• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Message for nurses on the board

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
I know there are some farmers/nurses on the board like my wife and I.
Our nurses union had a win today against the government in our state,we have received a pay rise which will be quite nice,its back dated to January 1 this year. Makes RNs pay worthwhile now.
We are at last one of the better paid professions now. It will help lots of farmers wives (and husbands too) in our state that are battling the drought.

Colin

Australian Cattleman said:
Our nurses union had a win today against the government in our state,we have received a pay rise which will be quite nice,its back dated to January 1 this year. Makes RNs pay worthwhile now.
We are at last one of the better paid professions now. It will help lots of farmers wives (and husbands too) in our state that are battling the drought.

Colin

Be careful here, Colin, there are many at this site that don't believe anyone should fight for a pay raise- they don't like unions. I have worked where there were unions and where there weren't and there was no comparison. Congratulations to you and your wife.

I'm not that big of a lover of unions. Our nurses union finally dug their heels in and won the pay rise for us. Our useless labour government in our state were going to lock us into an agreement till 2008 not to negotiate for a rise till after 2008. Meanwhile all other medical related unions were cruising along with their yearly pay rises.
Only have 4 years to go till nursing retirement,looking forward to that. Nursing used to be fun but there is too much politics these days and litigation etc.
Colin & Helen

TSR said:
Australian Cattleman said:

Colin

Be careful here, Colin, there are many at this site that don't believe anyone should fight for a pay raise- they don't like unions. I have worked where there were unions and where there weren't and there was no comparison. Congratulations to you and your wife.

Don't worry colin!!! unions have good and bad and the best of the good is getting the pay you deserve!! here in ennis, we are not union and therefore are the lowest paid nurses in the state of montana!!! hell, i was making more in wyoming 4 years ago than i am here now!!!! guess, that's why i do the work...for the love of the patient...surely cannot be for the money!! :wink: :wink:

Congratulations, Colin and Mrs. Colin on a pay raise.
I'm with you that the threat of litigation is like working under an axe ready to fall. That is one reason I don't miss being a retired nurse.

ranchwife, intresting that you compared the wages in Wyoming to the wages in Montana. Wyoming is a RIGHT-TO-WORK state, yet the average income in Wyoming is higher than Montana. The coal mines around Gillette, for instance, pay union scale to keep the workers happy and the unions OUT.

Why do you suppose your wages were higher in Wyoming?

Teachers in Wyoming get paid considerably more than those in Montana as well. Sometimes, I really think the powers that be really want only RICH folks in this state. It seems to me, ND, SD, Wyo. and Texas governments are all friendlier toward their farmers and ranchers than Montana is. Or am I the only one who has noticed this?

Faster horses said:
ranchwife, intresting that you compared the wages in Wyoming to the wages in Montana. Wyoming is a RIGHT-TO-WORK state, yet the average income in Wyoming is higher than Montana. The coal mines around Gillette, for instance, pay union scale to keep the workers happy and the unions OUT.

Why do you suppose your wages were higher in Wyoming?

Teachers in Wyoming get paid considerably more than those in Montana as well. Sometimes, I really think the powers that be really want only RICH folks in this state. It seems to me, ND, SD, Wyo. and Texas governments are all friendlier toward their farmers and ranchers than Montana is. Or am I the only one who has noticed this?

100% agreement, here, FH!!! the cost of living in most parts of our state have become absolutely ridiculous compared to our pitiful wages....i found that because wyoming is a right to work state, folks there seemed to enjoy their work and still did the work for the love of it....when i worked in wyoming at the prison as a nurse there, i was part of a privately contracted medical service (Correctional Medical Services) and the pay was wonderful as were the benefits....when i worked at the prison here in montana in the same capacity (nurse), i made about half the wages and i was forced to be "union" and union dues were taken out of my check...believe me, the union there did absolutely NOTHING for the nurses there....they only worked for the "officers" and the nurses were certainly not a priority!! I still do my work for the love of it as does the hubby...we most definitely are not into the ranching for the money...however, i just got word that i am in the running for the 10 bazillion dollar give away from Publishers Clearinghouse....will keep you posted :D :wink:

Sorry ranchwife-- I'm got notified I will be THE big bazillion dollar winner :lol: :lol: :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Sorry ranchwife-- I'm got notified I will be THE big bazillion dollar winner :lol: :lol: :wink:

Sorry Oldtimer - I'm the winner! Hey, maybe we should all go in cahoots and pool the money should one of us win.

Mike said:
Oldtimer said:

Sorry Oldtimer - I'm the winner! Hey, maybe we should all go in cahoots and pool the money should one of us win.

sorry, guys.....already go the money spent and my retirement is waiting as is my private island off of new zealand!!! :wink:

ranch wife I think there is a shortage of nurses here so come on up and get a job.. :) As far as the 30 an hr for starting wage is what they are telling my daughter at the university.She has one yr left of her nursing.3rd yr nursing student are getting 20 bucks an hr. Its a 4 yr course here.

Les said:
ranch wife I think there is a shortage of nurses here so come on up and get a job.. :) As far as the 30 an hr for starting wage is what they are telling my daughter at the university.She has one yr left of her nursing.3rd yr nursing student are getting 20 bucks an hr. Its a 4 yr course here.

brand new graduate nurses in my neck of the woods are lucky to start out at $16 an hour...unless they go to a much bigger hospital and therefore a bigger "city" (ichhhh)!! may have to see about moving north :wink:

ranch wife come on up I have a condo in the city and I will be looking for a renter next spring and with your big new wage i can charge the hell out of you lol

Latest posts