• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Minerals?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tom4018

Reaction score
Would you consider these good minerals?

Is CTC needed in the mix?

UK Beef IRM
High Magnesium Mineral
A Free Choice Mineral for Beef Cattle on Pasture Where Conditions for Grass Tetany Exist.
Guaranteed Analysis
Calcium, minimum........................... 12.0%
Calcium, maximum.......................... 13.0%
Phosphorus, minimum..................... 6.5%
Salt, minimum.................................. 14.5%
Salt, maximum................................. 15.5%
Magnesium, minimum..................... 15.0%
(33.3% of the Magnesium is in the Prilled form)
Potassium, minimum....................... 0.1%
Sulfur, minimum............................... 0.3%
Copper, minimum........................ 1400 ppm
Selenium, minimum..................... 26.4 ppm
Zinc, minimum............................. 3000 ppm
Manganese, minimum................. 3500 ppm
Iodine, minimum.......................... 50 ppm
Cobalt, minimum.......................... 10 ppm
Vitamin A, minimum................... 200,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, minimum..................... 2 00 IU/lb

UK Beef IRM
Basic Cow-Calf Mineral
A Free Choice Mineral for Beef Cattle
on Pasture
Guaranteed Analysis
Calcium, minimum.......................... 12.0%
Calcium, maximum......................... 13.0%
Phosphorus, minimum.................... 6.0%
Salt, minimum................................. 22.0%
Salt, maximum................................ 25.0%
Magnesium, minimum..................... 2.0%
Potassium, minimum....................... 0.5%
Sulfur, minimum.............................. 0.3%
Copper, minimum......................... 1600 ppm
Selenium, minimum..................... 35.2 ppm
Zinc, minimum.............................. 3200 ppm
Manganese, minimum.................. 4500 ppm
Iodine, minimum........................... 65 ppm
Cobalt, minimum.......................... 15 ppm
Vitamin A, minimum................... 250,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, minimum..................... 250 IU/lb

I use CTC in mine from Jan 1st to september 15th.I have had good luck and would'nt quit useing it.

Denny, please refresh my memory. What is CTC?

Hey Faster Horses! You'll be happy to know I recently bought a pallet of 3V4S. Was feeding 32 S Plus previously.

The gals are really going for the new mineral but have slacked off a bit the last couple days. Haven't started calving yet but probably a week away or less.

I think it's mostly used as a anaplas treatment or preventer or something John but it's also vascular expander I have heard and some use it on cows grazing fescue because fescue is a vascular restrictor.

I have to admit I don't know what fescue is either. I think that must be a suthern thang that all ya'all have to deal with.:lol: :D

Here, among other grasses we have buffalo grass and N-wool. Better not say any more or I would get in trouble like Don Imus! :roll: :D :lol:

RR, we have cheat grass which is a weed. But at the earliest stage before it heads out and matures it is good feed. It's the first thing that really gets going in the spring.

Even in the fall after a dry summer if we get some rain cheat grass will green up and make some grazing. Miserable stuff in the hayfield when it's mature and headed out, and just the right height to beat the heck out of your swather or mower. And worthless as feed after it heads out.

Tom, I apologize for hijacking your thread. But I'm glad you brought your post over here! :wink: :lol:

CTC (chlortetracycline) probably shouldn't be fed unless it's needed. We've used it on occasion for sickness in weaned calves. The veternarian and feed salesman's advice is to hit 'em hard for a few days and then stop feeding it so as to prevent antibiotic resistance.

We have a type of fescue here also, but I don't think it amounts to much. On this ranch I probably have 20 to 30 different kinds of grasses. Used to cuss some of them, until I found they were real good at certain times of the year.

Fescue makes a decent hay... I have a coule hayfields that I seeded several years ago (need working up and reseeding) that the primary grass's are Tall Fescue and Orchardgrass- also has some brome, alfalfa, & alsike clover in it and Garrison Creeping Foxtail in the low areas where water stands....
The fescue and orchardgrass really grows well in cool weather and has jumped several inches in the last few days....Cows are really liking the new green....

I love fescue will take it over any grass. But you have to manage it as you would anything else. Rotational graze it keep it from heading out and cant be beat. Keep a 20 to 30 percent legume in it like a white clover or a red. Cows do great plus its the best stockpiling grass in the world. As far as that mineral i felt they were a little low in vitamin e but other than that pretty decent mineral.

I think if a person had a detailed list of the ingredients in this mineral would be helpful. Some of these ingredients are more available to the animal than others.

shorthorn said:
I love fescue will take it over any grass. But you have to manage it as you would anything else. Rotational graze it keep it from heading out and cant be beat. Keep a 20 to 30 percent legume in it like a white clover or a red. Cows do great plus its the best stockpiling grass in the world. As far as that mineral i felt they were a little low in vitamin e but other than that pretty decent mineral.
You're my kind of fella. I have to sell seed somewhere. It's a lot better yard grass than it is a pasture grass.

passin thru said:
I think if a person had a detailed list of the ingredients in this mineral would be helpful. Some of these ingredients are more available to the animal than others.

Here is where they are listed.

http://www.rs.uky.edu/sections/feed/regulatoryarticles/UK%20Beef%20IRM%20Mineral%20Recommendations.pdf

started using ctc in my mineral three years ago durring the summer months only and it basicly stopped the pinkeye problems that i was having. did it on the advice of the vet, and it worked. have always used a good mineral, either purina or moormans (adm) with igr in it. a good mineral program saves money.

Jinglebob said:
We have a type of fescue here also, but I don't think it amounts to much. On this ranch I probably have 20 to 30 different kinds of grasses. Used to cuss some of them, until I found they were real good at certain times of the year.

I wasn't a 4H kid and don't know my grasses very well. I'll have to get ya to show me some this fescue sometime JB! :wink: :lol:

Here are three tags that I had around just for comparison. Sorry they are a little rough looking. I use the last one most of the time and the second one I use for about a month or so (last couple weeks before turn out and a couple weeks into it just for good measure.. Has served me well and plan to continue.

Coop2.jpg

VT3v2smgctc.jpg

VT3vs2.jpg

Stretch, the 3v4S I'm feeding has more calcium, and less salt. Everything else is similar. I think this cost $17+/bag.

Latest posts