• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MICE, MICE EVERYWHERE!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ranchwife said:
Faster horses said:
I feel for you. I'd move out.

I HATE MICE!

We had shrews once (they look like a wet mouse with a stubby tail and smell musky like a skunk.) They don't get in food, but they do get in clothing. We got an exterminator. That is what I would suggest if you have that many MICE. YUK~I can't stand 'em.... :(

YUP!!! I have seen the little critters running around at night and have heard them in the walls, but the real kicker was when i found dead babies in the dresser drawer where i keep my "girlie clothes".......they had shredded half my undies :shock: NOT GOOD!!! :shock: :shock:

Were they making thongs????????

ranchwife said:
Shelly said:
I feel for you, too. Living in a trailer like we do, it seems we are always having to deal with them. Actually, it's not we, it's me! Husband won't have nothing to do with them. Wussy!

I think our hubbys are related!!! :? :? Mine is the same...says "they don't eat much honey and they are more scared of you than you are of them"..he just does not seem to understand how unnerving it is when you find dead baby mice in your underwear drawer!!! EEEEWWWW!!

The worst for me was last summer when I discovered they'd gotten in my closet and were running back and forth along the rod where I hang my best clothes. They'd s*** and p***ed all over them all. Some I managed to wash and get clean, some were beyond saving and hit the garbage. Suffice it to say, I was red-lining and it was all directed at dear hubby for making me have to live in this damn trailer. I WANT A HOUSE!!!

Bward said:
have to live in this damn trailer. I WANT A HOUSE!!!

Amen!

We were in a trailer for 21 years. Ran a trap line and they never got out of control but had phone lines chewed and such. Wife hates mice. We built a house in 2000. Used the foam block concrete forms so our walls are a foot thick with 6.5 inches of concrete. thought ot was mouse proof but son left for college last fall and left his basement bedroom window open a crack and we got a mouse. Got him trapped but it was a good thing the son was in Alberta cause wifey was a little mad about things.

When emptying out the trailer before it was move away we seemed to chase a mouse from room to room. We got to calling him Stuart Little. My son was taping the fridge door shut as it was being preped to move and saw the mouse and said good bye Stuart and the fellow that bought the trailer wondered who he was talking too.

Longgg time ago in our first house after marriage, we hadda neighbor that had roof high weeds all over her lot.....we kept our lil yard mowed all nice n perdy....then one day she decided to do some cleanin up..had someone come in with a bushhog mower and took down all them huge weeds.....omg at the mice that invaded my house..over night....
I was sittin watchin tv one night after hubby had gone to bed....stuff started movin...here n there...n ever where..I finally seen one of them lil beggers on the back of a recliner..just sittin there lookin at me. OK Time for action. I go wake up hubby..to set traps....got em set..he went back to bed n no more'n got the covers pulled up when traps went to snappin. I went back in and got him to come empty traps.....(cuz I wasn't touchin em).....few nights of that n he was fed up....he told me...git a bb gun or learn to empty n reset the traps..I was interuptin his beauty rest. The bb gun was tempting but I finally learned to put on my gloves...n empty the traps then reset usin peanut butter..(best mouse bait around, they love the stuff) I didnt count how many we caught total but it was a bunch...

When we moved our house in, a friend jokingly said we needed traffic lights to control the mouse traffic downstairs. I got a cat, and, while I don't like cleaning up cat hair, I will happily do it rather than have mice in the house. At any rate, when the cat moved in, the mice moved out. The cat brings me a shrew every once in a while, but that's it. I was also told that Bounce sheets help keep mice away, and use them in the holiday trailers and at the cabin. Don't know if its true, but haven't had any mice in them lately either.

when i first started farming i had 410 massey combine and there was always mice in the cab and engine area.I suppose there was mice thro out the whole damn thing.Anyways one day i was moving the combine to a new field and i felt something on my shoulder and turned my head to look and a mouse was looking me square in the eye. Sure glad i was not going very fast or I would have crashed i am sure.

DJL said:
When we moved our house in, a friend jokingly said we needed traffic lights to control the mouse traffic downstairs. I got a cat, and, while I don't like cleaning up cat hair, I will happily do it rather than have mice in the house. At any rate, when the cat moved in, the mice moved out. The cat brings me a shrew every once in a while, but that's it. I was also told that Bounce sheets help keep mice away, and use them in the holiday trailers and at the cabin. Don't know if its true, but haven't had any mice in them lately either.

Bounce doesn't work! I had every piece of equipment filled with them sheets, and still had lots of mice in everything! They literally moved into every tractor and every truck. I had a neighbour bring us cats, and the mouse population has dwindled somewhat, but there's still lots. Totally ruined our Case-IH 9230 4WD, I can't stand to be in it for the smell. We tried everything to clean it out, but there is still that lingering odour under all the cleaning products and hubby's cigar smoke. Everybody around here has a bone on for the foxes and coyotes, I say leave them be because they help control the mouse and mole populations.

