• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Meat Packing Mafia

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder said:
I need to comment on this subject. I can't give date or place due to confidential reasons but there was an instance where the USDA inspectors were threatened and things done to them from the very plants they were working at. It was brought to the attention of the USDA and the inspectors were told to back off and let the plants do their thing. Im not saying it was mafia but there is big muscle surrounding these plants. And it wasn't in regards to BSE because it wasn't a cattle slaughter facility. People might say I'm fear mongering but if everyone was honest with themselves they would admit there is much corruption in the world we live in.

"feeder", could it have been a union fighting against the implementation of HACCP where the plant does more of the safety work using modern testing methods rather than the old, "look, smell," system and the inspectors are more supervisory? Food safety has increased since HACCP implementation, but the unions did/do not like it.

BTW, out of curiousity, didn't that story indict unions more than the packing company, in most cases? After all, they can pretty quickly bring a unionized plant to it's knees.

MRJ

HAY MAKER said:
Say agman you ole packer lover you,I didnt know that most of the cattle in Colorado was owned by R CALF members,maybe you oughta hang around a few of em see if some common sense will rub on you......good luck

I expect you are no more right on this assumption than most of your other assumptions.

cedardell said:
The only solution for many in our state is to build our own packing plants. There are several producer owned ones going in around here. Only time will tell if they can compete or whether they get squeezed and bought out as is what usually happens.

Before you decide to build you own plant, which I am not opposed to, you should understand the history of 5 and 10 year longevity rates of new plants. A period of rising demand makes virtually any participant in the beef industry look like a genius. Genius knows no bounds during a period of rising beef demand. Remember, the old statement that a "rising tide lifts all boats". I hope you understand that the tide does change and when it does quess what? Many of those same geniuses will begin to look like fools.

agman said:
HAY MAKER said:
Say agman you ole packer lover you,I didnt know that most of the cattle in Colorado was owned by R CALF members,maybe you oughta hang around a few of em see if some common sense will rub on you......good luck

I expect you are no more right on this assumption than most of your other assumptions.

could be,but I noticed you didnt dispute cow punchers post.........good luck PS That tells me he is right,since you can not prove otherwise.

HAY MAKER said:
agman said:
HAY MAKER said:

could be,but I noticed you didnt dispute cow punchers post.........good luck PS That tells me he is right,since you can not prove otherwise.

Tell me where to find Cowpunchers post. I have not seen it.

MRJ, I don't know what plant story you are talking about, but I believe what I'm referring to never was made public. It was never in any newspapers or TV that I am aware of.

feeder said:
MRJ, I don't know what plant story you are talking about, but I believe what I'm referring to never was made public. It was never in any newspapers or TV that I am aware of.

The "story" I referred to was yours. I asked if it could have been a union fight against HACCP.

There were problems in several plants, when it went into effect, as I recall, but can't cite specific news stories about it.

MRJ

Latest posts