvin'dog said:
Seems to be more mangey coyotes around this year again. Found a trodden one in with the yearlings today and another crawling around in the bale yard. This cold snap will bring some a mercifull end.
Do you have mange in the South? Does it eventually kill them or do they run around naked for ever?

There is always something down here with mange,you seen those pictures of the chupakadra ?
Becareful around the mangy coyotes that mange is contagious to humans,hate to see you come down with mange :D
good luck

I helped start a Coyote Calling Contest in our Montana county...(yes, I got some calls from upset "animal lovers") but so many of the coyotes that were killed were mangy and I thought eliminating them did them a favor. I don't like it when there are too many coyotes (and we have too
many coyotes--they are now running in packs; our mule deer population is way down and there are hardly any fawns). I still hate to see them
have mange and freeze to death because of it. Not very humane and
a heck of a way to die. But so it goes...I really feel sorry for the fawns
the coyotes kill too.

They were catching the odd mangy timber wolf here a few years back-there's still lots around but there hard to watch for when your skidding around all the game on the road. Neighbor saw two big blacks about five miles west of home on Saturday and a buddy found a huge that a logging truck hit about 15 miles out of town on the weekend.

Those dogs look to be built for speed and to be efficient at taking down their prey. Can you tell us more about them? Great photo.

Lot's of yote's around here the last few year's, but haven't seen a mangy one for a long time. Had a run of mange probably 15-20 yr's ago and remember being worried about the farm dog's catching it? Can't remember ever hearing of a dog catching mange? Can they? or is it specific to coyote's?? Same question the other way around with Parvo which has pretty well cleaned out any un-vaccinated young dog's in the area in the last 3-4 yr's but doesn't seem to affect coyote's??

Oh yes indeed they can catch mange. We learned the hard way when we brought an abandoned pup home from the vet's office 10 years ago.

Turned out the pup was afflicted with it and passed it along to our dogs and the litter of pups that we had at the time!

The vet came good for cleaning it up and it took a while to be rid of it completely.

But the pup we brought home is still with us today and is just a really sweet natured Collie/heeler cross that we love very much!

Latest posts