• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Medical Plane crash in Montana

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mtn_90

Reaction score
3 medical people killed, names not released yet...Any one heard about it? Anyone know who was involved? Just read about it on news. Isn't one of the members here a nurse around Bozeman area? The plane crashed outside of Manhattan MT...tragic...I still know quite a few people in and around those areas.... :(

It was a "mercyflight" out of Great Falls...These things always shakes me as my closest neighbor and partners wife is a fight nurse for "STAT" air ambulance out of Glasgow- and my wifes best friend is also one of the flight nurses...

Over the years I've seen these folks fly in weather and go in or out of places that sent chills up and down my back, to get someone to medical treatment....I remember one ambulance pilot- spent more time in front of FAA hearings then he did at home, for some of the stunts he pulled to get a critical patient in or out of a closed airport---Definitely a risky job- especially the helicoptor air rescue units.....

Plane crashes near Gallatin Field Airport
By The Associated Press

MANHATTAN - A twin-engine medical airplane en route to Bozeman crashed near here late Tuesday, killing all three people on board, authorities said.

Benefis Healthcare in Great Falls confirmed its ''MercyFlight,'' a King Air 200 turboprop, was flying to Bozeman for a patient transport when the crash occurred. The pilot, a nurse and a paramedic were killed.

''We are devastated by the loss of our beloved friends, co-workers and members of our community,'' says Julie Hickethier, chief clinical officer. ''This is a time of tremendous mourning for our entire organization.''

Benefis Healthcare declined to identify the deceased, pending notification of family members. The aircraft apparently disappeared from radar shortly after 9 p.m. while inbound for the Gallatin Field Airport.

Gallatin County Sheriff Jim Cashell said the crash was reported at about 9:15 p.m. The crash site is about 15 miles northwest of the airport.

Searchers and rescue crews had to use all-terrain vehicles and Jeeps to reach the crash site.

Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board investigators were expected to arrive at the crash scene Wednesday morning.

Records indicate the airplane is owned by a Louisiana company and leased to Benefis.

Wednesday, February 07 2007 @ 08:06
A Mercy Flight (Great Falls, MT) fixed-wing crashed on Tuesday, Feb 6, 2007, killing all three crew members on board, including pilot Vince Kirol, flight paramedic Paul Erickson and flight nurse Darcy Dengel.

One of my co-workers used to work at Benefis hospital in great falls and she remembers all 3 very well....went to school with Darcy and spoke highly of the 2 gentlemen....the 33 year old paramedic left a wife and 7 month old son and the 58 year old pilot (who had 40 years of flying experience) left a wife and 2 children...Darcy was engaged to be married to a great falls police officer!! How tragic that they lost their lives en route to saving another!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Indeed it is ranchwife...makes a person ponder your own mortality, and how fast it can disappear...

mtn_90 said:
Indeed it is ranchwife...makes a person ponder your own mortality, and how fast it can disappear...

we were just saying the same thing yesterday when they identified the victims.....we nurses passed around a sympathy card and a manila envelope to collect donations for the surviving families and the kids!!! Life is wayyyy to unpredictable and ya just never know.....we all wanna live to a ripe old age and to be able to see grandkids and great-grandkids, but sometimes the good Lord just needs some of his angels home with him!!

Latest posts