We have a lot of outside cats, with some that live in the shop, and don't associate with the ones in the barn, and of course the house cat doesn't associate with any of the peasants, so don't have a mouse problem anymore. Our stack yard is a half mile from the house too, which helps, compared to when it was only a very short distance away. I would much rather feed cats than put up with mice anyday. I've used various types of mouse poison in the cabin, and find that as soon as I get one that works, it becomes unavailable, so I'm right back to square one again. It is rather frustrating. I don't use poison and cats in the same area for fear the poison will take out the cats.

This has been a most interesting thread, albeit a most creepy subject.

I want to warn you all, though, that an electrician told us the electronic things that are supposed to keep mice away (I don't think they work either) cause a lot of fires. So we unplugged ours. As I say, I don't think they work anyway and no sense taking a chance.

Faster horses said:
This has been a most interesting thread, albeit a most creepy subject.

I want to warn you all, though, that an electrician told us the electronic things that are supposed to keep mice away (I don't think they work either) cause a lot of fires. So we unplugged ours. As I say, I don't think they work anyway and no sense taking a chance.

Mice are nasty little creatures that transmit all kinds of diseases via viruses and bacteria. My vet claims that almost all cases of Lepto in cattle can be attributed to rats or mice.
And don't forget that the "Plague" in Europe was spread by rats and mice.
Scary and creepy.

Shelly said:
DJL said:

Bounce doesn't work! I had every piece of equipment filled with them sheets, and still had lots of mice in everything! They literally moved into every tractor and every truck. I had a neighbour bring us cats, and the mouse population has dwindled somewhat, but there's still lots. Totally ruined our Case-IH 9230 4WD, I can't stand to be in it for the smell. We tried everything to clean it out, but there is still that lingering odour under all the cleaning products and hubby's cigar smoke. Everybody around here has a bone on for the foxes and coyotes, I say leave them be because they help control the mouse and mole populations.

Shelly, you might try a small bowl of plain old ammonia set in the tractor overnight. It's really good at absorbing odors. Worst case scenario, you won't have the hubby's cigar smell anymore! If the ammonia doesn't neutralize the mouse smell, try spraying the cab liberally with vinegar and water. Motels use it to deal with inebriated people who vomit and have 'accidents' in the beds.

Tried the ammonia, didn't work. I'll take the cigar smoke, anything's better than that mouse smell! :wink:

We had a friend who lived in an old farmhouse, we called the place the "carrot farm" as they (the owners) tried to grow carrots there at one time. He lived alone and wasn't home very often, so guess what? The mice moved in. He had a name for all of them - "Pixie" and "Dixie" from the cartoons. His dad came to visit one time, set a bunch of traps in the kitchen, grabbed a beer and went to sit in the livingroom and heard "snap" "snap" "snap" "snap" so all of his traps were full and so he started all over. Still didn't make much headway over the Pixies and the Dixies of the world.

We were at the Carrot farm one Sunday afternoon, drinking beer, and our friend who lived there with Pixie and Dixie had kitchen drain problems. He decided to try M-80's to clear out his kitchen drain. He put some water in the sink, lit and held an M-80 till the fuse was short, dropped it down the drain, we turned our backs and ran. It WORKED!!!

Also remember the year we had chipmunks. They were everywhere, running across the top rails of the fences, and we thought they were so cute. Welllllll, went to move bales out of the field, air conditioning didn't work and the fan hardly blew and the air smelled like mold. Started investigating and the little "cute" buggers had stashed all the whole corn they possible could (came out of our grain bin) in the space where the fan was. Cleaned it out, next day they did it again. Not only that, the holes in the posts where the gate latches fit into the posts were filled with whole corn. They had it stashed everywhere!! Son decided to catch one, put it in a cage, wifey was not happy about keeping the darn thing in the house as she just purchased a brand new sectional couch. Welllllll, one morning wifey hears "chang" "chang" "chang" "chang" (the noise of chipmunks) sitting on the windowsill. Wellll, wifey was very unhappy as she proceeded to tell us that chipmunks are burrowing animals and if that little bugger made a hole in her new couch.... wellll, guess what? He made himself right at home in that nice, brand new couch. That's how we caught it. I felt bad so I sewed the hole shut myself. :oops:

Too bad about the hole in your couch. :? :wink:

Speaking of chipmunks reminds me of the Chipmunk Singers. I loved them when I was a kid, and couldn't understand why my dad didn't. Now it is easy to see why he didn't like them, because now I don't either. One Christmas season, they were singing "The First Leon." Pretty soon they figured out they had their music upside down, and the song was really "The First Noel." Guess I prefer Bing Crosby singing the Christmas songs. :)

Shelly said:
And hantavirus. Everyone, please use all precautions when dealing with mice, especially deer mice.

EXCELLENT point, Shelly!!!!!!!! We had a confirmed case of Hanta Virus in a 13 year old boy from a ranch only about 75 miles from home....kid was reportedly cleaning out old barns and got pretty sick....lucky for him, he was diagnosed correctly and today is alive to tell the story!!! :shock:

Latest posts