• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Marty ranch

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
Hereford76 said:
Also - meant to say faster horses that I think the way that rye grass holds it protein better is just because it is a bunch grass and when it lays over it protects the bottom stuff kinda like a windrow does. If it greens up in the fall it seems to have the best values dead of winter. Kinda comb thru it and the stuff underneath is green. Makes for rough ground tho.

Thanks for the clarification. I brought it up because of those who read this stuff and don't realize that dormant winter grass doesn't have much in it for protein.

Also keep in mind that a grazing cow is usually able to select a diet somewhere about 1.5% higher in protein than a human clipped sample.

rem_243 said:
Faster horses said:
Hereford76 said:
Also - meant to say faster horses that I think the way that rye grass holds it protein better is just because it is a bunch grass and when it lays over it protects the bottom stuff kinda like a windrow does. If it greens up in the fall it seems to have the best values dead of winter. Kinda comb thru it and the stuff underneath is green. Makes for rough ground tho.

Thanks for the clarification. I brought it up because of those who read this stuff and don't realize that dormant winter grass doesn't have much in it for protein.

Also keep in mind that a grazing cow is usually able to select a diet somewhere about 1.5% higher in protein than a human clipped sample.

Interesting and the first time I have ever heard of that.......what is the source, if I may ask. Thanks.

Faster horses said:
rem_243 said:
Faster horses said:

Interesting and the first time I have ever heard of that.......what is the source, if I may ask. Thanks.
Jim Gerrish. I think the number was slightly higher, but I figured it is better to be conservative. I would imagine I could get the exact numbers from him.

Latest posts